McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im putting on my flame suit right now but here goes my counter point... looking at the spyder and the coupe, I realized that I still love the lines of the coupe over the spyder and Im really perplexed by the overwhelming consensus that the spyder looks better than the coupe... I originally wanted to change up for the spyder but now have decided to keep the coupe for that very reason... Ok.. now here are my reasons:

1. I have had convertible with retractable hard tops before and i spend far more time with it up then down... Just dont like tans or raccoon face( especially noticeable with glasses) too much...
2. Not sure if I like the idea of a heavier car since my love for the original was the light weight...the car being 40kg heavier and with other "amenitities just kind of takes that away... Would prefer the 25 hp upgrade be put to good use ;)
3. The lines, ah yes... the lines... While I see from the press how nice it is, I just simply love the swooping lines of the coupe better than the slightly chopped look of the pillars. To me, the spyder top lines remind me more of an lotus elise. The top has too many segments that break up the silhouette. The pillar covers going straight down to the doors I think conflict with the horizontal curves like an inverted T...
4. Sound... ok I might be missing the engine sound from the open top but I think Im fine with rolling down my windows... :)
5. No go on my personal color. Was going to order the spyder but the factory gave me a no on the color I was looking for... that was the final domino that stopped it for me...

Ultimately, both are great variants to a great platform... but at least thats my personal preference on the spyder vs the coupe. :)

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Im putting on my flame suit right now but here goes my counter point... looking at the spyder and the coupe, I realized that I still love the lines of the coupe over the spyder and Im really perplexed by the overwhelming consensus that the spyder looks better than the coupe... I originally wanted to change up for the spyder but now have decided to keep the coupe for that very reason... Ok.. now here are my reasons:

1. I have had convertible with retractable hard tops before and i spend far more time with it up then down... Just dont like tans or raccoon face( especially noticeable with glasses) too much...
2. Not sure if I like the idea of a heavier car since my love for the original was the light weight...the car being 40kg heavier and with other "amenitities just kind of takes that away... Would prefer the 25 hp upgrade be put to good use ;)
3. The lines, ah yes... the lines... While I see from the press how nice it is, I just simply love the swooping lines of the coupe better than the slightly chopped look of the pillars. To me, the spyder top lines remind me more of an lotus elise. The top has too many segments that break up the silhouette. The pillar covers going straight down to the doors I think conflict with the horizontal curves like an inverted T...
4. Sound... ok I might be missing the engine sound from the open top but I think Im fine with rolling down my windows... :)
5. No go on my personal color. Was going to order the spyder but the factory gave me a no on the color I was looking for... that was the final domino that stopped it for me...

Ultimately, both are great variants to a great platform... but at least thats my personal preference on the spyder vs the coupe. :)
All good reasons QV,now if only they would make the sliding back window an option for the coupe???? We could have our cake and eat it !!! :)

·
Registered
983 Posts
I'm with you QV, though when I saw the pics of the azure blue convertible, I started to second guess myself. And I might again when I drive it. But for now, I love my 2012 coupe (without the silly door button)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Also with you on this. While I love the original targa concept and removable roof panel idea (911, F 328 GTS, Carrera GT) I have yet to see an attractive retractable hard top spider. Come to think of it I don't like traditional convertibles either....

·
Owner
544 Posts
Not to mention the fact that you will need £220k - £230k for one........a quick glance in the classifieds should be enough to change anyones mind! At least we can be forgiven for being the first ones when there wasnt a used market for reference

·
Registered
983 Posts
Also with you on this. While I love the original targa concept and removable roof panel idea (911, F 328 GTS, Carrera GT) I have yet to see an attractive retractable hard top spider. Come to think of it I don't like traditional convertibles either....
Only one that I particularly like is the Koenigsegg's roof - and that's because there's no obvious break in the surface as you get on the retractable hard tops.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Glad it's not just me then, I looked at the spider and the spyder but preferred the coupe of them both, totally down to the lines.
Having took a late car, I'm so pleased that I've got the slide open rather than the button to...

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I'm with you QV, though when I saw the pics of the azure blue convertible, I started to second guess myself. And I might again when I drive it. But for now, I love my 2012 coupe (without the silly door button)
+100. I love my coupe but that Blue;) Blue sure looks tempting!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is always tempting to get the latest and greatest... ;) I was in the same boat since I was about to place order for the spyder as well... was a very tough call. But look at it this way, since majority of the 12c produced will be spyder in the future, the coupe is going to be a rarer car ;) lol.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Andy,
Will the sliding back (coupe) window come with a gas mask ..... because those engine fumes will be a bitch.;)
Im going on the theory that the car is designed so effectively with aero that everything would be dragged out backwards,including RIC,s coffee machine:D

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Im going on the theory that the car is designed so effectively with aero that everything would be dragged out backwards,including RIC,s coffee machine:D

Blimey, that does it for me, stay with my full caffeine coupe

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
if i changed i'd have to have the track pack and ceramics on it... although it would be close run thing on the brakes with the standards being so good... might get a few eyebrows raised though having all that kit on it..... wonder if the cage can be even fitted .. doubt it i guess if the seats don't even go as far back in the spider..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts