McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a brief chance to play with the new Iris and here are some observations

1. The radio quality is a huge improvement with crisp clarity.
2. The satnav is different and seems OK but we were static
3. The screen seems to have more depth and takes a touch faster.....it is capacitive or some such term!
4. Phone seems OK but we were static

The buttons below the screen were different.

That's all I can say at this time.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It can be retrofitted but takes 3 days labour...ahhh. The buttons fit in the normal space.

Apparently the dashboard and underfloor require removal.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Capacitive is better than the current resistive. Capacitive is like an iPhone or iPad, and should feel smooth like glass rather than the current plasticky feel.

While that is nice, that's not worth the hassle for me. My hope is that there is more in the hardware. Like improved antennae (fm, GPS), data ability to provide traffic info, wifi enablement, and most importantly, improved software (particularly for finding music and entering navigation destination).

While I like the keyboard interface for typing, the software needs a less rigid field by field interface, and a more free form one like in google or apple maps, where you enter just snippets of the address and get search results you can choose from. Voice entry like "give me directions for 123 Main Street in New York" should work.

The above would certainly make it worth the hassle.

It will be interesting to see what else is new...

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Its an android based system so whilst not ios which am sure some would have preferred I suspect that it will be the kind of feel that were looking for... Should in theory allow all kinds of customization, but I suspect they won't unlock,for,developers for a while if ever. .. But vnc projection on the screen of any operating system should be possible eventually so you just have a big version of your favorite phone.. I stress that is certainly not out of the box functionality.

I will have to pay to get it and I will.. Am afraid I don't know what has been decided for those that have paid all or some..

Equally it seems upgrade will be done only at service. I.e they're not,rightly in my opinion, going to make it a priority .. So you'll get it or not as you require when your car next in for,service ,

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Interesting. That it's now Android instead of the old windows CE is huge in at least one major way. The development tools are soooooooo much better, that it will be significantly easier to make significant upgrades.

And, as you speculate, it will be possible to allow 3rd parties to do interesting things.

No wonder we've seen very little. They've been rewriting the entire system for Android. Painful, but I think ultimately a great call by McLaren!

Mikey, how do you know it's now Android? Is there some telltale when you interoperate with it, or did a little birdy tell you?

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
If it's Android and McLaren allows me to do, I'll write a GPS based laptimer for it :D
Would that just be an APP Martin,you know what a caveman I am,but do you need permission for these things?
Anyway you can do a deal for the rest of us :D

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Andy, great thing about android is it allows for sideloading apps. It's just a question of how you get the apps in there. So it will be doable without permission.

Of course, it would be way cooler for McLaren to take a leadership role here, and provide a legitimate way for people to load apps on it, and be a good gatekeeper on it.

It could really spawn a great marketplace and increase enthusiasm for the platform...

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Interesting. That it's now Android instead of the old windows CE is huge in at least one major way. The development tools are soooooooo much better, that it will be significantly easier to make significant upgrades.

And, as you speculate, it will be possible to allow 3rd parties to do interesting things.

No wonder we've seen very little. They've been rewriting the entire system for Android. Painful, but I think ultimately a great call by McLaren!

Mikey, how do you know it's now Android? Is there some telltale when you interoperate with it, or did a little birdy tell you?
I was at MTC yesterday John... That's what they told me.. I was very pleased also!

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Andy, great thing about android is it allows for sideloading apps. It's just a question of how you get the apps in there. So it will be doable without permission.

Of course, it would be way cooler for McLaren to take a leadership role here, and provide a legitimate way for people to load apps on it, and be a good gatekeeper on it.

It could really spawn a great marketplace and increase enthusiasm for the platform...
You think possibly through the USB? Or do I misunderstand John?

·
Registered
11,177 Posts

Sounds like fun.Where is the nearest 12c app!! and so on !

·
Registered
128 Posts
Interesting news. I'm going to assume the platform will be locked to prevent us from playing with the system :(

·
Registered
3,072 Posts

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
I know nothing about the technicals with regard to android, but I would be surprised but equally delighted if we were allowed to upload our own apps... One assumes they must be able to close the system somehow. However once you have bought it, surely you can what you want, assuming you void whatever warranty comes with..

Anyway, I'll let you chaps debate whether its technically possible I.e android can't be locked down, cos I no nothing about that subject,,

·
Owner
893 Posts
roundincircles,
Is there any real difference to the 2014MY system for those of us who just spec'd the standard stereo and really don't give a hoot about Nav and Phone stuff, while they enjoy their drives.:confused:

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
You think possibly through the USB? Or do I misunderstand John?
It's possible, but McLaren probably won't allow for that. What is more likely is if the drive can be identified in the system (whether the operating system is on a hard drive or on some memory stick), and then you can mount that drive on your computer and sideload almost anything in.

If McLaren provides a legitimate way to side/load and/or download apps, then through USB (perhaps via your android phone).

My guess is for the early versions, you'll have to resort to hacking it.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts