McLaren Life banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
It's not even close. Unless you're REALLY, and I mean REALLY in love with the look of those carbon nicknacks, get the new car. Sure, 5000 miles of garage queen use is nothing, however, you have no way of knowing what that car has been through.

The biggest option other than the carbon fiber trinkity finish is the sports exhaust, and if the extra sound is something you REALLY enjoy, or you hate black and love white, then it may make sense to get used.

But otherwise, it wouldn't even be a close call for me. As always, YMMV. Good luck with the decision!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Thanks Guys, if I did go for the new black 12c, what would be a good price in view of the current market?
It's been a while since I was actively in the market. 2-3 months ago, 210 for that car was a good price. 2 things have occurred to bat the price in both directions. First, there are a lot less new 2012 left overs, which would tend to increase the price. However, it's also a lot older, and there are still a lot of low mileage 2012's, which tends to depress the price.

I'm speculating here, and would be interested in other's opinions, but I would think for a new car, a really good deal on that would be 195, but not sure you can get that. You probably can get them down to low 200s though...

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
BTW, I love black cars, as my avatar attests. I do however agree with Mark that black can be a pain to keep tidy. Silver is probably your best bet for not showing dirt as readily.

Anyway, 2 tips that are useful to keep black cars clean, which is why I generally get black cars. First, if you keep it in a garage, that helps hugely. Second, if you have clear wrapped the car, you don't need someone to be a super pro to wash it, and can just pay your local car washer to keep it generally tidy. My garage will hand wash the car for $20, so I have it washed every 2 or 3 drives.

As for the lines of the car, I think Mark may be right with regard to pictures, but in person, you see the lines on a black car really well, and it's almost liquid in it's look. And very sinister on the Mac. Other colors on the Mac highlight the black mouth, which makes it look like a happy puppy. Not a bad look at all, but I like it looking a touch more stealthy.

Of course, color is a super subjective thing, and no wrong answers here, only wrong answers for your personal tastes. So if you hate black or hate white, that would definitely influence me. You're getting this thing to enjoy it, not because you need it. Every time you just look at the damn thing, it should make you smile, and not wish you got it in a different color.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.