McLaren Life banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Really nice group of cars - all the right brands represented! Having taken a similar approach myself, I'm interested in how you (and others with a similar 'problem' :) ) choose which car to take and for which occasions?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
All nice!! congrats!

Do the driveway curb fillers stay there all the time, or do you have to put them in and out?
They stay there all the time. After I put them out, I saw at least 8 more houses in neighborhood put them outside their driveway.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Really nice group of cars - all the right brands represented! Having taken a similar approach myself, I'm interested in how you (and others with a similar 'problem' :) ) choose which car to take and for which occasions?
It's a good problem to have. currently, i have 9 cars (besides the ones in the pictures; i have 2012 mercedes s550, infinity QX56, 2014 ranger rover supercharged and recent purchase of 2015 fiat abarth (bought only for the purpose of amusing my 4 year old daughter as I am going to be wrapping it in pink).

My wife drives the above cars and occasionally the bentley flying spur.

I only have garage space for four cars. Therefore, among the exotics I keep the porsche turbo S on the driveway. Because I am lazy and it is the most accessible car; it is the car i use most often. Sadly, I will be trading this in for the 675 LT.

Once I trade in the turbo S then the mclaren 650s will become the most driven.

If i have to make a quick drive to gas station or grocery store then I try to take the turbo s. If i am in no hurry then i will take the mclaren 650s. Reason is that every trip which involves a stop with the mclaren is followed by 15 minute conversation with someone about the car.

If I want to show off and use launch control to a friend then i take the turbo S.

If I a going somewhere which needs valet parking then I take either the speicale or the 650s. If I think the valet will not move the car then I will take the 650s. Reason is that it is low to the ground and i don't trust any non mclaren owner to be able to use the lift feature.

If i am in a particularly aggressive mood then i take the speciale just because i like the capristo sounding exhaust.

If i feel civilized then I take the mclaren. Mainly because I feel refined when i drive it in the normal suspension with the track transmission.

If i a taking my 4 year old daughter for a ride; then i take the mclaren because she enjoys having the top off. Can't take my 2 year old son because he can reach the drive/neutral/reverse controls

If i am taking my 2 year old son then i prefer the speciale due to him not being able to reach the controls

if i am driving by myself then i take the turbo s or the scud. Since the scud is so loud (novitec full package), I would never take it out if there was a chance that someone else was going to sit with me. No sense in driving my kids in the turbo s because the back is so small that they can't fit with the child seats.

The flying spur hardly gets driven. Mainly because when we go out as a family; the entertainment center at the back of the car can only be operated by the rear passengers and that too with headphones only. My 4 and 2 year old kid haven't figured out how to use it yet.

I like to invite my friends to drives on the weekends or cars and coffee events. There are 3 main events I go to each month. Two of them, you can bring any cars (San Francisco cars and coffee and blackhawk cars and coffee). In these two events, I will get more attention with the mclaren because there are hardly any other owners with mclaren who attend (note they both attract 700 to 800 cars). The santana row is exotics only and there will usually be 5 to 6 mclarens at the event (don't feel so special at the event).

I am most possessive of the mclaren. Not only because it drives well and I like the attention but because it is so low to the ground, I don't really trust anyone with it.

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,027 Posts
...snip lots of decisions....
Dude, I wish I could call you when I have netflix open or want to order something to eat.

I wear the same thing every day at this point just to avoid one more decision in life.

My brain is melting at the thought of having to decide among so many awesome rides. Kudos on both the means and disposal thereof!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
It's a good problem to have. currently, i have 9 cars (besides the ones in the pictures; i have 2012 mercedes s550, infinity QX56, 2014 ranger rover supercharged and recent purchase of 2015 fiat abarth (bought only for the purpose of amusing my 4 year old daughter as I am going to be wrapping it in pink).

I only have garage space for four cars. Therefore, among the exotics I keep the porsche turbo S on the driveway. Because I am lazy and it is the most accessible car; it is the car i use most often. Sadly, I will be trading this in for the 675 LT.

If i have to make a quick drive to gas station or grocery store then I try to take the turbo s. If i am in no hurry then i will take the mclaren 650s. Reason is that every trip which involves a stop with the mclaren is followed by 15 minute conversation with someone about the car.

If I want to show off and use launch control to a friend then i take the turbo S.

If I a going somewhere which needs valet parking then I take either the speicale or the 650s. If I think the valet will not move the car then I will take the 650s. Reason is that it is low to the ground and i don't trust any non mclaren owner to be able to use the lift feature.

If i am in a particularly aggressive mood then i take the speciale just because i like the capristo sounding exhaust.

If i feel civilized then I take the mclaren. Mainly because I feel refined when i drive it in the normal suspension with the track transmission.

If i a taking my 4 year old daughter for a ride; then i take the mclaren because she enjoys having the top off. Can't take my 2 year old son because he can reach the drive/neutral/reverse controls

If i am taking my 2 year old son then i prefer the speciale due to him not being able to reach the controls

if i am driving by myself then i take the turbo s or the scud. Since the scud is so loud (novitec full package), I would never take it out if there was a chance that someone else was going to sit with me. No sense in driving my kids in the turbo s because the back is so small that they can't fit with the child seats.

The flying spur hardly gets driven. Mainly because when we go out as a family; the entertainment center at the back of the car can only be operated by the rear passengers and that too with headphones only. My 4 and 2 year old kid haven't figured out how to use it yet.

I like to invite my friends to drives on the weekends or cars and coffee events. There are 3 main events I go to each month. Two of them, you can bring any cars (San Francisco cars and coffee and blackhawk cars and coffee). In these two events, I will get more attention with the mclaren because there are hardly any other owners with mclaren who attend (note they both attract 700 to 800 cars). The santana row is exotics only and there will usually be 5 to 6 mclarens at the event (don't feel so special at the event).

I am most possessive of the mclaren. Not only because it drives well and I like the attention but because it is so low to the ground, I don't really trust anyone with it.
Really nice post. I feel like I should reciprocate since you put so much effort in! I have six cars, a Subaru Ouback 2015, a Subaru Impreza Cosworth (number 1 of a limited run of 75 cars, UK only), a Range Rover Sport Autobiography, a Porsche 997 GTS Manual Cab, a 12C Spider and had a CS which is about to be replaced by a Speciale.

So, I usually make a number of trips to Europe over the summer. This year I will go to Le Mans, hopefully do a factory collection on the Speciale next month, a trip with mates from Venice to the UK and a trip to the Spa GP. Plus weekend use.

Outback; auto transmission, big space, ultra reliable - choose it for work mostly and if I need to carry stuff like drums around (I've played drums for years).

Impreza; my 'fun' car for the dead of winter - can still push on with winter tyres on it. It's a car I know very well and can drive around its imperfections automatically. A bit of a weapon and great on British B roads.

Range Rover; wife and family car (we have 5 kids, though two can drive themselves now). Great car but I usually find myself taking the Outback if I don't need the passenger spaces. We have driven to the Alps at least twice a year for the past 15 years so the RR and its predecessors have performed that duty. This Easter the Outback will do the job because it has a thing called 'eyesight' on it which is absolutely brilliant and better than the RR's adaptive cruise by miles.

Porsche; bought this to try and keep a few miles off the expensive cars plus also to give me a 'special' car I can take more than two people in and will be able to go to places that I feel the Mac and Ferrari won't be able to. I always love the 911 thing too, so adding one back in my stable has been a good decision. I bought a comparatively scarce GTS in manual as a second owner with low miles on it and plan to keep it as an alternate car for a long time. It will do the trip to Spa in August because I am going with my brother in law who has a 911 Turbo and I haven't taken a 911 on a Euro jaunt yet. We are also taking our boys (ages 12-17) with us!

McLaren; will do the Le Mans trip. Bringing something interesting gets us a better spot at our campsite! Last year it did Monaco, Venice and Balmoral in three separate trips, doing 9k miles in the process so I thought I better give it a quieter year this year. It is a brilliant Euro tour car, honestly brilliant. The ride quality, the performance, the excitement but with flexibility (and an open roof) is a difficult to beat combination. Between trips, I would use it occasionally for supermarket type journeys and it does that pretty well too - except in tight parking where the doors become an issue. Without the Porshce around I would find a lot more reason to use the Mac when I shouldn't really bother (I just like being in these cars, which makes for expensive shopping trip with little driving reward). We would take the Mac for very posh nights out, it is black and not quite so brash as the red, striped Ferrari...

Speciale; will get the most Euro action this year. Hopefully I will be driving it back to the UK from Maranello and we will do as much of the scenic route as time will allow. It then gets shipped off to Venice for an annual trip with a load of mates with Lambos, Ferraris, Ford GTs etc. this year, Venice, completely across the Alps doing many of the passes - Stelvio, Furka etc. The car is spec'd with harnesses etc and will not see as much action as the 12C overall, but for those occasions when the sacrifices are worth the effort and the driving is paramount, the Speciale will be the one. Very occasional use in UK due to the colour scheme although sometimes you can't help it - it's gotta be done!

·
Registered
7,997 Posts

i have just a fiat 500 abarth with the sole aim of amusing me.. ! actually not strictly true as my wife will drive it a lot also, but it has a manual box... my wife wanted the automatic.. ! trade up from our 500c with a whole 65 bhp..

nice garage nadeemy and nice rationale for using them all..

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Dude, I wish I could call you when I have netflix open or want to order something to eat.

I wear the same thing every day at this point just to avoid one more decision in life.

My brain is melting at the thought of having to decide among so many awesome rides. Kudos on both the means and disposal thereof!
After i posted it and read it again; it did seem a little complicated. ;)

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
luckylikey; glad you enjoy your cars. it sure seems that the exotic owners enjoy/drive their cars much more then those of us state side. My neighborhood has no shortage of exotics and you hardly see any of the owners driving them consistently.

Your also lucky that you got kids of driving age. It would be a wonderful feeling going for a rally with your children.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
thx mikey. we have a live in au pair and she was getting used to driving some of these cars and you should have seen her face when i told her we bought the abarth. she thought she did something wrong and that we were going to make her drive that car. She seemed to think she was going to lose prestige with the other au pairs if she was seen in the abarth.-:)

·
Registered
204 Posts
I like to invite my friends to drives on the weekends or cars and coffee events...Two of them, you can bring any cars (San Francisco cars and coffee and blackhawk cars and coffee).
I'll be at the Blackhawk Cars n Coffee event next Sunday, April 5, in my 2012 McLaren. Maybe I'll see you there! I'm arriving early this time, to make sure I can park near the center of activity!

·
Registered
1 Posts
@Nadeemy: I'm just a browser of this amazing forum because I love McLaren and all their cars. But I am out here in Danville, if you would ever like to meet up, talk cars, or let me do some nice photoshoots of your cars! Let me know!

·
Premium Member
2,461 Posts
Wow, never saw this thread originally. Love your cars Nady! Time for some updated pictures with the newer McLarens in them!

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
I think there's been a few additions to the garage since the thread was posted 😉 Time for an update with some more pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Very nice - think I drove by your house a few times, my buddy has a place in there as well.

Actually we'll be there in August for a family wedding :)

You have great taste in cars, no SUV's?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Very nice - think I drove by your house a few times, my buddy has a place in there as well.

Actually we'll be there in August for a family wedding :)

You have great taste in cars, no SUV's?
Thx, the garage is a little dated now. Main suv is a Range Rover black on black edition. I'll have to update the garage

21 - 40 of 42 Posts