McLaren Life banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was lucky enough to visit McLaren Technology Centre in Woking on Friday.

It truly is an incredible place. The excitement starts to build as soon as you see the sign from the roundabout. I then drove in and saw a parked up grey 12c which only added to my excitement. Got through security and entered the visitor's car park and from there I could see into an area where a P1 was parked amongst a load of 12c's. It's the first one I have seen with my own eyes. It was from a distance at this point but beautiful nonetheless.

I then entered the spiral staircase down into the underground area, walked down the very long and sci-fi-esque corridor to the lift at the end. That then took me up into the main room where all the F1 and classic McLaren cars stand side by side. It may sound childish but I had butterflies in my stomach at this point. My tour guide, Esteban, greeted me in the reception area and so began my tour of the facility.

I'll spare you the majority of the details (unless you'd like to hear them? :D) as I know a fair few of you have been and detailed your experiences on here already, but I have to say that I thought the place was incredible. From the friendly people to the incredible cars I just loved every minute of the experience. The production facility was so exciting. Watching the P1 being created blew me away. Listening to the technicians starting the engines around the room sent shivers down my spine.

Now I'm not actually part of the McLaren family yet as I do not own one but being there made me so envious of those of you that do. I have so much appreciation for this company and what they do. I know that a lot of people love to have a bash at McLaren on this forum but from what I have seen at their HQ I have no idea why. McLaren is one of the companies out there that are doing things the right way in my opinion. Growing the brand, creating their own identity in a tough market, competing well against their opposition performance wise, but most of all making people happy. I have fallen even more in love with the brand and can only hope that I am placing my order for one of their cars in the near future.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Well blagged Nick :)
It's always nice to read an 'outsiders' perspective on the centre.. some may think others may have our rose tinted glasses on- I did :eek:

I say outsider as in non owner but a fan of the brand and not as an insult in any way.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I was lucky enough to visit McLaren Technology Centre in Woking on Friday.

It truly is an incredible place. The excitement starts to build as soon as you see the sign from the roundabout. I then drove in and saw a parked up grey 12c which only added to my excitement. Got through security and entered the visitor's car park and from there I could see into an area where a P1 was parked amongst a load of 12c's. It's the first one I have seen with my own eyes. It was from a distance at this point but beautiful nonetheless.

I then entered the spiral staircase down into the underground area, walked down the very long and sci-fi-esque corridor to the lift at the end. That then took me up into the main room where all the F1 and classic McLaren cars stand side by side. It may sound childish but I had butterflies in my stomach at this point. My tour guide, Esteban, greeted me in the reception area and so began my tour of the facility.

I'll spare you the majority of the details (unless you'd like to hear them? :D) as I know a fair few of you have been and detailed your experiences on here already, but I have to say that I thought the place was incredible. From the friendly people to the incredible cars I just loved every minute of the experience. The production facility was so exciting. Watching the P1 being created blew me away. Listening to the technicians starting the engines around the room sent shivers down my spine.

Now I'm not actually part of the McLaren family yet as I do not own one but being there made me so envious of those of you that do. I have so much appreciation for this company and what they do. I know that a lot of people love to have a bash at McLaren on this forum but from what I have seen at their HQ I have no idea why. McLaren is one of the companies out there that are doing things the right way in my opinion. Growing the brand, creating their own identity in a tough market, competing well against their opposition performance wise, but most of all making people happy. I have fallen even more in love with the brand and can only hope that I am placing my order for one of their cars in the near future.
Is there a cost to take the tour?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well blagged Nick :)
It's always nice to read an 'outsiders' perspective on the centre.. some may think others may have our rose tinted glasses on- I did :eek:

I say outsider as in non owner but a fan of the brand and not as an insult in any way.
Haha don't worry Gary, I didn't take it as an insult.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Hi Nick.
Great post! Like you, as a not-yet owner, I'm also not part of the McLaren "family". Hovever, I've been a fan since the early 80's at a very young age so I still consider myself an 'Early Adopter'.
I'm planning on visiting the UK next year and hopefully will get the chance of a tour as well. I'm sure it will be a very emotional experience for me.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MPB - I hope you get a chance to visit MTC when you visit the UK. It's definitely worth it, especially as a McLaren fan.

6th - Thanks very much. Similarly to you I want to go back and I only visited a matter of days ago :p

Drifter - I didn't see Frank at MTC as he was busy that day but I met him a few months ago at one of his speeches on design. I got talking to him and explained how much of a fan of the brand I was and he then invited me to come and see their HQ. It was really kind of him. My tour guide was one of Frank's team. He was also a really cool guy. You really feel the passion of the employees at McLaren. They love what they do. I work in Finance and everybody is miserable. It was a nice change to see some smiles :D

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
MPB - I work in Finance and everybody is miserable. It was a nice change to see some smiles :D
Quote of the year. Just wonderful. Made my day. Necklinacre , your a star.

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Drifter - I didn't see Frank at MTC as he was busy that day but I met him a few months ago at one of his speeches on design. I got talking to him and explained how much of a fan of the brand I was and he then invited me to come and see their HQ. It was really kind of him. My tour guide was one of Frank's team. He was also a really cool guy. You really feel the passion of the employees at McLaren. They love what they do. I work in Finance and everybody is miserable. It was a nice change to see some smiles :D
Yes definitely, people seem to have this perception of everyone is like a scientist working for the ultimate villain that is Mr Ron Dennis, but this couldn't be further away from the truth, like you said they all love what they do, extremely passionate and a remarkable bunch of enthusiastic and down to earth individuals who occupy MTC. :)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here are a few pics from my day there (only iphone 5 quality). I didn't take many as you're not allowed to take pictures inside the facility for obvious reasons.

You can spot the P1 though, it's the one with its door open.

I also stopped by a Ferrari garage on the way home. It felt wrong after being at MTC ;)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
That's a great day, Nick! I'm jealous. I'm hoping to make it to the UK over the summer / fall next year. I've been told the dealerships can help set up MTC tours and it's definitely something I would love to do...

Those Ferraris are nice looking rides as well... I hope you're not feeling any torn loyalty :D

-nh4.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's a great day, Nick! I'm jealous. I'm hoping to make it to the UK over the summer / fall next year. I've been told the dealerships can help set up MTC tours and it's definitely something I would love to do...

Those Ferraris are nice looking rides as well... I hope you're not feeling any torn loyalty :D

-nh4.
I've driven the 12c and the 458 both on track days. I by far prefer the Mac :D

I'm sure the dealerships should be able to arrange something for you. You'll have such a good time there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts