McLaren Life banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
$3K was out of control. $4500 is absurd. I am sure the aftermarket will take care of this at some point.
It's nuts. The battery price is about the same, but there are extra parts required to upgrade to Gen 3, if you can get them, they were back ordered when I needed a battery. I think I got one of the last Gen 2 batteries available.

2012 MP4-12C
1,664 Posts
$3K was out of control. $4500 is absurd. I am sure the aftermarket will take care of this at some point.
Yes, I am. If my car was Gen 2 I'd have it tested today, but it's Gen 1 so I am both testing the battery and the adapter harness I'm making when my connectors get here. Yeah that's right, plug and play harness!

Reactions: invisiblewave

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hi Folks,

It's not a question of affordability, but of taking hard earned income and throwing it in a trashcan every 6-12 months. Am I misreading something here? Are these fixes/issues I seem to 'constantly' read about the norm or a 1 in 100 event?

Thanks for your input
ESR
Owning a car like this is throwing money in the trash every day. You have to decide if the car gives you more enjoyment than that amount of money can get you otherwise. Maintenance, battery cost tires..... its part of the cost. The purchase price is just the foundational cost. I have a 720S, my buddy has had a 720S, a 600LT, a 620R a Senna a 570S GT4. Neither of us has had the problems you read about.

I worked for one of the big three (when there was a big three) in the service parts division. McLarens volume is lower than our worst case situation. When all you have is low volume runs the parts unit costs are going to be incredibly high. Super exotic low volume parts runs would only be more extreme. There is no way around it. BUT what a car, always get the adrenaline pumping and and big smiles.

2012 MP4-12C
1,664 Posts
Owning a car like this is throwing money in the trash every day. You have to decide if the car gives you more enjoyment than that amount of money can get you otherwise. Maintenance, battery cost tires..... its part of the cost. The purchase price is just the foundational cost. I have a 720S, my buddy has had a 720S, a 600LT, a 620R a Senna a 570S GT4. Neither of us has had the problems you read about.

I worked for one of the big three (when there was a big three) in the service parts division. McLarens volume is lower than our worst case situation. When all you have is low volume runs the parts unit costs are going to be incredibly high. Super exotic low volume parts runs would only be more extreme. There is no way around it. BUT what a car, always get the adrenaline pumping and and big smiles.
There is also the McLaren tax, where they take a high volume part and throw their name on it and charge 3-6x more than it should be. That's where my prior post comes from on finding the other way to do it for much cheaper.

·
Owner
955 Posts
There is also the McLaren tax, where they take a high volume part and throw their name on it and charge 3-6x more than it should be. That's where my prior post comes from on finding the other way to do it for much cheaper.
Let me know if you need a gen2 test bed.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts