McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, thank you to Andrew, and all of the forum members, for contributing so much awesome information about the 12C. As soon as I test drove the car just 1 month ago, I knew I had to have one -- it was the first street car that I had driven in over 10 years that actually felt fast to me (I raced in Europe for 5 years, so the next-car syndrome was quite skewed!)

I was able to pick up a leftover 2012 Volcano Orange 12C with a lot more options than I would have ever purchased for a really, really good price; combined with a close-end lease with a high residual, there was no way that I *couldn't* get this car... it's ended up costing me less than the V10 R8 Spyder that I was looking at per month, which is just insane to me, but I know that I just got really lucky with my timing with the release of the Spyder, people trading in their Coupes for them, etc.

I'm currently splitting my time between San Francisco and Miami, and am just dying to get the 12C in the NorCal to enjoy the amazing roads there. Incidentally, ever do a Google search for "good driving roads south florida"? Apparently, there really aren't any; any tips!?

With only 20 miles left to go in the break-in period, I'm about to experience launch control for the first time in the car, and will be attending a few track days later this year, and plan to take a lot of photos and videos to share with everyone.

Speaking of which... what good is a first post without photos? So without further ado...

·
Registered
913 Posts
my almost twin in Miami! Congrats!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone! It's been an absolute pleasure to drive so far. I still can't get over how hard the car accelerates, and how it manages to put the power down through only 2 wheels.

Fikse -- I've seen a number of your videos being shot at the old Moroso track I believe -- I'll PM you to see if we can get together sometime since it looks like you're a local, too?

LimeyBloke -- don't worry, I've not been taking it that easy; pretty much the only part of the break-in period that I've respected is not letting the car run too low on revs, and not using launch control. I've made it through the rest of the rev range many, many times already. There was a period about 3 weeks ago, before I had to go out of town for a bit, where I was literally only doing demo runs with the car to friends + family. My "range estimate" dropped to 40 miles, with 3/4 of a tank of petrol left! :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Very good looking car. I envy you. I won't get mine before August!

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
which Andrew? Its by far the most common name on here when you get beneath the Avatars!
This thread is full of VO owners too,getting a bit common I think:cool:
Just out of interest what did you race in Europe? And welcome to the club,we are getting a flood of the converted just lately,the word is getting out !!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
which Andrew? Its by far the most common name on here when you get beneath the Avatars!
This thread is full of VO owners too,getting a bit common I think:cool:
Just out of interest what did you race in Europe? And welcome to the club,we are getting a flood of the converted just lately,the word is getting out !!
Haha sorry, I should have used his handle on here; I was referring to RWD, but all of the Andrews/Andys on here seem like pretty decent folk (or at least you pretend to be! :)

I'm comfortable with VO being common, as it's my favorite color on the car and the one that I sought out after calling every single McLaren dealer in the US last month to find the right one. It's just damn hard to photograph well, since it really needs a lot of light in order to bring out how dynamic the paint is, yet I've always shot cars at sunset. Will keep working at it!

As for racing in Europe, I raced single seaters up to F3, then switched to GT cars. La Filiere Formule Campus (now French F4) in France, Formula Renault + Formula 3 testing in UK, Formula Palmer Audi in UK (with 1 race at Spa, and 1 at Monza; oh, how I love Spa!), Seat Cupra Cup in UK, and Porsche Carrera Cup in UK.

What I wouldn't do for a chance to take the 12C to some of my favorite European tracks is a very, very short list :)

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Sounds like a fun career!! I will be looking forward to your driving impressions given your ability will be on several planes higher than mine:) guess you know I have a common one as well ;)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Uh-oh...

Uh-oh... I just re-discovered HDR and tonemapping. Will be using it tastefully in the future, but had to share this pic from Surreal mode with a few tweaks -- makes the Volcano Orange look metallic!

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Uh-oh... I just re-discovered HDR and tonemapping. Will be using it tastefully in the future, but had to share this pic from Surreal mode with a few tweaks -- makes the Volcano Orange look metallic!
Thats an awesome picture!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
First off, thank you to Andrew, and all of the forum members, for contributing so much awesome information about the 12C. As soon as I test drove the car just 1 month ago, I knew I had to have one -- it was the first street car that I had driven in over 10 years that actually felt fast to me (I raced in Europe for 5 years, so the next-car syndrome was quite skewed!)

I was able to pick up a leftover 2012 Volcano Orange 12C with a lot more options than I would have ever purchased for a really, really good price; combined with a close-end lease with a high residual, there was no way that I *couldn't* get this car... it's ended up costing me less than the V10 R8 Spyder that I was looking at per month, which is just insane to me, but I know that I just got really lucky with my timing with the release of the Spyder, people trading in their Coupes for them, etc.

I'm currently splitting my time between San Francisco and Miami, and am just dying to get the 12C in the NorCal to enjoy the amazing roads there. Incidentally, ever do a Google search for "good driving roads south florida"? Apparently, there really aren't any; any tips!?

With only 20 miles left to go in the break-in period, I'm about to experience launch control for the first time in the car, and will be attending a few track days later this year, and plan to take a lot of photos and videos to share with everyone.

Speaking of which... what good is a first post without photos? So without further ado...

Wow. Volcano orange needs to be photo'd in HDR all the time. Regular shots do not have the dynamic range to do it justice. Beautiful. Congrats!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts