McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone regret getting a loud color? I am really struggling with getting McLaren Orange or Carbon Black. I love the McLaren Orange but I wondering if all the attention will get annoying over time. Or dose color even matter in terms of noticeably? Would love to hear some opinions. Thanks in advance. I have pictures of the 2 choice I am struggling with.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
The car gets attention almost irrespective of colour. Here in the UK anyway.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
VRed but was also happy with VO which really suits the car shape.

·
Smitten
285 Posts
.... if all the attention will get annoying over time...
Think if you buy a supercar in a supercar color you should be prepared to share the love with all and sundry every time you stop. Bit like a Kardashian going out and expecting not to get papped, it just goes with the territory.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Personally I couldn't go with anything other than MO because of the history and lust of those dominating M8s. If you go with black why not the Fire Black? You get a great black with very subtle orange flec in the sun.

·
Registered
886 Posts
ohh and another thing. They painted the race cars papaya so they would stand out. The MO will be quite noticeable. Still no different than the yellow and orange lambos and the red F cars.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Hi KingFrog,

I had a similar dilemma and ultimately decided on Black. Now very glad I did, as the attention is still a bit too much for my liking. All the enthusiastic fans are fine - it's the police that can get quite annoying. Already been pulled over for the license plate thing, but also have had 2 more cops pull out and follow me, waiting for a slip up or excuse. All inside the first week. Yes, in any colour the car is striking. However, McLaren Orange is very loud and I have to imagine the attention will be amplified. Certainly the copper standing at roadside with his radar will snap to attention when he sees the Orange missile coming. In fact, my dealer was already nabbed in his MO demo car.

Still love the MO colour, though. There is a definitely a McLaren Orange car in my future, but it will be a track day special, not this 12C which has to serve duty as a daily. As a consolation, my CCB calipers and interior stitching are MO, which is very nicely done and has me harking back to Bruce in his CAN AM monsters! :)

Surprised nobody(?) has ordered Sapphire Black. I would think it would look awesome with orange accents, as blue and orange are complimentary on the spectrum.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I had a difficult time with color selection as well. This car looks great in most colors, so the decision is difficult, but you can't go wrong. I would suggest you see the car in person. It makes a great difference when you see the colors live. I know there aren't many 12cs around and it will be difficult, but it's very helpful. I was able to see my top 3-4 color choices in person and finally settled on titanium silver. This was not one of my original color choices, but I fell in love when I saw it in person.
Good luck!!

·
MmmmcLaren
1,375 Posts
For me, I'll need to flip a 3-sided coin for one of the following...

- Fire-black w/ orange (leather/alacantara trim & accents) & orange calipers + gun'metal wheel finish

- Titanium-silver w/ dark-blue (leather/alcantara trim & accents) & polished calipers + polished wheel finish

- Volcano-orange w/ anthractite/charcoal (leather/alcantara trim & accents) & silver calipers + stealth wheel finish

Point being, black-exterior + orange-interior on the MP4-12C is a sound selection! :D

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had some similar concerns. I really like the McLaren Orange with stealth and CF mirrors but wasn't really sure I wanted to go that bold and noticeable. I also only had the opportunity to see one of my choices in person, the Titanium Silver, and there were almost no pics of anything else when I placed my order early last year. I have the classic red Ferrari (took the easy color choice) and people do notice it; occasionally I don't take it out because I don't feel like being so conspicuous. But I've had more people walk up to me to talk about the MP4-12C or take pictures. I don't think it's as immediately noticeable as it would have been in McLaren Orange or perhaps as much as a red Ferrari, but it's a supercar and it still draws a lot of attention. And because it's a McLaren and isn't a more "common" Ferrari, people seem to be more fanatical and excited when they notice it. But it has started a lot of great conversations! You'll just need to decide whether you want a lot of attention (black) or a ridiculous amount of attention (orange). :D

·
Future Owner
63 Posts
I'm due to spec my car later this month and have been deliberating over colours.

On Saturday I was walking past the dealership at One Hyde Park and so called in to show the car to the wife (usual dealer B'ham). Mark was very good and took us downstairs to the garage to see all his pre-delivery stock - the problem was that the car looked good in every colour that he had....

My thoughts will end up where Andy is, and that is that I want to avoid drawing attention to what is already a 'flash' motor. I'm thinking of the standard blue, but I have yet to see a photo of one in that colour....does that mean that it will be unsaleable at changeover time? My usual colour is black, but it does start to get a little monotonous after a while....

Mark's advice was to have a clear idea before I visit the MTC because all the choice there will confuse me even more.....still not a bad decision to have :)

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Chris2011. I have seen the standard blue and it is very classy.......and I don't like blue! To my eyes it is a rich, subtle and darkish blue, plus it looks good on the car.......like,as you say , all the colours.

You have to see the colours for yourself, no doubt, and Mark is right about the MPC visit at least you see lots of colours.

Ask your dealer to arrange your visit to coincide with a blue car. It can be done.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I finally made up my mind. MO with the MSO black roof! Order is in. Thanks to everyone for all the help!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts