McLaren Life banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,
I am new to the exotic space and am contemplating a 570S. However, all i read about are horror stories about 3k oil changes, 2k batteries, this breaking, that breaking and everything is 5k+ to fix. The excuse of "this is what you can anticipate from these type of cars" sounds like an excuse for poor quality and craftsmanship.....

Is this typical? Do other exotics (Lambo, Ferrari, etc) have these SAME issues?

It's not a question of affordability, but of taking hard earned income and throwing it in a trashcan every 6-12 months. Am I misreading something here? Are these fixes/issues I seem to 'constantly' read about the norm or a 1 in 100 event?

Thanks for your input
ESR

·
Registered
628 Posts
It's a hand made supercar, not a cheap car mass-produced by robots. A new battery is not $2k, it's >$3k, >$4k if you update to the Gen 3, other supercars are similar although McLaren parts prices do seem to be particularly outrageously priced. There are plenty of people here who report many miles in the 570 series without any problems, I met a guy at the weekend who had 35k on his from new without any issues. Mine has had a few things over its life, a leaking strut, a battery, and a power steering pump, and there's currently a loose piece of trim by the mirror, that was in 12k over 3 years. None of these are to do with poor quality or craftsmanship, since they're all components produced by someone else (the battery might be an exception, and there's reason to think the Gen 3 has updated battery technology).

·
Registered
219 Posts
Owned since new. 21,000 HARD miles on my 2018 570s track pack. 4 sets of tires, set of brake pads, launched the car easily over 150 times, tracked it, road trips, and its been 100% bulletproof. There are thousands of 570's on the road that are totally reliable and doing just fine. The 1% of people that have issues with their cars are usually the ones to come on the forums and complain. The other 99% of people are doing just fine. Maintenance wise, its no different than a Huracan or 488 or something of that level. Annual maintenance prices varies dealer to dealer, just remember its not a Honda Civic getting an oil change, its a Mclaren so its going to cost more than a $50 oil change at jiffy lube haha. Always get my cars serviced at Mclaren Scottsdale and they have been wonderful to me. Now have a 765LT in the garage and it also has been 100% bulletproof. I have total confidence in Mclarens cars and they have been nothing short of amazing.

·
Registered
199 Posts
You would have to measure your enthusiasm for an expensive hobby against your willingness to support an incredible car. Had a 570S for nearly two years and still am as happy as the first day.

·
Registered
121 Posts
No major issues with my 570s either. 2nd year service was like 2k and I just did my third year and it was less than 1k. I’d say that’s pretty normally for exotics, maybe even some other exotics would actually be even more expensive to maintain.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So - I am going to McLaren Charlotte in a couple of weeks to check out the 570 (coupe/spider/GT) as I have no familiarity with them. The sales guy stated that they don't allow test drives until you have selected a vehicle to purchase. Does that sound right? Somehow I thought that a high end dealership would be more professional than play the standard dealer games.....

·
Owner
867 Posts
I'd say the horror stories seem to be in the minority -- but I've had them on both my McLarens! My 12C suffered a cracked head, needed engine out new driveline dampers, heads, larger coolant system, etc. $75k later I love the car! My 570S dropped a spring from the clutch or somewhere, it jammed the starter ... another issue somewhat common. $13k later .... But that's the way it goes, I just had bad luck with both. Have the 12C back and super glad to have it -- no other supercar I've driven comes close to the McLarens (12C & 570 in my case). My best advice: 1) Make sure you have a McLaren approved warranty from the dealer; and 2) you will pay to play, unless you can service it yourself, you are not servicing a Toyota Corolla at the local dealer ....

·
Registered
121 Posts
So - I am going to McLaren Charlotte in a couple of weeks to check out the 570 (coupe/spider/GT) as I have no familiarity with them. The sales guy stated that they don't allow test drives until you have selected a vehicle to purchase. Does that sound right? Somehow I thought that a high end dealership would be more professional than play the standard dealer games.....
I bought my car at McLaren Charlotte. Got the car I wanted and basically worked the whole deal before ever driving it. When I arrived, I basically said the deal was obviously contingent on me driving the car first. So can’t comment on how things would have went if I just showed up at the dealer with interest. I’ve heard other dealers have been more than happy to do test drives of different cars if there is legit interest. Will say this though Charlotte was disappointingly not prepared for me to purchase the car. It had not been washed before I arrived, and the paperwork was no where near ready. (I flew in from a different state to buy the car.). My wife and I sat around their waiting room for many hours not knowing what was going on. Eventually we asked if we could get some food, and they let us use one of the Benz they had on the lot to go to a restaurant while they continue to try to get ready for us. Was super annoying as I was expecting to be in and out in less than an hour since they knew the only way I wasn’t buying was iif there was something I didn’t like with the car when I drove it and saw it in person. I even financed through them. So will say I was completely disappointed with the purchasing experience there and level of communication when I was sitting in the waiting room.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Buy the factory extended warranty and make sure that all the software has been updated prior to purchase. Currently getting bent over from this. Bought mine 6 months ago....

·
Registered
121 Posts
Should note Ive also heard that some dealerships might be sharing inventory since right now it’s hard to find McLarens currently. So it could be they are worried a car you are interested in isn’t even at their dealership.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Buy the factory extended warranty and make sure that all the software has been updated prior to purchase. Currently getting bent over from this. Bought mine 6 months ago....
So Mikespeed6 - great point - is there a "punch list" of things to ensure when buying a used 570? A list of things that you want to be sure are in mint condition that a PPI may or may not identify (clutch condition, software, etc)

·
Registered
121 Posts
So Mikespeed6 - great point - is there a "punch list" of things to ensure when buying a used 570? A list of things that you want to be sure are in mint condition that a PPI may or may not identify (clutch condition, software, etc)
Extended warranty, validate last service, see if you can work a service into the deal. Look under the car for scrapes, check wheels for scrapes. Since McLarens are handmade, all panels can be adjusted should a line look off. I highly recommend taking another person with you who is less excited about the purchase than yourself. My wife could care less about cars, and noticed somethings about the car that I completely overlooked and we had them address before I signed. Example one of the wheel well trim pieces was drooping down.

I’ve been sort thinking of selling mine, been testing the market, if you are interested in a white spider.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I bought my car at McLaren Charlotte. Got the car I wanted and basically worked the whole deal before ever driving it. When I arrived, I basically said the deal was obviously contingent on me driving the car first. So can’t comment on how things would have went if I just showed up at the dealer with interest. I’ve heard other dealers have been more than happy to do test drives of different cars if there is legit interest. Will say this though Charlotte was disappointingly not prepared for me to purchase the car. It had not been washed before I arrived, and the paperwork was no where near ready. (I flew in from a different state to buy the car.). My wife and I sat around their waiting room for many hours not knowing what was going on. Eventually we asked if we could get some food, and they let us use one of the Benz they had on the lot to go to a restaurant while they continue to try to get ready for us. Was super annoying as I was expecting to be in and out in less than an hour since they knew the only way I wasn’t buying was iif there was something I didn’t like with the car when I drove it and saw it in person. I even financed through them. So will say I was completely disappointed with the purchasing experience there and level of communication when I was sitting in the waiting room.
That's the identical story to mine with Denver. 3 months later and I still don't have the title.....

·
Owner
945 Posts
3 1/2 years and it's been bullet proof. Oil changes aren't $3K. Batteries are $3K. But there may be less expensive solutions on the horizon. Not Autozone cheap, but less expensive. These are easy cars to work on. Oil changes are a snooze. DIY: $120 and a couple of hours. Dealer will probably charge $500-$800. Annual service prices at dealers vary from $1200-$2500. The actual service is an oil change, some filters, some other fluid changes and some checks. The contents of which is available through Macca's technical site.

Don't be afraid. But don't be stupid. Buy the best car you can afford. The cheapest one on the market, may be the most expensive and frustrating one to own. Check the history. Do a proper PPI. When everything checks out, you will love the McLaren experience.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just sealed the deal on a Mantis Green 570S from Charlotte a couple of weeks ago. Are you working with Kyle? That guy is the best and so far they have been very accomodating to my requests before taking delivery of the car.

I also recommended syncing up with one of the McMedics on here. Sean has been extremely helpful on my journey and they can even do a PPI for you (he's close by Charlotte). I'm coming from an AMG GTS, and 911 before... so I'm excited about this new path I'm heading down and Sean has responded to all of my - potentially annoying - email messages. Kudos to those guys.

2012 MP4-12C
1,619 Posts
Hi Folks,
I am new to the exotic space and am contemplating a 570S. However, all i read about are horror stories about 3k oil changes, 2k batteries, this breaking, that breaking and everything is 5k+ to fix. The excuse of "this is what you can anticipate from these type of cars" sounds like an excuse for poor quality and craftsmanship.....

Is this typical? Do other exotics (Lambo, Ferrari, etc) have these SAME issues?

It's not a question of affordability, but of taking hard earned income and throwing it in a trashcan every 6-12 months. Am I misreading something here? Are these fixes/issues I seem to 'constantly' read about the norm or a 1 in 100 event?

Thanks for your input
ESR
Some of the outlandish prices you hear are either A) Made up for drama (social media shock value, many Youtubers are guilty of this) B) Out of context or C) Applicable to a rare instance (like Bugatti Veyron, where the more modern Chiron is cheaper to own by far).

Lithium batteries are expensive. McLaren's battery in it's newest version will be over $4,000, meanwhile I'm in process of a solution for under $2,000. The highest oil change I've ever heard of someone spending on a McLaren in the US was $1,280 (most dealers are around $700-900) bringing the car into a dealer and $2,400 sending a car to a dealer and paying for transport both ways. You can do the oil change yourself (I've done videos on it) or non-dealer people can do it for you (also something I travel to you and do for). There are alternatives to the dealer and a McLaren branded part in many cases, particularly maintenance that make ownership quite a bit less. This is no different than Lamborghini or Ferrari.

If expensive repairs were a routine thing, people wouldn't own or drive the cars in any large scale (bought for the purpose of showing it off, not driving it). Remember, you'll always see people complain on their own but you rarely see praise unless it's asked for. For every 1,000 cars, there is 1 owner talking about it at all. I have an early 12C which the internet claims is the worst possible McLaren to buy (it's not) and you can see my ownership costs over the last 3 years here

I'm not far from Charlotte, I can do a PPI prior to you making that trip. I know what you're thinking, it's the dealer so the car has been looked over and it's fine. Well, I was supposed to go do a PPI on a car there but it wasn't needed after they looked at the car themselves and found things wrong with it having never even sat in a McLaren before. What they're saying about test driving, in different words, is they don't want joyriders coming in with no intentions of buying anything and going car to car driving the entire lot. Maybe the way you presented the idea was taken out of context, or maybe they won't let anyone drive anything till you're about to sign off on it, hard to say. Just remember that they don't know you, and a lot of people will never drive that kind of car if they don't "test drive" one.

Updates can be done by non-dealers sometimes ;) Factory extended warranties cover the items that don't break. If you're worried about software updates, it's cheaper to pay for the time to do updates than to pay for the warranty you won't use.

Reactions: JFeels

·
Owner
945 Posts
Batteries have gone up. Going from Gen 2 to Gen 3 is now around $4500 plus labour.
$3K was out of control. $4500 is absurd. I am sure the aftermarket will take care of this at some point.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts