McLaren Life banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Future Owner
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who didn't see the thread, the day before I was due to attend the McLaren trackday last Thursday I found a pool of oil under my car after it had been parked in my garage for 10 days.

Turned out to be transmission fluid. Just heard that it has leaked out of the overflow pipe probably due to an internal seal failure in the gearbox. Replacement gearbox being fitted and old one being returned to the manufacturer.

I didn't notice any issues with the gearbox prior to the oil leak. Let's hope that they have fixed the problem. (My car is 14 mths old, 3.5k miles)

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
I had gearbox problem as well chris... mine was down to a sensor but they changed the whole box... didn't have a leak like yours but have had no problems at all since

·
Registered
551 Posts
After how many miles this happened? I was under the impression that it mainly occures the first 1000miles and I'd be safe now

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Glad they are sorting it Chris! But percentage wise among the owners its starting to rack up,anyone know the ratio on other DSG boxes? At least the Aventador has an excuse!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Looks like it wasn't 2nd transmission failure, but the oil pump is leaking. New one being installed now. Hopefully we can keep the fluids inside the motor from now on!

Keith.

·
Registered
167 Posts
My first gearbox failed at 2370 mi. 2nd box failed shortly after at 2510 mi.
Both boxes showed zero prior symptoms and the car drove 100% normal. First box was replaced when dealer found faulty gearbox due to a malfunction of hydraulic actuator for the rear spoiler. 2nd gearbox did leave a puddle of fluid. Have over 'hard' 3k mi on third one and it seems to be holding up fine. Looks like third time's a charm?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts