McLaren Life banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member, been in the market to pick up a new car and been eyeing some McLarens, mostly the 600LT and 720S, maybe the 675LT too. Its been a few years since I had something sporty or been the track, and deeply missing it. For a while, just had funds tied up elsewhere, and a lack of garage space, but fortunately both of those constraints have been lifted and itching to put my foot on the throttle.

Really torn between the 720S and the LTs though. The 720S is super sexy and love the body lines, but seems more subdued than the LTs. I used to have an R8 V10, but traded it in for a 991.1 GT3... one of the main things being the R8 was nice, but more subtle in feel than the GT3. If I'm looking for something to rival the driver experience of the GT3, seems like the LT is the way to go.

I was leaning towards purchasing used, but the one thing luring me in the 720S is that there is one available in Cirrus Grey. That color totally reminds me of the Suzuka Grey of my R8, which I just loved.

I also wonder about taking the 600LT to Laguna Seca with its exhaust setup. I never really had to worry about breaking sound with the R8. However the GT3, had the whole side flared Laguna pipes and would have to limp up turn 5. With the 600LT's exhaust, they look cool and probably sound amazing, but curious if it is a struggle as well.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
720s - G.O.A.T. and a passing machine. You will never get bored of it at Laguna Seca. It's a highlight film when watching videos later. W.O.T. by the sound station and they will get you at around 97 decibels. You will have to lift momentarily and back onto full power. Do not downshift before or under the bridge at turn 6 and you will be fine.

600 LT - 90% of the time you will be able to make 90 decibels at W.O.T. without lifting or shortshifting. The top facing exhaust allows you to meet the 90 db. The odd time (weather related), they might give you a flag.

720s is produced in greater numbers. You will be in a sea of 720's on exotic type drives and/or cars and coffee. 600 LT is a bit more special in this way and so is 675 LT. However, 720s will spank the 600 LT in the speed department.

I've had both... I'm a big fan of 720s. My experience is that if one goes for the "deal" rather then the car in their head (in your case 720s), then they wind up with the car in their head a few months later. I have seen this many times.

Reactions: aorta and rnixon

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had both... I'm a big fan of 720s. My experience is that if one goes for the "deal" rather then the car in their head (in your case 720s), then they wind up with the car in their head a few months later. I have seen this many times.
Yes, I am not necessarily looking for a better deal, since I totally get the threat. Hoping to test drive both in the next week or so.

I think overall I'm leaning to the 720S, but its the 600LT in the back of my mind. I am not getting it necessarily as a luxury, I'd like like a solid driver experience. But, I'll also have to be driving it to/from the track like 2-3 hours each way, so don't want it to grate on you after a while. The GT3 had a nice balance... at WOT it was a screamer and was fun in the Caldecott tunnel and all.

My thinking is to see the 600LT first so I have it as a frame of reference before heading out to the 720S.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The 720 is way faster and much more raw than its Lamborghini or Ferrari counterparts(or audi). It's going to ride much better than the 600 and be a much better daily. The 600 isn't too exclusive either they really pumped them out. I think (for the road) the 720 also has much better steering and steering feel. Plus the power is just nuts.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Honestly, I recently traded my 570S for a 720S after driving a 600LT. A good friend had a 600LT and it was a total nightmare with problems. That's not the case but the difference in the drive on the 600 LT vs. the 570 was incremental. Like driving a Carrera S then hopping into a GT3. Same car but more precise and sharper. The 720S is another class entirely, I think the 720 is the way to go after driving mine for a few weeks. I haven't tracked the car, nor do I plan on it because I have a race car, but feeling the power and pull in the 720 from 60 MPH and up, I really want to see it on track. Also the active Aero is pretty cool for a track.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ended up picking up the 720S today. I went and checked out the 600LT on Thursday, purposely didn't let myself just cave and buy it then. Wanted to see the 720S while the 600LT was still fresh on my mind, so made the drive to McLaren San Francisco today and just loved the 720S, especially the Cirrus Grey.

Unfortunately had other stuff to do this afternoon, so basically got home, parked it in the garage, and went off to get other stuff done. Weill be sure to get it out tomorrow and snap some better pics.

·
Premium Member
2019 720S Coupe Track Pack
146 Posts
Congratulation! I'm sure you'll be over the moon with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts