McLaren Life banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I drove the car to work this morning, no problem.... Drove the car to a meeting, no problem...... Pressed the 'open sesame' button after the meeting and problem....... Car not responding to the key fob at all.

I had to rush to another meeting but McLaren here in Singapore are superb (plus not a big city), they went to my house, got the 2nd key (they suspected the fob battery had died) and headed off to recover my car.

Car is now back in the workshop, is not the battery in the key fob, is a separate electrical issue where the car didn't 'go to sleep' and thought it was still awake or something like that!

I'd always rather have electrical problems than mechanical ones but I'd sure prefer to have neither...........

Have to say though, whilst the gremlins are frustrating, the level of service here is superb. Although at $1M USD per car here I guess you'd expect that........

·
Registered
551 Posts
Without their excellent dealer network Mclaren would loose it completely.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Work in progress on the electrics!! frustating but worth living with,because my car was one of the first i still shut it down as if it was a track car,every stage at a time,also the same on starting up.So fingers crossed she re-boots several times a day and it works for me.But this sounds like a different issue.

·
Registered
551 Posts
getting enough of the Gremlins and will call it a day with Mclaren

·
Registered
11 Posts
I monitor my 12C after I get out for signs it is still "awake--" has happened a few times. All I do is lock it with the remote to shut down the electrics or just cycle it from lock to unlock and that resets everything. Inevitable on machinery with so many computers controlling so many functions. Happens on Dassault Falcon jets too-- we simply reboot the jet by disconnecting the battery and this usually takes care of the non-serious gremlins. If it doesn't reboot / recycle the problem probably involves a circuit board replacement.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
I monitor my 12C after I get out for signs it is still "awake--" has happened a few times. All I do is lock it with the remote to shut down the electrics or just cycle it from lock to unlock and that resets everything. Inevitable on machinery with so many computers controlling so many functions. Happens on Dassault Falcon jets too-- we simply reboot the jet by disconnecting the battery and this usually takes care of the non-serious gremlins. If it doesn't reboot / recycle the problem probably involves a circuit board replacement.
Gives me confidance in being on the ground in a 12c,when I also just shut her down completelty,i wouldn't want to try that at 30,000 feet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Andy, I forgot to mention that the Falcon reset applies to terra firma only, as in the 12C's case. It would be somewhat inconvenient to have to crawl outside the beast to get to the battery's compartment while it is making contrails in the stratosphere just to do a complete reset. Of course, even if all the electrics failed it's still a stick and rudder aeroplane and can be safely flown. Only European Airbus pilots pull the side stick all the way "up" and wonder why they hit the ocean in a flat attitude.

I see you too have a checkered 911 past. There is a company in California called Singer that builds air cooled 911s from new and old parts. About $500,000. I would love one.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Andy, I forgot to mention that the Falcon reset applies to terra firma only, as in the 12C's case. It would be somewhat inconvenient to have to crawl outside the beast to get to the battery's compartment while it is making contrails in the stratosphere just to do a complete reset. Of course, even if all the electrics failed it's still a stick and rudder aeroplane and can be safely flown. Only European Airbus pilots pull the side stick all the way "up" and wonder why they hit the ocean in a flat attitude.

I see you too have a checkered 911 past. There is a company in California called Singer that builds air cooled 911s from new and old parts. About $500,000. I would love one.
Thanks Dave,just my sense of humour,i didn't expect you would really have to do that! But more to the point,there is always a way around it,and no-matter how much you spend electronics are fickle things!There is also a company that does the same for E TYPES over here,but at an even steeper price!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Singers

Those Singers are the NUTS! Would aboslutely love one. I read an article about them with a lime green one featured, looked absolutely incredible and they've done the interiors very well also. Meant to be great to drive also although they say you have to check yourself and remember that you are in a twenty odd year old car if you get too frisky in the corners.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Cheers, Andy and Duff! In retrospect, I should have hung on to my first Porsche, a 964 Carrera 2, instead of going newer and more performance. I miss its air cooled quirkiness, small body, and mechanical instruments. My 996 GT3 is nice, a bit edgy, no electronic safety nets and most likely my last 911, and last stick shift car. My 12C does everything so well, so my other sports cars should give different experiences rather than attempt to better it. Going to Woking day after tomorrow and doing the MTC tour so I'm really psyched!

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Cheers, Andy and Duff! In retrospect, I should have hung on to my first Porsche, a 964 Carrera 2, instead of going newer and more performance. I miss its air cooled quirkiness, small body, and mechanical instruments. My 996 GT3 is nice, a bit edgy, no electronic safety nets and most likely my last 911, and last stick shift car. My 12C does everything so well, so my other sports cars should give different experiences rather than attempt to better it. Going to Woking day after tomorrow and doing the MTC tour so I'm really psyched!
Have fun,its space age,but unfortunately the main doors don't make the same noise as the Enterprise,that would be even cooler:cool:

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Have fun,its space age,but unfortunately the main doors don't make the same noise as the Enterprise,that would be even cooler:cool:
Andy, you really are familiar with the Enterprise......did you ever meet Lieutenant Uhura?.....those black fishnet MSO stockings and confident manner would have made her a perfect passenger in a 12C.

I need to go and rest......

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Andy, you really are familiar with the Enterprise......did you ever meet Lieutenant Uhura?.....those black fishnet MSO stockings and confident manner would have made her a perfect passenger in a 12C.

I need to go and rest......
In a past life RIC,actually any women in stockings are welcome in my car ,except Nora Batty;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts