McLaren Life banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want some advice . Have had a couple of 720s ‘s that I have bought used in the past . I am considering doing a custom new build on a 2023 spider 720. The spider are holding there value decent right now but this is not a normal market . If I order one I have to pay sticker . I really think this is last year of the 720s ?? Also I think the market is going to soften back to pre-covid on super cars . The car will not be here until march/april next year . Is this a bad idea to order one right now ??

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
My opinion is yes. The market will definitely soften but nobody knows by how much. If it goes back to pre-Covid levels your new car would be worth 60k less right away. I don’t think that’s going to happen but there will be depreciation. The bigger problem is by the time your car arrives the facelift 750 (or what ever it will be called) will probably be announced. That means the market will start to be flooded with a lot of people selling to get the new model. Now with all that being said if you love the car and aren’t worried about the future value. It’s an amazing car and you would be getting exactly what you want. again, just my .02

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
If you are not interested in “the next best thing”, you can’t go wrong with a 720S as a car for enjoyment since many consider it the GOAT of supercars. However, if you are looking at retaining value, unfortunately yes, it seems this would be a bad time to purchase.

2012 MP4-12C
2,738 Posts
What current car values or future values are means absolutely nothing when you're paying sticker regardless. What prices are going to do after spring means nothing unless you plan on selling it shortly after. NOBODY can predict what that car will be worth in years to come and the only value that matters is what it's worth when you decide to sell it. Just order the car you want unless you want to wait on the replacement which may feature something you don't like, in which it's too late to order a 720.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I picked up my factory ordered 720s spider last month, couldn't be more pleased, I don't think there will be another non Hybrid car from Mclaren this will be one of the last, although the will probably keep making it in limited numbers until its replacement is launched which given Artura woes, could be a few years. love that I got to pick my spec and have it my way, sure i may lose some money if I sell it down the line, that is what it is, but if i have the chance i'm keeping this one for a very long time and i'm enjoying every mile, go for it, life is too short to worry about what if

·
Registered
64 Posts
I thought people are saying production on the spider ends this year. If the car will arrive next march/April in the US does that mean they are still producing it until q1 next year? I got my allocation in May and it will finish production in Sept with delivery about a month after. Hearing “prices are coming down” does concern me as well since I am paying sticker.

With the rumor saying 750 will be announced next year and delivery begins end of 2023, yes it might be a bad time to get in a 720, but consider the 750 spider won’t be out until 2024 and potential delays here and there plus potential waitlist, we are looking at 2025 or so? I know I don’t want to wait that long.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I thought people are saying production on the spider ends this year. If the car will arrive next march/April in the US does that mean they are still producing it until q1 next year? I got my allocation in May and it will finish production in Sept with delivery about a month after. Hearing “prices are coming down” does concern me as well since I am paying sticker.

With the rumor saying 750 will be announced next year and delivery begins end of 2023, yes it might be a bad time to get in a 720, but consider the 750 spider won’t be out until 2024 and potential delays here and there plus potential waitlist, we are looking at 2025 or so? I know I don’t want to wait that long.
Production be continuing into next year at this point. The Artura delays have pushed everything back. I know my dealer is still activity taking 720s orders with allocations to be built in 2023.

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
Most of the 720s ordered since December 2021 were supposed to be December 2022 or later build slots. The order book closing in 2022 (or whenever) doesn’t mean anything about when the cars are built.

I don’t think anyone knows when the 720 order book will close. “Soon” could be 12/31/22 or it could be the day before the 750 (or whatever) announce. But soon could also be “when the current set of parts and tooling run out”

If you want the car, order it while you can. If you want an investment, try stocks or real estate. If depreciation is really a show stopper for you, there’s a really broad selection of used 720s…

·
Registered
880 Posts
Ordering a 720S now also has its advantages, because I think this car is now very mature and still by far the best you can buy in this segment.
And I'm soo glad it doesn't have that crappy Apple CarPlay interface. I don't need these Silicon Valley dorks in my McLaren too.

Regarding the 750, remember that this car will also get a successor and it will all repeat itself again. ALL "standard" models have their depreciation as long as you don't buy a limited version or a hyper car from McLaren.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts