McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I now have a consistent problem with the nav system. After inputting a destination, when I am driving on city streets all is well. But once I enter the freeway, at some point the system will stop counting down the distance to my next turn and to my destination. As a result, it will stop giving me instructions on when to turn.

Some part of the system must know where my car is, because its avatar is displayed in the correct location on the moving map. But since the miles to destination does not get counted down, the arrival time marches forward.

At some random point the nav system will rediscover where the car actually is and update the distance and arrival numbers. But then the problem reoccurs immediately.

When I took the car into the dealer for this and a few other issues two weeks ago, I was told that McLaren had heard of the issue but did not have a fix. How many other owners are experiencing this problem? Is it widespread or limited to a few cars? Has anyone heard from their dealer when a fix might be forthcoming? This problem is really frustrating and makes the nav system unusable IMO, :mad:

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Mk 2 software just been released as per dealer late last week. Did not ask what the reason was.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I also have this and didn't find the nav reliable.
I was driving on the highway direction see and remarked the nav wasn't counting back for the exit. When passing the exit it said nothing and quided me to another much further exit. Lucky I've got Tomtom as well on my iphone. when driving on secondary roads the Nav & Tom tom were perfectly synchronised. Approaching final destination they decided differently and followed the tomtom direction. It was wrong so returned and followed the mc Nav.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I drove down to Devon the other week and the nav system was about as much use as my wife with a map. On the plus side I could shout and moan at Doris without her sulking for an hour. I found you had to read the screen instructions and remember them as the system did not prompt you on the motorway, it seemed to work OK on minor roads, hope update sorts this

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Mk 2 software just been released as per dealer late last week. Did not ask what the reason was.
I think, as with all updates, the reason might be to make a perfect system even better, almost epic :D In case of IRIS it might even lead to a system that does not get completely lost after driving through a tunnel, which happens to mine every single time :rolleyes:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Let's face it, the Nav system is pretty hopeless; mine often shows me heading in completely the opposite direction of where I'm actually going, and then suddenly realizes it and rotates itself around. Seems to be a very slow update in the system

·
Registered
232 Posts
Reset button helps...

Got my coupe a few days ago. The Nav/music is definitely glitchy. Have found that if you hold the main button down, the system will reboot, and everything seems to get back on track.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got my coupe a few days ago. The Nav/music is definitely glitchy. Have found that if you hold the main button down, the system will reboot, and everything seems to get back on track.
I've tried that endless times and the problem I reported in my OP persists.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Bummer on the reset experience.

A few days in, I admire the UI, and the spirit of purity in all aspects. But writing code is a tough assignment--especially for such a small user group. Together we can't possibly log enough hours to get this thing sorted. It is pretty clear as you sequence from screen to screen that smart guys did a great job thinking it out, but it is also clear that there are sequences that they never tried--since the sequence will hang it every time.

In the end, whether this approach is Hubris or a quest for purity in a world of compromised visions is up to each of us to decide.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Mine seems allways to directly to the nearest Pub and that without the Nav on!

We can all have a lauch with it but they do need to sort it out! I also have no interest bringing my car everytime to the workshop. We'll better gather all info's and "minor disturbances" and let Mclaren sort it out. Better would be a Mc tech joins in and tell us what they can do about it

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Mine seems allways to directly to the nearest Pub and that without the Nav on!

We can all have a lauch with it but they do need to sort it out! I also have no interest bringing my car everytime to the workshop. We'll better gather all info's and "minor disturbances" and let Mclaren sort it out. Better would be a Mc tech joins in and tell us what they can do about it
Well that's a good thing while your at it you could enjoy watching the Omloop Het Nieuwsblad ??. Well I guess it's to late for that, the race is over with your fellow country man Stijn Vandenbergh winning. As for the minor glitches I'm sure everything will eventually get worked, it's just a question of time. Cheers....??

·
Registered
964 Posts
I've been posting the very same issues with mine.
Hoping the update (yet again) software will be a fix .

By watching the map, you at least get an indication of the upcoming direction.

·
Owner
893 Posts
I have zero problems with the McLaren Navigation system....... It could be due to the fact that: I don't need it, and I did not order it !! :D:D

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Well that's a good thing while your at it you could enjoy watching the Omloop Het Nieuwsblad ??. Well I guess it's to late for that, the race is over with your fellow country man Stijn Vandenbergh winning. As for the minor glitches I'm sure everything will eventually get worked, it's just a question of time. Cheers....??
Slight error on my behalf the winner wasn't your fellow countryman but he did finish in second. I must have misread the information that was provided to me on cycling news. I just finished watching the complete video of the race and much to my amazement the winner of the race was 36 year old Italian Luca Paolini, well my wife will be happy. Cheers.....??

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
So has the recently available Nav. Update helped the problem? Told McLaren San Francisco about it, so they hopefully will update my car before it leaves on Wednesday or so.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
So has the recently available Nav. Update helped the problem? Told McLaren San Francisco about it, so they hopefully will update my car before it leaves on Wednesday or so.
Not sure as it was available only yesterday,maybe RIC got lost going to get it!!:D

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Not sure as it was available only yesterday,maybe RIC got lost going to get it!!:D
Alessandro just texted me. It is currently only available in the U.K. but he will try and get them to release it for me before my car leaves.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Yes, LOL, I got lost on my way to the Service Centre. Will get it next Month at annual service.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts