McLaren Life banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two weeks ago, I pulled the trigger on a 2012 12C with 13.5k miles as my first supercar. I've since put 500 miles on her and could not be happier. The car feels like a big Lotus Evora but a LOT more versatile and better put together. The only concerning item I've noticed is that when I head down my steep driveway at an angle, the car makes "bottoming out" sounds even though I don't think I've actually made contact with the ground. Anyone know why this is? Regardless, I'm happy to join the forum and I'll post pics soon.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Congrats on your purchase! I would guess it to be the two black vanes in front of each tire. They are lower than your bumper, and will hit the ground typically before your bumper will. Be careful with this as they do break off, and there are reports on here that they can damage the bumper where they attach if they are torn off. I've replaced one of mine that came off from something, and it's relatively common (and inexpensive) to replace these.

For what it's worth, I have the same problem with my driveway. I searched for an ideal path to take and eventually found one that allows me to avoid the vanes hitting the pavement.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congrats on your purchase! I would guess it to be the two black vanes in front of each tire. They are lower than your bumper, and will hit the ground typically before your bumper will. Be careful with this as they do break off, and there are reports on here that they can damage the bumper where they attach if they are torn off. I've replaced one of mine that came off from something, and it's relatively common (and inexpensive) to replace these.

For what it's worth, I have the same problem with my driveway. I searched for an ideal path to take and eventually found one that allows me to avoid the vanes hitting the pavement.
Got it. I'll take a peak under today to see if that is the issue! Having an axle lift and rear camera sure would have been nice on the 2012 models.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Two weeks ago, I pulled the trigger on a 2012 12C with 13.5k miles as my first supercar. I've since put 500 miles on her and could not be happier. The car feels like a big Lotus Evora but a LOT more versatile and better put together. The only concerning item I've noticed is that when I head down my steep driveway at an angle, the car makes "bottoming out" sounds even though I don't think I've actually made contact with the ground. Anyone know why this is? Regardless, I'm happy to join the forum and I'll post pics soon.
This is probably what are called strakes. they are wind deflectors that channel air flow from the inside of the front tires to the back and behind them. there are a pair on the rears as well but they are positioned such that they are not the problem usually.
the strakes are lower than the underbody by a lot--- ~30mm have a look at them and see if they are scuffed or broken
if you search in this forum for "strakes" you will find more info
you may also have scuff protectors riveted to the underside of the front bumper- check for them as well
stay away from front side curbs and those parking lot wheel stops

·
Owner
391 Posts
Congrats! I thought those pics looked like AZ. I am here as well. I get together on the weekends with some car guys for coffee and a bit of chatter. Message me if you would like to join.

·
Owner
391 Posts
Harris: It was good meeting you and Randy. Feel free to join us anytime, and let me know if you are up for a little back road or track action.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts