McLaren Life banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings folks-

Newbie to the Mclaren world here. Picked up a 2020 leftover (brand new) 720s Spider on July 2nd sitting on showroom floor at McLaren North Jersey. Spent the better part of last week getting to know it. Coming from roughly a dozen Ferraris (still have a Testarossa and Pista Spider), it was time for something different to add to the fold. FYI - highly recommend Gino @ Mclaren North Jersey. He, along with Jeff and Allan were fantastic to work with.

So.. onto the notable items in my roughly 350 miles coming from the F-car perspective.. and FYI - I'm not a track rat, but I have been on track a number of times (fav is Watkins Glen) - I like to consider myself a pretty well rounded car enthusiast.. from a supercar perspective, I've only been a Ferrari guy, but I've had literally dozens of cars.. several Porsches including a few GT3s, I currently still own an E30 M3, a Porsche 993 Turbo, a few Mercedes SLs, and some other cars.. not bragging just offering perspective as you read thru my post.

1. The car is incredibly fast - yet very different power delivery than my Pista. It feels significantly more potent at higher revs - whereas the power of the Pista is insane at almost any RPM.

2. Handling is just flawless on the street. I can't imagine how good it is on the track. The adjustable suspension works great - I can't believe how comfortable the car is in the Comfort setting.

3. The amount of road rash this car gets is insane. DO NOT DRIVE WITHOUT PPF - I made the mistake of driving the car off the lot and waiting for my PPF guy who comes to my home instead of having him do it right at the dealer or have the dealer truck the car to me. I've already got some road rash from the stones coming up the door I'm really upset about. Most are barely noticeable but I see it - and it bugs the hell out of me. Hoping my PPF guy who's also a detailed can do something about them. But do yourself a favor - DO PPF IMMEDIATELY especially on the doors. I'm doing the whole car.

4. Getting in and out over the "hump" is much easier than I predicted. The driving position is excellent, and I can't say I've driven a car with a better view out the front - I enjoy the fact that the hood is barely noticeable.

5. Electrochromatic roof is super cool.. not sure I'd have spec'd it from the factory because I drive with it top down all the time.. Top down operation is smooth and the car looks great in either configuration - top up or down. Build quality overall seems to be excellent.

6. Hand washed the car myself which gives you a greater appreciation for the lines and shows you all the cool things you may miss in the design otherwise.. so many amazing angles (and lots of areas to wash LOL).

Now onto some initial issues..

- There is a pretty consistent electronic hum from the front end when just idling. At first I thought it was just the electronic lift but the lift isn't even activated and it still does it. Off and on pretty regularly.

- The car has done some weird electronic stuff already.. the right taillight along with the front DRL stayed lit after parking.. I had to go in the car, turn it on, then off, for them to extinguish.. on another occasion the car stayed "on".. it wouldn't fully "power down", no matter how many times I cycled the Start/Stop button. I finally exited the car, locked it, and came back 10 mins after and it was finally off.. strange..

- The brake pedal combined with the way the car "creeps" at low speeds just sucks - I'm getting used to it but I just don't understand why Mclaren engineered it the way they did. They should have taken a lesson from Ferrari on this one.

- I really dislike the brake pedal. I've read the forum posts about people getting used to it and some even preferring it, but so far, I'm not a fan. Time will tell.

- Idle is very rough - especially on cold start. It also was "hunting" - so much so that I may have Mclaren check it out, along with the issues above..

Bottom line - I like it way more than I thought I would. I will go on a limb here and say it feels to me, and I may get some $hit for this on a Mclaren site, that it sits in between a Porsche and a Ferrari - if that makes sense.

And finally... the pics! I can't stop staring at this one.. I don't usually buy or spec my supercars in black but I feel like this car with its orange accents sitting on showroom floor was just the perfect spec..

Looking forward to enjoying many miles!

IMG_4631.jpeg

IMG_4633.jpeg

·
Registered
216 Posts
Congrats on the car !

The first issue you said about the humming from the front is normal. It's the suspension holding pressure, it won't ever go away.

Otherwise to me the 720s is a Ferrari on steroids but to each their own lol .

Again congrats on a sick car!

·
Premium Member
2019 720S Coupe Track Pack
237 Posts
Congratulations! It looks sweet AF.

The negative points all sound normal to me - you get used to them.

Just get some decent miles onto it before the warranty expires and enjoy the thing!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Greetings folks-
Now onto some initial issues..

- There is a pretty consistent electronic hum from the front end when just idling. At first I thought it was just the electronic lift but the lift isn't even activated and it still does it. Off and on pretty regularly.

- The car has done some weird electronic stuff already.. the right taillight along with the front DRL stayed lit after parking.. I had to go in the car, turn it on, then off, for them to extinguish.. on another occasion the car stayed "on".. it wouldn't fully "power down", no matter how many times I cycled the Start/Stop button. I finally exited the car, locked it, and came back 10 mins after and it was finally off.. strange..

- The brake pedal combined with the way the car "creeps" at low speeds just sucks - I'm getting used to it but I just don't understand why Mclaren engineered it the way they did. They should have taken a lesson from Ferrari on this one.

- I really dislike the brake pedal. I've read the forum posts about people getting used to it and some even preferring it, but so far, I'm not a fan. Time will tell.

- Idle is very rough - especially on cold start. It also was "hunting" - so much so that I may have Mclaren check it out, along with the issues above..

Bottom line - I like it way more than I thought I would. I will go on a limb here and say it feels to me, and I may get some $hit for this on a Mclaren site, that it sits in between a Porsche and a Ferrari - if that makes
Hi welcome.

Quick addressing some of the quirks.
1. Likely the hydraulic suspension pump. It’s pretty loud outside the car. Pure quirk. Can check with dealer if fluid is topped off.

2. This happens when you park the car and hit the turn signal stalk on the way out. The direction the signal stalk was hit is the direction of the lights Turn signal/drl side that’s on. Usually the cars electronics turn off not after you kill the engine but after you open the door. Gets weird when you cycle Ingition with the door open.

3/4. Welcome to all mclarens

5 subjective to a degree but it’s it’s okay the severe side have the dealer check it. But it’s a bit rough when warming up the cats. OR your AC is not on. Just make sure AC is on not just the fan. Per mclaren it’s emissions related.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
A few things:

The right tail light staying on - Not many people know but this is a feature and used by people in Europe who park on dimly lighted streets and keep one light on so that other cars will know that the car is parked there. Many people get stuck when this happens to them because they have inadvertently activated the feature and think its a quirk and don't know how to turn it off. (this has happened to me).

It happens when you turn off the car, it is still awake and you put the signal indicator up or down and exit the car. The only way to take it off is to go back into the car, power it up and then return the signal indicator to the neutral position. Almost every time this happens by mistake (ie; you somehow touch the signal indicator on your way outside of the car while it is still awake.

Brake creep - you will begin to appreciate this feature when you are in tight parking spots, in your garage or putting the car onto a trailer. You are susceptible of hitting something without brake creep in tight parking spots by giving the car some gas to get it moving.

Brake pedal feel - just something to get used to. I have issues when I transition from one marque to another with regards to pedal feel.

No $hit on a mclaren forum - most people with mac's have owned porsche/ferrari/lambo and continue to do so.

Congrats on buying the G.O.A.T. of all supercars below hypercars.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The brake thing scared the pants off me at the first traffic light. It only took me a few days to adapt, and I have no complaints now except how woolly my Phaeton feels when I'm forced to drive it instead of the McLaren. Have you tried left foot braking? Much easier with the McLaren setup.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The brake thing scared the pants off me at the first traffic light. It only took me a few days to adapt, and I have no complaints now except how woolly my Phaeton feels when I'm forced to drive it instead of the McLaren. Have you tried left foot braking? Much easier with the McLaren setup.
When parking and maneuvering, yes, I figured out pretty quickly that left foot braking works much better than transitioning my right foot off the brake, especially in tight situations. I really have no problem with other marque's DCT transmission creep, I think the Mclaren brake pressure issue makes it more annoying honestly. Again time will tell and I'm sure I'll adjust.

Have my PPF guy (finally) doing his thing today so hopefully more miles this week/weekend!

·
Registered
322 Posts
You've scared me now about the PPF. My battery died halfway through dinner PPF replacement and I've been driving it since with the hood unprotected.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Interesting on PPF. I had not problems in the 100 miles or so I drove before having my PPF applied as there is already a factory piece on the door bottom. I did have my PPF applier do the entire door bottom twice though.

The light thing is kind of funny. This is my second Mac and it literally took me like a year to figure it out on my 570. If I get out of the car holding something, my rear end tends to bump the turn signal stalk and lights are left on. It drove me nuts. Wish I had asked the forum like you did.

In any case, I've owned lots of Porsches but never a Ferrari. I would imagine someday I'll have a Ferrari when I have more garage space. However I chose the Mac over any Ferrari just because of personality. Most guys who buy these cars can pick their car, and while all cars in this class are rare, you just see fewer McLarens. I think that makes them unique. Love the car and good luck....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
PPF going on (taking 4 days).. my guy likes to take his time.. while doing the PPF and under the lighting, I noticed something interesting - the lower rear body cladding (ahead of the rear wheels) - on both sides - doesn't properly sit flush against the body. Again, on both sides - wondering if this is by design?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Interesting.. The pictures I posted are both sides. Guess I'll have to check another spider at dealer.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Mine are flush for sure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
PPF going on (taking 4 days).. my guy likes to take his time.. while doing the PPF and under the lighting, I noticed something interesting - the lower rear body cladding (ahead of the rear wheels) - on both sides - doesn't properly sit flush against the body. Again, on both sides - wondering if this is by design?

View attachment 213034

View attachment 213035
Great Spec! Interesting note on this - im no expert, but I was within inches of purchasing 720s Spider in Florida that had this same issue. Matt at McLaren Tampa Bay indicated that it was fairly common and that service can adjust then flush in a few minutes. He said it occurs as heat builds in that area and there is different pliability on the seam as they are two different materials.

Again, just an observation from a well-known McLaren Dealer.

·
Registered
2020 Explorer ST, 2018 Merc, in search of money for a 12C...
176 Posts
Welcome to the site, congrats on the gorgeous car! I am also from NJ, whereabouts are you located? I am in CNJ right near the PNC Arts Center.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I was at that dealer a few weeks ago, they had a Speedtail parked out the back in that enormous service parking area they have....

·
Registered
147 Posts

View attachment 213034

View attachment 213035
„Normal“ sadly. According to my dealer, the panels warp due to the heat from the coolers behind in the first couple hundred miles. Easily fixed by the dealer at first service. Congrats otherwise, it really is a mean machine. I find mine borderline too fast, as i am constantly in license loss territory without really realizing. MP4 was perfect in that regard.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts