McLaren Life banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another mag plays homage at the GT3 alter managing to squeeze a similar lap time as the 12c but on a short circuit. Whilst impressive it will fool readers into inappropriate conclusions that the journalistic prose concludes but does not explain how a short track of 1.5 miles, over one lap, influences lap times.

They do point out that the 12c is much faster on open wide public roads but lacks soul until driven fast.........unlike the GT3 which is your buddy at all times.

I love the GT3 and it's driving style and this one at £100,540 has to be a performance bargain..........but look a little closer and Evo fail to point out that ceramics as fitted cost more!

It is probably academic as those of us without a deposit will not be able to buy one until second hand ones turn up.

Oh, and they fail to point out it still looks like a 911, again......boring, boring, boring......but a great car.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Another mag plays homage at the GT3 alter managing to squeeze a similar lap time as the 12c but on a short circuit. Whilst impressive it will fool readers into inappropriate conclusions that the journalistic prose concludes but does not explain how a short track of 1.5 miles, over one lap, influences lap times.

They do point out that the 12c is much faster on open wide public roads but lacks soul until driven fast.........unlike the GT3 which is your buddy at all times.

I love the GT3 and it's driving style and this one at £100,540 has to be a performance bargain..........but look a little closer and Evo fail to point out that ceramics as fitted cost more!
The new 991 gt3 is clearly bloody quick and very impressive it clocked a similar time to the 12c but the circuit lacking highish speed corners does not really play to the aero strength of the 12c and it has cup tyres vs standard pzero tyres (again not noted by evo).

As Mike also mentioned in the other gt3 thread, the comparison vs the 4.0 was the interesting one I think and possibly the more telling one as IMO the comment about older car being the more engaging car to drive will apply to the 3.8 RS and possibly even the standard 7.2 GT3. Would love a go in one just to see how it compares to the older car/12c though to be fair!

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
as I don't have in my collection what you have isv, I am sorely tempted to pick up a gen 2 gt3 rs at some point.. its nothing like as quick as the 12c of course, but is a great package... think they're 80 k or less these days in the uk so sorely tempting soon..

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
as I don't have in my collection what you have isv, I am sorely tempted to pick up a gen 2 gt3 rs at some point.. its nothing like as quick as the 12c of course, but is a great package... think they're 80 k or less these days in the uk so sorely tempting soon..
Uh think it is more like £90-95k I'm afraid and they have firmed up already somewhat... yes I had been looking previously!:eek: 80-ishk is for the non RS gen 2 version and tbh given the production numbers and what the RS represents, at 15k over the standard gt3, the premium is probably worth paying I think. Whether the gen 2 RS is 20-25k better than the gen 1 RS however is a bit more open to debate I think....

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
I have to say I thought it was a decent improvement...gen 2 v gen 1 more to do with the active engine mounts and of course 3.8 rather than 3.6?

think I must have thought the gen 1 I was looking at was a gen 2 then... I will certainly bow to your undoubted superior knowledge...90 k still a lot of car for the money but not perhaps quite so compelling... a car that would be nice to have rather than have to have.. !

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
£105k for the latest car is pretty compelling?

I do think the previous one was/is a great drive. The fact that the latest seems to have its power band between 7000 rpm and 9000 rpm means you have to drive it like a banshee compared to earlier models. Some people won't like that.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Compared to a highly specced/optioned 991 S the gt3 looks very good value indeed. Although the more I read about the gt3 the more it seems that Porsche have basically engineered out a lot of what made the 911 unique with the 991 platform....

In some respects the gt3 (and especially next year's RS) might well be the bigger problem for the 458 speciale than the 12c (gt3 version or otherwise) given the price differential.

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
£105k for the latest car is pretty compelling?

I do think the previous one was/is a great drive. The fact that the latest seems to have its power band between 7000 rpm and 9000 rpm means you have to drive it like a banshee compared to earlier models. Some people won't like that.
Agree but 12c is 140 gbp so that's then a very complicated question... Of course it's another 40% so perhaps not such a choice

·
Registered
551 Posts
The GT3 is a wonderfull car and Porsche has loads of experience improving their cars. Really liking the exterior of the 991... But ... The interior has too much Audi influence IMO.
Still a 991 GT2 with Pdk would be awesome....

·
Registered
323 Posts
Isn't it time for widowmaker911 to chime in here?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts