McLaren Life banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got these new MACarbon bits installed in my 12C Spider and wanted to share. I did get the center console CF piece but didn't get a picture of it. This piece right is right in front of the center console cover is black plastic which IMHO is a huge oversight on McLaren part. Anyhow, I think the overall change in how it looks and most importantly, how it feels in use makes it well worth the change. Many thanks for MACarbon for coming up with these awesome mods for my spider. The thicker rim alone makes the steering wheel feel 100x better. The larger paddles fit very well and does not "flex" at all. And the orange start button ring really makes the center section "pop".

·
Registered
56 Posts
How hard was to install the start button ?
I also got the paddles ,the rear view mirror and the kick plates but did not find instructions on how to install the start ring.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was not too bad. Have to remove the black plastic console cover near the center compartment opening, unbolt the screws on the back of the start button module then kind of slide things out from there. Release the two tabs underneath and pop it out. I didn't do it myself but that's what I was told the shop did. I'm not sure about getting the kick plates yet. This plate does get "kicked" a lot.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
I like a lot of the macarbon mods, but I'm not over the moon about that steering wheel, to be perfectly honest. The leather on the sides really does not conform to the original wheel precisely and is very obviously 'added on'. I don't like the way it is stretching and pulling and how the thumb indents are visible underneath but not perfectly re-created like the original. Compare to OEM pic. If you like it, that is what is important, but IMO, this is one of their mods that needs more work before it is up to meticulous McLaren/MSO standard. I do appreciate the look you are going for, however.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I get what you're saying, Mr. 6th and I was unsure myself based on the photos that I've seen but once I felt the new wheel in my own hands, all those concerns vaporized. It really does feel much better "in your hands." I don't regret getting the new wheel at all. MSO does not even offer thicker rims, only CF trim on top and not with the orange stripe either. It's also twice as expensive too. I'm aware that you get what you pay for but the wheel I got is more than adequate enough for my tastes. :)

·
Mark Antar Design
1,870 Posts
Love the added carbon fibre bits in the interior, though to be honest, the original steering wheel's quality is superior IMO. The alcantara one from MSO is still by far my favourite! :)

EDIT: You beat me to it, 6th! ;)

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hate alcantara steering wheel so much that I'll never consider getting one. Have you seen how they hold up over time? The oil in your hand causes alcantara to turn black/grey/dark and the feel gets "worn" down rather quickly compared to leather.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I hate alcantara steering wheel so much that I'll never consider getting one. Have you seen how they hold up over time? The oil in your hand causes alcantara to turn black/grey/dark and the feel gets "worn" down rather quickly compared to leather.
True on the suede / alcantara, but you have driving gloves too if I remember.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd like to point out proudly that they're Ferrari driving gloves and I don't always use them. :)

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
I get what you're saying, Mr. 6th and I was unsure myself based on the photos that I've seen but once I felt the new wheel in my own hands, all those concerns vaporized. It really does feel much better "in your hands." I don't regret getting the new wheel at all. MSO does not even offer thicker rims, only CF trim on top and not with the orange stripe either. It's also twice as expensive too. I'm aware that you get what you pay for but the wheel I got is more than adequate enough for my tastes. :)
Definitely a worthwhile trade off then, in your case. Personally I like the thinner rim and never really got the current obsession with thick steering wheels. BMW started it many years ago, if I'm not mistaken. Most racecars I've driven don't have overly thick steering wheels and I find you lose some critical feedback when the rim is so thick. Plus, I'll take a smaller diameter steering wheel every time. So many of today's sports cars just feel like you're steering a bus.

·
Premium Member
1,869 Posts
Very nice!

Mclaren in missing the boat with the MSO pricing so I don't blame you for going with another supplier.

Alcantara on the MP4 ... and I could be wrong seems a lot better than on my 16M.

·
Professional Bum
252 Posts
I personally like the chain link wheels. They are the ultimate in feedback, remove easily B&D if in a small backpack. :p

I like the feel of the Alcantera. My detailed has already said "keep it clean or else..."

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Very nice!

Mclaren in missing the boat with the MSO pricing so I don't blame you for going with another supplier.

Alcantara on the MP4 ... and I could be wrong seems a lot better than on my 16M.
Honestly, I don't mind the MSO pricing it just helps provide those who are willing to splurge with more exclusivity. As for the Alcantara IMO is not ideally suited for the use on a steering, it looks great but doesn't perform to my expectations. The thickness aspect of the stock unit is perfect for me, I couldn't ask for more on top of which it makes me fell like Lewis LOL??. Cheers.....??

·
Registered
83 Posts
Removing core wheel

Do you have any advice on how to get the stock wheel off in order to fit the MaCarbon one and is the center "stealth ring" factory or did Mr Borchelt and co do that as well - looks GR8

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had to get that done at the dealership because apparently it trips some codes once you remove the airbags and that has to be reset using the McLaren diagnostic unit. At least that's what I've been told.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts