McLaren Life banner
81 - 100 of 108 Posts

· Registered
101 Posts
Same here. I'm also 6’4” and won't fit in any Lambos. Ferrari the same. Tried to sit in the SF90 and even with bucket seat on lowest position my head wouldn't fit.
Just sat in a P1 today and was amazed how even in 2012 they managed to give so much clearance over the head.
Does it matter if they are roadsters or is it mainly knee room? @Michaelj @Mr.Fusion

· Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
The thing with lambos is that the Huracan is a bit better in terms of size. With Aventador its much tighter. If you are a smaller person, you fit fine. At 6'4" I had no chance. I mean, I know I could squeeze in but for me it just wasnt comfortable. The roadsters for some reason have less room. I sit much higher in a roadster and like I stated previously, my head completely sticks halfway out.

Yes I can scrunch down and squeeze in but not fun for extended periods. Hoping the new Aventador replacement has more room but not holding my breath. I have been told by friends who were at the reveal that is has more room but no one was allowed to sit in it.

Regardless, for this reason, I dont see any lambos in my future unless they change completely.

· Registered
331 Posts
My buddy has an svj roadster. When I sat in it half my head was sticking out of the windshield.
Yep exactly. Of yourse no worries with space over my head with the top down but I would need to duck down to see anything. But Aventador and Huracan are old cars so I kind of expect that..I was surprised though that even with a modern car like an SF90 with an entirely new platform I was bumping my head against the roof.

· Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Yep exactly. Of yourse no worries with space over my head with the top down but I would need to duck down to see anything. But Aventador and Huracan are old cars so I kind of expect that..I was surprised though that even with a modern car like an SF90 with an entirely new platform I was bumping my head against the roof.
So Ive never had an issue with Ferrari but SF90 and 296 were surprisingly compact. To the point that I dont know if I can follow through on my 296 order. My dealer has a demo with the racing seats which supposedly provide more room. I haven't been able to visit to see and test drive yet. Lets see how that works out.

· Registered
267 Posts
Are your P1 seats touring size? the P1seats are essential in my view in a 675 and if you are having comfort issues then find a touring size P1 seat and sit in it. I could drive my 675 all day without any comfort issues and I have P1-touring

Ive drank the kool aid of Mclaren and currently have an all Mclaren garage. A 2022 765 LT Spider and just added a 2016 675 LT with a roof scoop. My journey has taken me from owning a bunch of Porsches (now all sold expect for Taycan daily driver which will be sold soon) and several Ferraris (also sold). And as we wait for my new house to be built - scheduled completion April 2024 where I will have the ability to park/display up to 12 cars, this is all im going to be adding to the garage at the moment. 750 in the future but likely that will come once house is done.

With regards to the all mclaren garage, this is not to say I wont ever buy another Ferrari- I enjoy the power and prestige and history of Ferrari but at the current moment I did not find any Ferraris that I enjoyed enough to add over my two current cars. The SF90 too big, too heavy and hearing lots of issues. I sold my Pista and while it was a brilliant vehicle, the aluminum chasis and body roll left a lot to be desired. Roma/Portifino I have no interest in. I do have a deposit on a 296 and will probably add that in a few years but need to do more research before final decision. Their limited edition cars are brilliant (TDF, Monza etc) but basically unobtainable.

With regards to Porsche- Im just done with the brand. The arrogance of the dealers, the need to kiss an idiot sales persons ass to get a 500 hp sports car, the ridiculous 50-100k ADMS which the Porsche fanboys just lap up, the taking the same basic car, adding some paint and trim and calling it a special edition- just not worth it to me. A new GT3 RS is selling for 300k and dealers are asking 150k ADM and they laugh at you when you. question selling above MSRP. The whole brand currently is just polluted. Its a shame cause they do make some decent cars but the entire Porsche ecosystem-They suck. Im done.

This leaves me with Mclaren. Ever since I got my first 720 Ive fallen in love with the cars. the way they look, the way they drive, the carbon tub. The carbon tub is the magic sauce- it makes the car feel so stiff and connected. Its wonderful.

After my 720, I was able to secure an allocation for a 765 Spider which IMHO is the best car Ive ever owned. Its magical. And ofcourse every Mclaren owner that I spoke to who has been in the Mclaren eco system and has a bunch of the hypercard (P1, Senna, Elva etc) would speak so highly of the 675 that I had to have one. So last week I finalized the deal on a 2016 LT. Originally I was going to just get a regular coupe but changed my mind and switched to a more rare 1 or 18 factory original in the US roof scoop version.

Below are my initial thoughts after about 100 or so miles in the last few days. All of this I will speak relative to the 765 as there have been many questions that Ive seen asking to compare the two.

Power - Winner 765 hands down with regards to having more power. While the 675 is no slouch, 765 just will outgun the 675 no issues. However, thats not necessarily a good thing. The 675 while having less power, its more drivable. The 765 is just scary fast if you push the pedal all the way down. the 675 is fast as hell, but more manageable. There is plenty of power in the 675 and while the 765 has more, I would say in terms of driving- both are great but different in how they deliver the power.

Comfort - I have the P1 seats in the 675 and frankly whoever designed these should be shot. I hate these seats. My 765 has the Senna seats and while its a bit more difficult to get in and out of the Senna seats- once you are in them they are super comfortable. The P1 seats are just super narrow so not only difficult ot get in and out of, but tight when you are seated. Ill be looking out for some alternatives later likely as I hate the P1 seats. I asked to get a couple of seats ordered and was quoted 28k from MSO. Umm- no. Will find a salvaged 650 and just pull the seats if I can find the right ones. Or some 720 comfort seats. Regardless- comfort seats are the way to go but from an esthetic perspective, Senna looks the best, then P1.

Handling - Man this is a wash. Both are just so connected to the road. Both amazing. So tight- no body roll. My Pista used to sit like a 4x4 from the factory - I had to get novitec springs and lower the car a bit but it still have body roll compared to my Mclarens. Both 765 and 675 just wonderful in how connected they are.

Visibility - Since my 765 is a spider- if I have the rear wing down, I have better visibility. But if I put the rear wing up- I cant see out the back. The 675 you have decent visibility but not great. Its pretty tight cocoon in there. Snug in a good way. I would give the edge to 765.

Build quality - No issues on either one so far. I would say build quality is excellent on both.

Esthetics - totally subjective and while I think the 765 is one of the best looking cars out there- 675 with the roof scoop is no slouch. You decide.

Sound- I think I have to give this to the 675. Probably because of the roof scoop. Probably because of the coupe vs spider. 720 I think the weak point was the sound. they fixed that in the 765 but 675 to me sounds more visceral and raw.

In the end- both amazing wonderful cars, I would say long terms keepers for me most likely and Im enjoying tremendously my Mclaren journey. It helps to have a good dealership and team. They have been very supportive. Lets see where this journey takes me.

View attachment 227633
View attachment 227634

· Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Are your P1 seats touring size? the P1seats are essential in my view in a 675 and if you are having comfort issues then find a touring size P1 seat and sit in it. I could drive my 675 all day without any comfort issues and I have P1-touring
They are the more narrow version. 2 inches more narrow than what @fastmd has.

· Registered
2,602 Posts
They are the more narrow version. 2 inches more narrow than what @fastmd has.
If it’s really a problem and affecting your comfort level then I’d consider swapping out the drivers seat with your passenger 765 seat (I’m pretty sure you can swap passenger with driver seat in manual seats ).

it might look awkward but I’ve seen cars with bucket seats for driver and passenger seat has a comfort seat . This would be the most cost effective and quick solution ….

note; I had a senna seat in 765 coupe and comfort seat in passenger (my dealer threw in a senna seat as part of the purchase on that particular car )

· Registered
6,132 Posts
If it’s really a problem and affecting your comfort level then I’d consider swapping out the drivers seat with your passenger 765 seat (I’m pretty sure you can swap passenger with driver seat in manual seats ).

it might look awkward but I’ve seen cars with bucket seats for driver and passenger seat has a comfort seat . This would be the most cost effective and quick solution ….

note; I had a senna seat in 765 coupe and comfort seat in passenger (my dealer threw in a senna seat as part of the purchase on that particular car )
This is not possible unless you also swap over the occupancy sensor which the driver's seat doesn't have. I've been wondering about putting the comfort seat back on the passenger side.

· Registered
331 Posts
I had the standard size P1 seats in my 720s and really hated them. I'm on the tall but skinny side but stiull found them so narrow that my hips got numb after like 30 minutes of driving. I tested a P1 Touring seat and found them a bit better but still unbearable for long drives. Have Senna seats in my 765lt and just love them.

· Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·

it will look odd cause the colors are completely off. I have a blue interior on the 765 and orange accents in the 675. I can live it it. Getting more and more used to it. in the interim, will try to find a solution in the short term. But considering I dropped 30 pounds the last few months certainly helps. lol. Comfort seats are the way to go - if I find a pair, ill swap. But not in the mood to pay the 28k that I was quoted by MSO. Its not that big of a deal.

· Owner
1,288 Posts
it will look odd cause the colors are completely off. I have a blue interior on the 765 and orange accents in the 675. I can live it it. Getting more and more used to it. in the interim, will try to find a solution in the short term. But considering I dropped 30 pounds the last few months certainly helps. lol. Comfort seats are the way to go - if I find a pair, ill swap. But not in the mood to pay the 28k that I was quoted by MSO. Its not that big of a deal.
Did you call AZ Cycle Parts. They may have a set of seats.

· Owner
1,288 Posts
Ask and ye shall receive! There are a bunch on ebay...

The red set looks in the best shape. Any of them can be redone to match the 765.

· Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Ask and ye shall receive! There are a bunch on ebay...

The red set looks in the best shape. Any of them can be redone to match the 765.

I saw these. I need to find one that matches better. To redo the alcantara to proper colors, the quote was 10k. So essentially 15k for a set of new seats. I dont like the P1 seats but for 15k, not sure its worth it. Will continue to keep an eye out.

· Owner
1,288 Posts
I saw these. I need to find one that matches better. To redo the alcantara to proper colors, the quote was 10k. So essentially 15k for a set of new seats. I dont like the P1 seats but for 15k, not sure its worth it. Will continue to keep an eye out.
Who quoted $10K to recover in Alcantara?

· Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
I have (we all have) heard amazing things about the 675 and after almost 2 months of ownership, I wanted to offer a comparison of the Mclarens Ive owned (own), focusing on the 675. Of the 3 Ive owned (720, 765, 675) I currently only own the 765, having traded the 720 for the 765.

The 720 does everything well. Its a great daily, ride is smooth. If I was to get one today (or spec the replacement as its a non limited edition) Id go for the comfort seats, carpet on the sills and minimal to no carbon. Id keep the price low and drive the snot out of it as its a great daily, take the wife out for dinner car. Tons of power, sound not the best relatively speaking but I personally never had an issue with it. All in all awesome all around car that pretty much does everything well. Right now around 250-275k for a used model - this is the bargain of the century in the supercar world. For driving around town- this car cant be beat. Really for many things, this car cant be beat.

The 765 does everything the 720 does but better. More power, more raw (this may not necessarily be a positive based on your personal use case) better sound. My 765 is equipped with carbon sills and Senna seats. While the whole look is amazing, with the carbon sills, you have to be more careful getting in and out so you dont scratch them. The Senna seats while super comfortable once you are in, arent the easiest to get in and out of. The power is unmatched in anything Ive been in. I took my buddy from a stoplight the other day - he was in his SF90. I think he was shocked that I beat him. The looks, the stance- everything is just perfect on this car. Is it "better" than the 720? Well- again, depends on use case. For a daily driver? For a date car? Not so much with the Senna seats. But from a driving perspective, Ill take a 765 over a 720 (and most other cars) any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

This brings me to the 675. I had heard rave reviews about the 675 from pretty much everyone that has owned one. Most of the P1 guys still have their 675s and its a car that they wont sell. Its universally acknowledged as an amazing car.

Is it actually an amazing car or is it a bunch of hype? Well, yes. Its raw, its loud, its engaging. The steering is just spectacular. Its tight, you feel connected to the road. The carbon tub makes a huge difference compared to a non carbon car. So yes, I would unequivocally say that it is an amazing car. Its a 2016 and car still looks like its from the future. Very well designed car from an esthetic point of view.

The one thing that has spoiled me though is the 765 power compared to 675, The 765 just pulls and pulls where the 675 has a bit more turbo lag. If you take it in the mountains and twisties as well as the track- the car is ideally suited for that. If you are using it to tool around town- the 675 is probably not the best car for that particular use case. One the rpms get up, and you start cranking the downshifts and start taking corners, the car is just amazing.

Is it perfect? Well- here are a couple of things that I dont like about my 675- quirks that Im getting used to.
  1. P1 seats. Ive written about this earlier- im getting used to them but they are not my favorite. I have the narrow version which for my 6'4" frame is not ideal. Will probably not swap them out due to the hassle and cost but the narrow P1 seats just suck. Comfort seats would be awesome. I like the Senna seats much more. But reality is after a few months, Im just used to it and not as big of a deal as it was originally.
  2. Turning radius- Jesus- this is really horrible. Im used to it now but most u-turns are 3 point turns. Im shocked how bad this is in the 675. lol
  3. Car sits a bit low- not a huge deal- just have to use the lift more but stance and everything is proper- just takes a bit getting used to compared to the others.
  4. Power- Now this is a tough one. There is plenty of power in this car. Minus the slight turbo lag at low rpms, not sure you need any more. But if you drive the 765 and how it pulls, that just spoils you. Its just so much more powerful. Cant really blame the 675 for that and chalk it up as a negative but regardless I felt it should be mentioned. There are times where I think an ideal Mclaren garage would be a 765 spider specced like mine (all carbon interior, Senna seats) and then a coupe with comfort seats and carbon sills for more daily use, driving around the wife.
The 675 for me personally however is not going anywhere and will be a long term keeper. Im really enjoying the car. The roof scoop one is 1of 18 originals produced and it really adds a nice flare to the car. Would I buy a non roof scoop car? I think if I had to rank it, it would be roof scoop first, spider second, coupe 3rd. This is interesting as I almost bought a non scoop coupe. I dont think I would have enjoyed it as much.

So that begs the question- which is the best car? Honestly and Im sure no one wants to hear this- depends.

765 is just the goat and frankly there is no comparison to the others- but is it worth the several 100k premium? For me, yes. For others, maybe not.

But the real question is would you get a 720 or a 675? Again depends on your use case but a case could be made for either one. Tooling around town I think the 720 is a better choice. On the track or longer mountain drives- I think the 675 is the winner there (maybe).

At the end of the day, Im really enjoying my Mclaren journey. The cars they put out are fantastic and my recommendation is to drive each car you are contemplating buying. They are different and unique and each serves a different purpose.

I hope this was helpful.

81 - 100 of 108 Posts