McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I have been lurking for some time while researching for my imminent Mclaren purchase, and I want to get some advice on which route would be best to take. Here are my two options:

I'm not really looking to spend more than low 200s, so my choices are limited to a 2012 coupe. What I am hanging up on is either buying a new, carbon black 2012 coupe with the following specs

Lightweight wheels
Premium Sound
Electric and Heated seats
Carbon airbrake
Carbon Front Diffuser
Parking Sensors
Carbon Engine bay
Carbon Door Sills

This car has 40 delivery miles and is in pristine condition for a showroom car. I would pay about 210 for this car. My next option would be a slightly used coupe. I can get one for about 190 with all of the popular options. One pearl white model I am looking at is equipped with the following:

Ultra Lightweight wheels
Premium Sound
Electric and Heated Seats
Carbon Turning Vanes
Carbon Interior
Sports Exhaust
Carbon Front Diffusor
Custom Zoned interior
All carbon engine bay
Carbon Door Sills
Carbon Rear Diffusor

This car has about 5,000 miles and was purchased in my local area (Los Angeles). So what do you gents think? Is it worth it to pay more for a less optioned new car? or should I get a used one with a better spec for less?

Thank you

Patrick

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
5,000 miles on this car is nothing,so if its in good condition and you like the extra options go for it.
If the options mean nothing to you then go for the colour you like,if you are keeping the car for a while then the 5k miles will soon equal out any way and they are both model12 cars anyway.So for me if I liked the white colour I would be saving 15k to spend on track days:)

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
If it has 5000 miles, it is worth about $10,000 less than the other car. There are tons of cars around. It is better if you give us MSRP also. You should be able to buy a 300k MSRP 2012 coupe with under 2000 miles for around $200k even. I have actual transaction numbers to back this up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Andy, Personally I think the 12c looks great in any color, so I could go for either the white or black. So the question for me isn't really about color, but about spec and mileage.

Thanks

Patrick

·
Registered
862 Posts
Which one do you prefer the look of? .... Buy that one and then every morning when you open the garage you don't have to think "Darn, wish I had bought the black/white (delete as appropriate) one".

Whichever you choose, you'll love driving it. Good luck.

Edited to add ..... Ignore this, your response to Andy wasn't there when I started typing it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Mark,

The MSRP on the black 12c (New) is 267,000. They said 210,000.

The MSRP on the white (5,000 miles) was 281,000. The owner said 190,000

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
The white one sounds like the better deal... but you can't really go wrong with either.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Hi Mark,

The MSRP on the black 12c (New) is 267,000. They said 210,000.

The MSRP on the white (5,000 miles) was 281,000. The owner said 190,000
Well the white one is the better deal, I still think you can get a more loaded, with the Superlight wheels (I think the car looks best with these) and carbon ceramic brakes (again the car looks best with these) for between 190 and 200k.

The black one has a pretty low MSRP IMO. My car had a 303k MSRP, my friends was 308k. I got 70k off MSRP, my buddy, 88k off MSRP. I bought my car 4 months earlier than my friend. Both cars had less than 1500 miles.

Hope that helps. Basically the asking price on the black car is way too high IMO.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Mark, so what do you think the white 12c should be numbers wise?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Thanks Mark, so what do you think the white 12c should be numbers wise?
With the miles, probably $180-183k. At $2.00 mile that would be fair, compared to a 1500 mile car.

Other things to consider, does the car have any clear bra applied? At a minimum the full front bumper, front diffusor, full front fenders, full hood, rull rockers, 1/2 mirrors, and some protection behind the rear tires should have been installed. The car should also have the turning vanes covered, or at least the leading edge.

Might inquire about this.

Has the car been fully updated? When was the last service? How far away from a dealer are you?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mark,

I know there is/was a clear bra applied, but I dont know to what extent and where. Of course, the car has been updated (Within the last couple of months) by Beverly Hills Mclaren, where I would go for service. I was told that the car is up to date with the service, but I dont know the exact date and what was done.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Mark,

I know there is/was a clear bra applied, but I dont know to what extent and where. Of course, the car has been updated (Within the last couple of months) by Beverly Hills Mclaren, where I would go for service. I was told that the car is up to date with the service, but I dont know the exact date and what was done.

Thanks
Annual service is between $1500 and $2000. Would be good to know when you will need to do the next one. Good negotiating tool.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
It's not even close. Unless you're REALLY, and I mean REALLY in love with the look of those carbon nicknacks, get the new car. Sure, 5000 miles of garage queen use is nothing, however, you have no way of knowing what that car has been through.

The biggest option other than the carbon fiber trinkity finish is the sports exhaust, and if the extra sound is something you REALLY enjoy, or you hate black and love white, then it may make sense to get used.

But otherwise, it wouldn't even be a close call for me. As always, YMMV. Good luck with the decision!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Guys, if I did go for the new black 12c, what would be a good price in view of the current market?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I searched for 2 months. First off, there were barely any $300k sticker cars out there. Most in the $270-280 ish range.
White or black? Usually one hates one or the other. I personally could never own a black car. Difficult to take care of, (detail wise) and you just can't see the lines of the car I.m.o.

I looked at a few used white ones in So Cal a couple weeks back. Wondering if one of them was the one you're considering. As they both had 5k miles as well.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I searched for 2 months. First off, there were barely any $300k sticker cars out there. Most in the $270-280 ish range.
White or black? Usually one hates one or the other. I personally could never own a black car. Difficult to take care of, (detail wise) and you just can't see the lines of the car I.m.o.

I looked at a few used white ones in So Cal a couple weeks back. Wondering if one of them was the one you're considering. As they both had 5k miles as well.
That is why patience is a virtue. Cars will be coming up as more and more owner's upgrade to the Spider version.

Back to the OP. I suggest you call Roy Cats up in Lynnwood. He has been selling a ton of low mile 12C coupes recently. Last car I heard, was a 500 mile Volcano Orange coupe, with an MSRP of 269, he bought it at auction for 100k off. Like I said, the black car is way too high.

I also agree, no offense Doug, but I am not a fan of black cars, been there, done that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Mark,

Is Roy the owner of cats exotics? I looked him up and didnt see any 12c's in his inventory. Perhaps he doesn't list them on his site? Personally I am not a huge fan of the flashy colors. I know I said that the 12c looked good in any color, but I would prefer a less ostentatious color than VO or MO.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Thanks Guys, if I did go for the new black 12c, what would be a good price in view of the current market?
It's been a while since I was actively in the market. 2-3 months ago, 210 for that car was a good price. 2 things have occurred to bat the price in both directions. First, there are a lot less new 2012 left overs, which would tend to increase the price. However, it's also a lot older, and there are still a lot of low mileage 2012's, which tends to depress the price.

I'm speculating here, and would be interested in other's opinions, but I would think for a new car, a really good deal on that would be 195, but not sure you can get that. You probably can get them down to low 200s though...

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
BTW, I love black cars, as my avatar attests. I do however agree with Mark that black can be a pain to keep tidy. Silver is probably your best bet for not showing dirt as readily.

Anyway, 2 tips that are useful to keep black cars clean, which is why I generally get black cars. First, if you keep it in a garage, that helps hugely. Second, if you have clear wrapped the car, you don't need someone to be a super pro to wash it, and can just pay your local car washer to keep it generally tidy. My garage will hand wash the car for $20, so I have it washed every 2 or 3 drives.

As for the lines of the car, I think Mark may be right with regard to pictures, but in person, you see the lines on a black car really well, and it's almost liquid in it's look. And very sinister on the Mac. Other colors on the Mac highlight the black mouth, which makes it look like a happy puppy. Not a bad look at all, but I like it looking a touch more stealthy.

Of course, color is a super subjective thing, and no wrong answers here, only wrong answers for your personal tastes. So if you hate black or hate white, that would definitely influence me. You're getting this thing to enjoy it, not because you need it. Every time you just look at the damn thing, it should make you smile, and not wish you got it in a different color.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Thanks Mark,

Is Roy the owner of cats exotics? I looked him up and didnt see any 12c's in his inventory. Perhaps he doesn't list them on his site? Personally I am not a huge fan of the flashy colors. I know I said that the 12c looked good in any color, but I would prefer a less ostentatious color than VO or MO.
Yes he is the owner. Tell him Mark referred you. He can find you a car, just be patient.

I have seen my friend Lou's white car in La Quinta, looked very nice.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts