McLaren Life banner

New Iris and HTC/Android

3K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  andy c 
#1 ·
I now have the new Iris 2 (Daughter of Doris), which on the whole is pretty good but I can't connect my HTC One X to it as a hot spot device to use mobile data so, consequently can't use the apps. It shows that it's connected and that there's an excellent signal but there's no action on the browser. Bluetooth works fine.

Anyone managed to connect a HTC or any other Android device successfully?

Thanks.

#2 ·
Do you have Tethering turned on in the HTC?

#4 ·
I can't stop my LG Android G2 from connecting to my Mac and VW truck much to my wife's annoyance as it announces each incoming piece of data with a beep, pop or burp. It even reads out text messages.

Tethering talk was banned at the school I went to.

#5 ·
Naranga........data transfer enabled? Paired and switched off , sometimes, allows devices to remember each other, very Doris.

#13 ·
I'm with Orange and had to call to activate/pay for tethering (hotspot)
I've just upgraded to EE with an Iphone5S as it allows my data to be shared entirely with the hotspot- nicely to go with the new IRIS and it's requirement for data-- ie maps and tuneinradio
It happily logs into the home wifi from the man cave.

#14 ·
Thanks Gary. They were going to charge you to use your own data, which you've already paid for?!
Just found something that implies the Orange/EE collaboration won't now charge to activate this, used to be a fiver a month? I've also found a cheeky work around by creating a new ipa thingy. Thought that was warm brown beer.

#16 ·
I guess it depends on what tariff you're on, I had a long standing account with Orange that was unlimited data- mainly as no one used it at the time :rolleyes:- but only usable on my phone
I was using a USB dongle(2gb a month) that I used for data when working away for a PC etc, it was £25 per month but saved money in comparison to staying and being charged at hotels.
I never used it that often but when I needed it, it was invaluable.
I decided to drop the dongle and add the tethering to my phone when I went with the IPhone4, it was indeed a fiver a month for (500mb tethered data) but against the £25 it was still cheaper..
With the new package the tethering is all in at I think 6gb a month.

Mind you saying that, I've not looked at the car since I've bought the 5S, so best check it works!! :eek:

#17 ·
Thanks Gary.

This is resolved now, I was on an old Orange tariff like you which wasn't set up for tethering or providing a hot spot. I called India today and they've adjusted my tariff (to my advantage) which now includes data sharing.

Have been out to the garage and it works! Really good signal and at last I can listen to my beloved (digital) BBC 6Music via the TuneIn radio app!

Thanks for listening.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.