McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New Android IRIS, Updated 10/27/2013

Hi All:

So here are four very rough videos of some of the new IRIS features. I apologize, they're about 15 minutes each (too long and I didn't have time to properly edit them down).

I tried to make the videos show off every page/screen of the new android IRIS, which makes it more than a little bit tedious. But I figured some of you guys would want to see the details, and fast forward is always available.

Overall Impressions
First a caveat. I haven't thoroughly tested the system. I used it on a drive back from boston to NYC. And a quick drive to NJ this weekend; my impressions are from that limited experience.

The short version. It's really promising. It's got some version 1.0 hiccups. Overall, its a big improvement. Is it worth $3600? That will depend on the features you value. For me, it's an easy yes and a thumbs up.

Some Really Cool Stuff
(1) IRIS gets traffic via FM radio signal even without a data connection
(2) IRIS is now multitouch, the screen is way more accurate, the screen is much better in sunlight (although I'm in a coupe and cannot tell how it will stand up in a spider, it is clearly brighter and better than the old IRIS)
(3) IRIS lets you tether in a number of ways.
(3)(1) Via your phone via bluetooth
(3)(2) Via your phone via USB port connection
(3)(3) Via WiFi (from your phone hotspot or just nearby WiFi signals)
(4) IRIS lets you make the car into a hotspot, although somewhat redundant if your phone is already a hotspot
(5) You can put in a small USB hub off the USB port, put in a USB stick with music, and plug in an iPhone/android phone and have multiple sources of music/media. You cannot put in two iPod music collections, however.
(6) The Nav is based on Navigon software and has a million really useful options. The accuracy was much better than the old system, although it didn't seem quite as fast at locking a signal as the iPhone (which benefits from cellular and WiFi triangulation). The new system didn't seem to suffer the random freezes and wild inaccuracies as did the old system (except for the glitches noted below)
(7) The phone sounds much better (no more static crackles), and people generally hear you better (still not as well as say Acura's system)

Problems
(1) On my trip down from Boston I was running the Media player and Nav concurrently. After a while the programs started to stutter and eventually stalled and crashed, I suspect, due to memory leaks. Android handled this nicely, and let you know what happened. I suspect the issue for me is that I have over 26,000+ tracks on my iPod, all with album art and lyrics, and the excess amount of metadata bogs the system down. McLaren Phili has sent my iPod to McLaren for debugging. Today, I did not experience the problem with just my iPhone (far fewer tracks and metadata), and it seems to be an isolated issue to my peculiar music collection issue (which I suspect few if any others will experience).
(2) There are some not totally polished parts of the UI. Where the keyboard comes up but doesn't have guesses. Where you access contacts from some places, but cannot "favorite" the contacts in some contexts.
(3) Working both the Nav and the Media player at the same time can have some glitches. Sometimes the Nav will stop the Media player from playing the current track (as it should) and not restart it (bummer). Sometimes the Media player will freeze onto the same song and not let you advance to the next track--you can unfreeze it by going to the "browse" button and selecting any other song and playing it.
(4) There is no shelf at the bottom of the screen that lets you access media (next track, back track, pause) controls when in the Nav, and you cannot see Nav directions when in the Media app. This feature is partially there by touching the top left of the screen which replaces the screen showing current media and letting you pause/play the track, go to Media app, and then awkwardly touching the bottom of the screen to retract this grey screen back to the Nav. The old shelf was a bit better thought out, and I hope we get it back.
(5) The processor on the new Android IRIS is a bit pokey. I wish it was a faster chip with more memory. The first time you launch the Nav program it takes a long time to load. That said, considering that it's a 1.0 complete new system, there is likely a lot they can do to optimize and make things a bit zippier.

Some Parting Thoughts
This is a pretty good start for a complete rewrite and 1.0 release. There clearly needs to be some more refinement, and I suspect there will be. The promise of more apps, like Waze and hopefully track analytics is very doable. Android is a very robust foundation. The software here is really a good start. The data connection brings the potential of over-the-air upgrades. I'm very optimistic and have enjoyed the new system. Any Mac owner should want this upgrade. As always, YMMV

Parts 1 & 2 (everything but Nav and main settings)

Part 2, some of the apps, a little Nav preview

UPDATED 10/27/2013
Part 3, Nav and most of the main settings

Part 4, wireless settings and Bonus USB hub connection!

Screen shots show what a traffic detour looks like, and when you see the satellite icon pop up, what you see when you push that icon/button.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The answer to the first part of your question would involve a list so long as to crash this server. So for the community's sake, suffice it to say, a lot! :)

As for the second part, Waze did not come with it.

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
I cry foul. You're outside Boston, near 90, any Nav, any time, should just say "potential congestion detour"... Even Iris should have known that one. :D

-nh4.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Question: does the live traffic work without the NAV being connected to the internet? or were you connected to the internet via your cell phone with hotspot?

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Can't wait to get it for my 12C! I assume this will be in the P1 as well.

Thanks for posting. Please post as many details as you can for the rest of us to drool over while we wait for our upgrades! :)

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
That's very helpful , thanks for your time.

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
I guess you needed to search for the 'artist formally known as' and that would have worked perfectly!
I am guessing you'll have to downlad the waze app somehow. Not immediately obvious how to do that,.. All looks so much better though.. Disappointed you didn't stick with the Armenian radio though. I will certainly be trying out this essential feature ...

Thanks for your efforts john.., wonder what labeille thinks now he's had a few months with it ?

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
What is Waze and why is it so popular with Mclaren drivers?

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
That list of Armenian radio stations is impressive , especially the Talk Camel channel,..........sales will zoom ahead in Armenia once this vid gets exposure!

1 - 20 of 159 Posts