McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I just signed for my new MP4-12C and could not have been happier. I am picking it up on Saturday. I didnt just want any random Mclaren, I wanted a sick one with great optional extras.

2012 MP4-12C in Graphite with MY13 upgrade to 616hp (wanted color to go with the Fiat Abarth)
2200miles on the odo with one owner.

- Sport Exhaust (sounds like a beast!!!!!)
- Carbon Ceramic Brakes
- Super Lightweight graphite wheels
- Engine Carbon
- Stealth Package
- Interior Carbon
- Premium sound Meridian

Pictures: http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail/photos/multiPhotoPopup.jsp?paId=506273446&tracktype=usedcc&aff=national#6

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Hi Jerome, welcome to the boards! If you don't mind my asking, how was your experience buying through McLaren Greenwich?

The car looks great!

-nh4.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Jerome, welcome to the boards! If you don't mind my asking, how was your experience buying through McLaren Greenwich?

The car looks great!

-nh4.
I had a terrible experience a year ago with them when trying to buy an SLS AMG from their Ferrari dealer. When I went up there last week to look at the cars, I though I was wasting my time.

The Mclaren experience at Miller was a different story. I worked there with Peter Chiappone, he's a great guy maybe on the brink of being a little bit too formal. After 30 seconds of having entered the dealership, my brother (23yrs) and I (25yrs) had expressos in our hand. The whole dealership politely came out of their office to greet us. 10 minutes later we were trying out the car. Peter worked with us to work out something which was a win/win for both. We felt happy with the deal and with the car. I strongly reccomend them!

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Glad to hear you were treated well on the McLaren side at Miller. I was treated like dirt, well, really I was mostly ignored or given strange looks, when I walked into my local BMW dealership to buy an M3 when I was 25.

Until there is a Boston McLaren dealership (supposed to be sometime this year) Miller is my closest option. I've asked a few folks about their experience there and nearly everyone dealt with Peter and the reviews are consistently good.

Also, I sent you a PM, which I only mention here as other folks have recently mentioned not getting PMs in other threads.

-nh4.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Glad to hear you were treated well on the McLaren side at Miller. I was treated like dirt, well, really I was mostly ignored or given strange looks, when I walked into my local BMW dealership to buy an M3 when I was 25.

Until there is a Boston McLaren dealership (supposed to be sometime this year) Miller is my closest option. I've asked a few folks about their experience there and nearly everyone dealt with Peter and the reviews are consistently good.

Also, I sent you a PM, which I only mention here as other folks have recently mentioned not getting PMs in other threads.

-nh4.
Is Herb Chambers putting in a Mclaren dealership in Boston?

Welcome to Mclarenlife Jerome.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

-nh4.
I lived for 5 years in Boston. Herb Chambers quite doushy with me even after buying a Cayenne S, a Panamera 4S and a Jeep SRT8. They do have a nice 12C for sale right now though.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Nice car, I have seen the car online. Only thing I would get them to add while things are in your favor is carbon front splitter and the rear carbon diffusor. Everyting else looks great.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Jerome
Congrats with your new Mclaren. As you know I also live in NYC.
It was a pleasure meeting you and your brother at Miller last Saturday.
You’ll find that there service is also quite outstanding.
The one thing I would tell you to do living in NYC is put on SKID PLATES.
Joe Lafaro in there service dept. knows all about it.
Once again Congrats..
Steve

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Jon,

I have nothing really concrete on if Herb Chambers is opening a McLaren Dealership or not. Folks more in the know than I am had mentioned that a Boston-area dealership was in the works as one of the new 2013 locations.

I had posted a link to the thread pasted below showing a comment from HC himself stating they had applied to be a McLaren dealer. The idea that they have three 12c coupes for sale currently, that those three were owned by executives within HC, and that those three cars are there because those executives all upgraded to the spider tells me there is the potential for them to open a McLaren dealership and immediately have 6 cars to roll into McLaren Qualified, or tease out as used inventory. This is all my speculation though, but in the rather questionable thought processes that go on in my head, it seems to make sense :D

http://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/mclaren-lounge/2512-mike-flewitt-ceo-50-stores-end-2013-new-car-every-year-3.html

Herb Chambers himself has had an F1 for quite sometime. Here's a walk-around video of it. You can hear HC talking about the car in the background.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXqMUshl6gg

-nh4.

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Jerome,

A few months ago I had called to talk to someone about the Volcano Orange 12c that HC has in stock. The guy I talked to confirmed that he'd be there at the time we agreed on, that he would have access to the car, and that I would at least be able to get in to it. I asked a few questions that he said he'd need to look into and we left it that he'd just let me know the answers when we met.

On the way yo the dealer, we get a call from them, confirming we're coming. I tell them we're on our way. We get there, the guy I originally talked to "isn't available". I tell the lady at the desk that I don't mind waiting as he had some info on questions I had asked. She makes a call and all of a sudden now the guy wasn't in that day... Awesome.

We get another sales guy. He was nice, but I was told that the only one who has the keys to open the car is the exec that owns it, and he's not in either. I explain that the original salesman I talked to was supposed to get info on a few questions and that he said access to the car would be available. The new sales guy goes and get a sales manager....

The sales manager proceeds to tell me the only way I'll drive the car is with a signed P&S with an out-clause saying the sale is conditional on me driving it. When I tell him I didn't expect to drive it, just sit in it and check out the interior he tells me the same deal applies to that. With that, the sales manager left, and the sales guy asked if I had any questions. I asked the same questions I had asked the guy I originally talked to on the phone... Much the same, the new sales guy couldn't answer them. So what'd he do? He called Peter at Miller Motorworks (McLaren Greenwich).

So yeah, I'm hoping if they do get a dedicated dealership they'll be a bit better, but my first experience with Herb Chambers wasn't really a good one!

-nh4.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Jerome,

A few months ago I had called to talk to someone about the Volcano Orange 12c that HC has in stock. The guy I talked to confirmed that he'd be there at the time we agreed on, that he would have access to the car, and that I would at least be able to get in to it. I asked a few questions that he said he'd need to look into and we left it that he'd just let me know the answers when we met.

On the way yo the dealer, we get a call from them, confirming we're coming. I tell them we're on our way. We get there, the guy I originally talked to "isn't available". I tell the lady at the desk that I don't mind waiting as he had some info on questions I had asked. She makes a call and all of a sudden now the guy wasn't in that day... Awesome.

We get another sales guy. He was nice, but I was told that the only one who has the keys to open the car is the exec that owns it, and he's not in either. I explain that the original salesman I talked to was supposed to get info on a few questions and that he said access to the car would be available. The new sales guy goes and get a sales manager....

The sales manager proceeds to tell me the only way I'll drive the car is with a signed P&S with an out-clause saying the sale is conditional on me driving it. When I tell him I didn't expect to drive it, just sit in it and check out the interior he tells me the same deal applies to that. With that, the sales manager left, and the sales guy asked if I had any questions. I asked the same questions I had asked the guy I originally talked to on the phone... Much the same, the new sales guy couldn't answer them. So what'd he do? He called Peter at Miller Motorworks (McLaren Greenwich).

So yeah, I'm hoping if they do get a dedicated dealership they'll be a bit better, but my first experience with Herb Chambers wasn't really a good one!

-nh4.
That's weird! They are very nice to me at their Lamborghini dealership. Not to be rude! Are you really in the position to buy one? Those sales people usually can sense that. You need to speak with Charles Sagbini if you want to make an offer. He is the general manager of the Lynnfield Mercedes on Route 1.and he is super cool. The fire black belongs to Herb Chamber Volcano orange belongs to his assistant and the white one was from a dealer in Florida - The collection. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jerome,

-nh4.
Honestly, I contacted Peter at miller a couple weeks before my visit. They were very professional. Herb Chambers are not cool to deal with...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jerome
Congrats with your new Mclaren. As you know I also live in NYC.
It was a pleasure meeting you and your brother at Miller last Saturday.
You’ll find that there service is also quite outstanding.
The one thing I would tell you to do living in NYC is put on SKID PLATES.
Joe Lafaro in there service dept. knows all about it.
Once again Congrats..
Steve
Thanks Steve,

Just got your PM I will send you my number too. I just emailed Peter about the Skid Plates.

·
Owner
893 Posts
@nh4
When I first read about your crappy experience at this dealership :( .... I thought: Perhaps you didn't come off as one who was ready to stroke a check; You surely are aware that most top-notch sales staff have a wicked sixth-sense regarding customers who walk into their exotic car showroom. Face it, they get tons of lookie-loo's all day long; I guess we could label this as 'sales profiling'. :)

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
clover / LimeyBloke,

I certainly don't look like I could dish out McLaren money, and I likely would be 'sales profiled' (I'm going to steal that term by the way!). I posted earlier in this thread about my experience trying to get attention at a BMW dealership to buy an M3. I was 25ish and probably looked like I had just woken up from sleeping in the back of a delivery truck. So, in some respects, I certainly didn't do myself any favors!

In the case of Herb Chambers, one of the main reasons I called ahead was to confirm that I would be able to check out the car, both inside and out. I was honest with the guy up front in telling him that I'm still looking around at options (that was probably a mistake). I had no expectation of actually driving the car being I was a ways off from purchase, and I told the sales guy that. The one confirmation I wanted, and was given, was that I 'd be able to get in the car and check out the interior. I certainly understand that the dealer is not going to let just anyone mess with their McLaren, but that was the whole reason I called ahead.

It's 'live and learn' I guess. With the opening of a Boston-area dealer, McLaren becomes a much more real option for me. I'm waiting to see what the P13, new NSX, and redesigned R8 looks like before pulling the trigger, but having a McLaren shop closer than 3.5 hours away (how long it would take to get to Miller) certainly bumps them up the list a bit!

-nh4.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I'm a firm believer in don't judge a book by its cover, and I'm talking from experience. Some of the wealthiest people that I've come to know are extremely low key, so this theory of a sales person having a sixth sense is somewhat flawed. Some of these car sales people shouldn't be in sales for several reasons to name a few judgmental, moody, uneducated and extremely lazy. So the only loser in this whole scenario is the idiot sales person who's made the wrong assumption on you and your bank account. Once again don't judge a book by its cover or you may get bit. Good luck with your future purchase of vehicle that will turn your crank. Cheers.....??

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm a firm believer in don't judge a book by its cover, and I'm talking from experience. Some of the wealthiest people that I've come to know are extremely low key, so this theory of a sales person having a sixth sense is somewhat flawed. Some of these car sales people shouldn't be in sales for several reasons to name a few judgmental, moody, uneducated and extremely lazy. So the only loser in this whole scenario is the idiot sales person who's made the wrong assumption on you and your bank account. Once again don't judge a book by its cover or you may get bit. Good luck with your future purchase of vehicle that will turn your crank. Cheers.....??
While that might be true, most of the wealthy and low profile old money family I know are not into cars. Let's face it, Ben Chen didn't even need to see or test drive the car when he got his Veyron. With the lack of exotic dealerships, most would tend to buy it sight unseen or without a test drive.

nh4,
I don't understand why you need to get into the car. You must understand the amount of people just want to get in the car or test drive the car at their dealership. Are you ready to be responsible as a salesman if someone scratch the interior with buttons of their jeans? There are ways to present yourself and I think in this case you didn't convinced them. If you are truly unhappy with them, why are you still considering buying one from them or even consider buying an mp4 period. Herb chamber is having a hard time getting rid off those three mp4 for the past 9 months, where did you hear about the possibility of opening one in Boston? Look at that fire black mp4 and read their desperate sales pitch then you will understand their frustration. A friend of mine just got rid off his SLR convertible and he was present with a great deal for that mp4 from herb chamber personally. Guess What! He turned it down and kept driving around in his Super Veloce instead because the lack of dealer support in Boston.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts