McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

I am happy being an old fart, waving my cane at kids to get off my lawn and stop with all their rocks and rolls music.

Seriously, this is beyond sad to me on so many levels. That said, to each their own, and if that makes them happy...glad I grew up in a different time.

But what a bunch of wusses..."driving is dangerous...so let robots drive." And frankly, it's not millienial's fault they're such wusses, the chicken sh*t culture and parents taught them this...

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
One jackass who doesn't like cars and has owned a rubbish car doesn't represent the whole of us. This is all this one persons opinion and it's complete bullshit.

What most of us in this age demographic want is cheaper exciting cars that don't cost much to run, simply because we're mostly poor as hell.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I read this poof-da's drivel in the mag. I was tempted to post it as well. I am glad to say that he looks about like what I imagined. I have to agree that this half-a-sissy's world-view is not my experience with my younger friends. This guy is a product of urban-liberal-hipster-oprahfied-embarrassed to be a man ethos that is being force fed to youngsters. Most guys his age that I know work, drink beer, chase skirts and spend a healthy amount of their free time either in the woods or with their heads under the hood of a car they're "getting on the road." However I do also know couples where it's tough to tell who's the guy. But I digress...

I don't believe that the unabashedly male are a dying breed. No matter the attempts to the contrary, somebody eventually has to squash a spider.

I read with interest a study recently that found that women in estrus preferred the company of males that were more "alpha." It also found that women in "other stages of their cycle" (we all know what that means) preferred less "alpha" types(this guy). So I conclude that men will continue to drive themselves to their willing consorts while this guy's sort will be out clothes shopping with pre-post-during companions in their robo-cars.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Wow. I think this is largely BS. Akin to sour grapes. Because most millennials have been unable to secure jobs that are both secure and highly paid, I think many of them are claiming to be anti-car or indifferent to cars because that is a lot "cooler" than admitting that they really like cars but are unable to afford owning one. I have a large extended family here in SoCal with many millennial cousins and the few that have been able to get a good job with good income have almost immediately leased the best car they could afford. I think the real problem is that many millennials have not had their interest in driving nurtured by older friends or relatives, and they don't really know how much fun it is to drive. When I was 12 or 13 I went "cruising" in the back seat of a hemi 'Cuda that one of the older cool kids in the neighborhood had. That was the coolest experience I'd had in my life to that point, and it really stuck with me. I can still remember the rumble of the V8, smell of the exhaust and the tired vinyl upholstery, drinking a beer in the back seat as we drove around looking for guys to race and for chicks to try to impress. I wanted a fast, loud, bad-ass car so badly after that night, and the idea that we would be concerned about whether the battery had been ethically sourced or if the oil was grown free-range just sounds like something a crazy person would say. Fast forward 30 years and I'm living the dream, fortunate enough to be driving a McLaren. So I now make a effort to share the car with younger relatives, even letting a few of them drive it. None has yet asked me if the CF tub is ethically sourced.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I read this poof-da's drivel in the mag. I was tempted to post it as well. I am glad to say that he looks about like what I imagined. I have to agree that this half-a-sissy's world-view is not my experience with my younger friends. This guy is a product of urban-liberal-hipster-oprahfied-embarrassed to be a man ethos that is being force fed to youngsters. Most guys his age that I know work, drink beer, chase skirts and spend a healthy amount of their free time either in the woods or with their heads under the hood of a car they're "getting on the road." However I do also know couples where it's tough to tell who's the guy. But I digress...

I don't believe that the unabashedly male are a dying breed. No matter the attempts to the contrary, somebody eventually has to squash a spider.

I read with interest a study recently that found that women in estrus preferred the company of males that were more "alpha." It also found that women in "other stages of their cycle" (we all know what that means) preferred less "alpha" types(this guy). So I conclude that men will continue to drive themselves to their willing consorts while this guy's sort will be out clothes shopping with pre-post-during companions in their robo-cars.
+1, awesome Walt.

·
Registered
102 Posts
That's just hilarious! Talk about entitled. Why don't we just put his mommy in the car to change his diaper on the way to work. My 21 year old daughter watches BOTH Top Gear's with me and loves cars! She wants a Koenigsegg CCX.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
That's just hilarious! Talk about entitled. Why don't we just put his mommy in the car to change his diaper on the way to work. My 21 year old daughter watches BOTH Top Gear's with me and loves cars! She wants a Koenigsegg CCX.
Yep,and when my daughters are in my car,they just want me to overtake everything!!

·
Registered
715 Posts
This asswipe got hammered in the YouTube comments and made the front page of Jalopnik. There also a petition to get him fired. He should be fired just on the mistakes of facts he made in his column.

By far my favorite comment:

vespafitz
17 hours ago

This is why you don't have any money, Hipster: What you do at "PopSci," they used to pay an actual grownup to do.

You know, a guy who went to night school on the GI Bill, spent 20 years in a newsroom honing his craft, while trying to erase the memories of that time he had to kill a Jap with an entrenching tool. He was a guy who wrote articles about how to build your own kayak with chicken wire and a raincoat.

You took on $324,000 in college debt to write 140 characters on why Aquaman sucks.

Brilliant.

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
I'm sure there are plenty of millennials out there that will rail against fast cars, or cars in general, but I know a fair amount of folks in that demographic, and I work with a bunch as well. All of them have a car, and in the parking lot at work, there are plenty that clearly based their decision on something other than environmental friendliness.

I think a lot of this depends on where you live. If you're in the middle of NYC, LA, Boston, it's a lot easier to do everything you might want to without a car. As a purely anecdotal point, friends of mine that live in Boston don't have a car, but their reasons aren't to save the planet. They don't have a car because they'd rather spend the money to have a place in a better location, parking in Boston such for a visit, they call up ZipCar and drive off.

Really, to each his own. At 36 I guess I'm fairly close to the border of Gen X and the Millennials, but I'll be damned if that's going to stop me from aspiring to own a McLaren!

-nh4.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
The thing this jerkoff doesn't understand is that this generation (I'm 21 so I guess my idiot generation) grew up before this eco wankery started, back when we got those 90's movies and the cool kids had cool cars. I know all my friends thru school wanted a car and the high school I went to was full of students' cars. Only thing is, as I've said, they're mostly shitboxes or old old sportscars because we're not well off.....

And yes, this is coming from a gearhead....

·
Registered
715 Posts
My main complaint with this girlie-man is not his views, per se, everyone is entitled. However, it's his narcissistic diatribe based on faulty logic and worse assumptions that makes me nuts. At the top of that list is the unbelievable egotism that he speaks for his generation. But then again, these times are filled with holier-than-thou nannies that truly believe that they know best. That since they may abhor something, it must be eradicated. Further, troglodytes like us that aren't intellectual enough to wear a slim fit yellow shirt from the prepubescent girl's department are dinosaurs just like the dead dinosaurs we burn in our planet killing toys. No real legitimacy in apologizing for this twit.

This asshole is how it starts. How overreaching laws and regulations quash our very being. Why does anyone need a screaming orange 600+ horsepower baby killer? Tax it or make it illegal.

I'm gonna find this chick and blow past her in the Mac at full song and watch her shit herself. Then go jetskiing with his wife while she's in estrus. He can watch nemo with the toddlers.

He makes me angry. Time to increase my carbon footprint.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Wow.
So first he says that he wants an autonomous car because robots are better at 'driving' and then he goes on to say that he wants cheaper cars that aren't 'filled with fancy electronics'.

People like him are part of the reason I took the catalytic converter out of my car.

He is very presumptuous. Perhaps someone should inform him that some of us do indeed love to drive just for the simple pleasure of it. 'Taking the long way home' is a beautiful thing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Cars have always been a symbol of freedom for me. There is neither freedom nor any thrill in being driven by a robot. Hey! thrill and freedom are what makes life interesting and enjoyable IMHO.
Hope I didn't make too much mistakes. If so, I'm deeply sorry.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The problem with people like this guy is that they would rather 'sext' then actually fuck, they would rather play Gran Turismo then actually drive, they would rather drink red bull instead of Johnnie Walker, and they would rather watch 'Transformers' instead of reading Hemingway or Hitchens.

He's fuckin' soft. No passion.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
The thing this jerkoff doesn't understand is that this generation (I'm 21 so I guess my idiot generation) grew up before this eco wankery started, back when we got those 90's movies and the cool kids had cool cars. I know all my friends thru school wanted a car and the high school I went to was full of students' cars. Only thing is, as I've said, they're mostly shitboxes or old old sportscars because we're not well off.....

And yes, this is coming from a gearhead....
This is interesting MItch. Couple of things that are true. The number of kids trying to get a license has dropped. It's dropped at the earliest ages, up through the 20's. As a percentage. It's not part of this millennial bashing hype, it's just a fact.

Here are a few links:
http://www.annarbor.com/business-review/car-companies-new-problem-young-people-who-dont-want-a-drivers-license/
A University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute study published in the journal Traffic Injury Prevention found that 75 percent of 19-year-olds had their driver’s license in 2008, down from 87 percent in 1983.

Among 18-year-olds, 65 percent have their license, down from 80 percent in 1983; among 17-year-olds, it’s 50 percent, down from 69 percent; and among 16-year-olds, it’s 31 percent, down from 46 percent.
http://www.dailyfinance.com/2012/04/19/cars-young-americans-drive-less-fewer-licenses/
Fewer than half of eligible teens 19 or younger have driver's licenses, down from almost two-thirds in 1998.
Annual vehicle miles driven by Americans ages 16 to 34 have dropped 23% from 2001 to 2009
And a few other links on the topic:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/10/13/teen-drivers-license/2891701/
http://www.wnyc.org/story/310971-young-adults-were-too-busy-get-drivers-license/

One of the reasons I think contributes to young kids not wanting to drive, is the same reason kids don't ride bikes as much. Helmets. Stay with me here. People have confused correlation with causation, and since helmets laws were introduced, head injuries went down some negligible percentage, much to the delight of nanny parent groups everywhere. However, people didn't notice that the number of kids that ride bikes has dropped a much greater amount. Why? It's a hassle to wear/carry around a helmet everywhere, and you look like a dork, so, why bother.

http://www.risksense.org/2012/06/14/the-myth-of-the-bicycle-helmet/
In a 2012 article from Australia’s Institute of Public Affairs, Australia’s mandatory helmet law (MHL) was deemed a “disaster.” Australia is one of only two countries to have a nationwide MHL (note: several US States have MHLs). A few highlights from the article:
“When the laws were introduced in the early 1990s, cycling trips declined by 30-40 per cent overall, and up to 80 per cent in some demographic groups, such as secondary school-aged females.”
“Cycling is generally a safe activity, the health benefits outweighing the risks from traffic accidents by a large margin. British research suggests life years gained through cycling outweigh years lost in cycling fatalities by a factor of 20:1. A recent study of users of Barcelona’s public bike hire scheme puts this ratio at 77:1.”
“By any measure, health problems associated with a lack of exercise are a far greater problem than cycling head injuries in Australia. According to the Heart Foundation, lack of physical activity causes 16,000 premature deaths each year, swamping the 40 or so cycling fatalities.”

Similarly, getting a license has become so onerous, requiring new drivers to only drive with older drivers at first (no freedom), limiting the time of day young drivers can drive (inconvenient), generally making new drivers feel like criminals for gaining this driving "privilege"; lots of new rules that us old farts don't notice since they don't apply to us, that make driving a pain in the neck when you're young. I can see why some portion of kids say "F*** it. It's not worth the hassle."

Also, it's more expensive than ever. One of the reasons fewer people drive in Europe is it costs way more. Gas. Cars themselves. The pricier it gets, the fewer will do it.

It's the government nanny sensibility that it's a "privilege" to drive not a right? WTF? Seriously, my taxes pay for it. And you need to drive to get to work and make a living, and it's not a right!? But going to the range drunk and firing a shot gun is a right (BTW, I'm pro gun so not meant as slam).

My point is, that for some portion of the population, people have made driving so burdensome to get into, that I get why a bunch of young kids will flip the bird on the entire thing.

IMO we should be letting 12yo's get permits and drive. They will no doubt drive significantly better than some 45yo that is starting to drive for the first time. It's just like with sports, you won't be a world class tennis player if you start at 30; you'll never really be good. If you start young at skiiing or whatever, it becomes instinct and you get good. I see too many drivers with zero instincts. This is also one of the reasons I don't think you'll see any F1 drivers coming from the US as we have no kids developing skill sets at a young enough age. I bet the drivers in brazil are karting in diapers.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Cars have always been a symbol of freedom for me. There is neither freedom nor any thrill in being driven by a robot. Hey! thrill and freedom are what makes life interesting and enjoyable IMHO.
Hope I didn't make too much mistakes. If so, I'm deeply sorry.
I think a lot of young kids have been told "no" for so long, so bottled up inside their houses, that they don't even get "freedom." How many kids just go roaming out playing stickball or whatever on their own like we did when we were kids? Very few. All because the parents are a bunch of wusses that don't want to worry, it's really from selfishness, and don't let these kids have any freedom growing up; like riding their bikes to friends houses on their own whenever they want as long as they get home for dinner when their parents yelled "dinner", they've never developed a sense and wonder for freedom. Freedom was characterized as dangerous where bad things can happen, so they run from it to the house.

It's not terribly surprising after our culture has turned freedom to equate to danger. That from such a pansy State, that kids don't view cars as freedom to roam and wonder, and instead see it as an expense where dangerous things can happen--so many accidents with cars and all.

·
Owner
893 Posts
"He makes me angry" .... "Time to increase my carbon footprint" ..... Wah, wah, wah ...... You guys are facing a losing battle. These are the people who, like it or not, will be controlling what and how you drive. See all those hybrids coming down the development pike, do ya' ??:rolleyes:
This is the American generation that is orchestrating: the immigration debate, the gay marriage debate, the welfare debate, the health insurance debate, etc.
All your anger will do you as much good as spitting into the wind. Your ideas about fast, powerful automobiles are going into the dustbin. Did any of you notice that there is legislation being floated to restrict the width of your car's tires? IOW, no more wide tires; it's bad for the road surfaces!! It's a different world now; I never thought I'd see the authorities want to regulate the size of a person's soft-drink.
This generation is taking charge. Get used to it. :D

1 - 20 of 46 Posts