McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After spending some time reading all of your posts I took the plunge and bought a 570S Spider Launch Edition. The car is awesome, but has spent more time back with the dealer than with me since I took delivery. The car drives beautifully, but when attempting to use XM radio no sound whatsoever comes out of the speakers. After hours of unproductive calls with XM radio and too many refresh signals sent to the car to count, XM radio advised me to take the car back to the dealer for repair. The car has now been back with the dealer for 8 days and they can't seem to figure out the issue. I'm told that the dealership replaced the head unit and still no sound. They then reconfigured the car and the issue persists. Has anyone seen a similar issue?

·
Owner
124 Posts
Man, that's tough that something so trivial would keep you away from your new toy for 8 days. My Sirius works, but half of the icons do not match the station. Most of the music icons match, but ESPN displays as Book Radio and CNN displays as Headline News. Multiple refreshes by dealer and Sirius haven't fixed. So I've learned to just laugh about it and chock it up to a hand built British car.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Maybe the antenna is not connected? I had a similar issue with the track telemetry system. Turned out to be a cable that wasn’t connected inside the center console.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My Sirius always starts up in a "mute" mode. Switching channels back and forth brings it back to life

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still no solution. The dealer thinks that there is a short in the cable from the satellite receiver to the unit. Today was nine days in the shop waiting for a solution. Hoping for progress and good news tomorrow.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Car came back today. There was a pinched wire between the receiver and the unit that had to be replaced. Now the satellite radio is perfect and so is the rest of the car. It is a really fantastic car. I've never had as much fun admiring or driving a car as I have this one.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Nice to see them successfully find the issue! Enjoy in good health!

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Car came back today. There was a pinched wire between the receiver and the unit that had to be replaced. Now the satellite radio is perfect and so is the rest of the car. It is a really fantastic car. I've never had as much fun admiring or driving a car as I have this one.
PHEW!! Glad to see it resolved! I really enjoy listening to satellite radio so I felt your pain plus the B&W system (which I assume you have) in the 570S sounds wonderful.

There are a lot of tall trees, that make satellite reception difficult, on my regular driving routes so I had McLaren Philadelphia move the Sirius antenna on all of my P11 cars to get the best possible reception. On the newer McLarens that doesn’t seem to be needed. In March I tested the 720S against my Audi A8 (taller car with roof mounted shark fin antenna) and found them to be roughly equal for drop outs. There’s a few spots, in the first few minutes of my regular drive into town where the trees obscure the satellite reception even in our tallest vehicle with a top-mounted antenna (Toyota minivan) so I have a good test area. Prior to adjustment the McLarens would go out for a minute or two in that part of the drive but now (and out of the box for 570S) they just blink off and on in the same spots as the other cars.

Update on 720S. I got mine yesterday. The satellite radio reception seems to have degraded from the car I drove it March. It might be the carbon roof panels (the one I drove had glass roof panels) causing interference because carbon fiber is conductive. I’ll let Philly do their magic on the antenna next time it goes in for track inspection or service. It’s good enough to not need to go just for that.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a 2019 570S Spider and it worked fine for 2200 miles; today it quit. I shut the radio off and restarted it; still does not work. AM/FM radio works fine.

Even though it is still under warranty; I don't really want to be without the car for a week or two, so I I thought I'd revive this post and see if meanwhile anyone else had other solutions or experiences?

·
Registered
383 Posts
There are updates from the dealer to cure most of these issues. Ensure your dealer has flashed the most current software for the tuner and the rest of the car.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I was just at the dealer (getting my creaking roof fixed) and I asked him if he could look at the Sirius, but he said I'd have to schedule another appointment. I will ask him now ahead of time to check for SW updates and to be prepared to install them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My 2019 does it all the time and when you select the radio then back to Sirus it works perfectly. I have had it in twice and they don’t seem to be able to find the problem

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
My 2019 does it all the time and when you select the radio then back to Sirus it works perfectly. I have had it in twice and they don’t seem to be able to find the problem
yep mine never seems to bring Sirius up on restart always have to change channel to get audio

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks for the tips.
Mine was the same as yours right from the day I picked it up; Sirius would never come on after a restart, but when I changed the channel it would come on. Now it comes on but there is no sound. Can;t be the subscription because all the Sirius channels appear

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thanks for the tips.
Mine was the same as yours right from the day I picked it up; Sirius would never come on after a restart, but when I changed the channel it would come on. Now it comes on but there is no sound. Can;t be the subscription because all the Sirius channels appear
Do you have a Sirius/XM active subscription?
If here is no active subscription you will see the channels but there is no audio.
Tune to channel 1, XM prevue, if you have audio the radio is functioning, you need an active subscription.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Do you have a Sirius/XM active subscription?
If here is no active subscription you will see the channels but there is no audio.
Tune to channel 1, XM prevue, if you have audio the radio is functioning, you need an active subscription.
Thanks for the tip! That seems to be the problem. On my other cars, when the subscription expires it tells you and gives you the Sirius # to call to renew, so I assumed that was not the issue. But sure enough, I tuned to channel 1 and it gave me the preview and the # to call. Problem solved, saved a trip to the dealer!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts