McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i had to track the car last weekend and all i have to say is WOW! the car is very at home on the track and makes you feel like andretti!! lol
couple questions: what TP should i run with pilot super sports on the track? one of my lug nuts came loose, how many lbs on torque wrench should be applied? also on parking brake i followed directions but everytime i close the door it seems to engage again? (maybe im doing something wrong)
to the guys who have some track time, is there anything else i need to do to prepare. im going again in 2 weeks. im officially addicted!!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Congrats or should I say Good Luck. Getting hooked on track days is quite fun yet quite an exercise in mental frustration.

TQ setting: The consensus is 95-96 Lbs.

Regarding any else: How old is your brake fluid? I flush mine more often when I track the cars, otherwise once a year.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Regarding the hand brake,i find while the engine is running have her in neutral with your foot on the brake,then turn off the engine and hold down the handbrake,keeping it held down as you open the door.Then you can close the door and lock it without the handbrake coming on.
Thanks for the picture also.:)

·
Registered
219 Posts
so did the MP4 last on the track without any problems? i read on rennlist that it can only last 1 session. they didn't expound on it so i'd like to get feedback from an owner.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Was that the brakes that only lasted one session?? If so they could only have used the standard car as the CC brakes would last all day and the car has never overheated as far as im aware,unless the track temperatures were overly high.Last year on the first 12c trackday in the UK (on one of the few warm days that year) everyone ran 20 min sessions from 9am to 5 pm with no real issues,at the end of the sessions some of the harder used standard brakes were getting long on the peddle,but never un-safe,and the cc could have run untill they ran out of juice :)

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
I have done 6 full on track days in my car as well as a McLaren driver day. The car is epic…..so much mechanical grip. Just had to replace the CCB pads and tyres. First time.

The optimum TP in my view is 29F and 32 rears, just keep adjusting until they settle at this pressure, they will then sit at this all day. Don’t forget a cooing down lap for the CCB,

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I have done 6 full on track days in my car as well as a McLaren driver day. The car is epic…..so much mechanical grip. Just had to replace the CCB pads and tyres. First time.

The optimum TP in my view is 29F and 32 rears, just keep adjusting until they settle at this pressure, they will then sit at this all day. Don’t forget a cooing down lap for the CCB,

Sounds like your having fun. Great drivers car no doubt.

At my last track day with Mclaren, with several Works drivers in attendance, they said leave your tyres at standard pressure. This was at Castle Coombe which, I believe, is considered a fast track although they have put in two chicanes to reduce speeds. I was surprised as I expected to drop the pressures.

Were you surprised that the CB's needed replacement? I was quoted £6000 for the disc replacement......does this sound correct as it seems carbon discs are reducing in cost as they become more widely used???

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
No, not at all. In fact if I had not been lazy and stuck to the cooling laps, I am sure that the pads would not have needed replacing. The discs were fine and showed no sign of any un due were, I have done over 33k on a 997tt with CCB about 25-30 track days in that time. The discs did not require replacing. (Only pads) I would expect the 12C CCB discs to perform the same……… if not better.

With regard to track tyre pressures, If you leave them at factory setting they will soon run hot, I always drop down to 23F , 25R, with 6 or so hot laps that are back up to factory pressure , were they stay at all day

·
Registered
691 Posts
Entire day of pounding the car at Willow and iron brakes were fine the entire time (a couple of sessions went 20 laps or so). Sure - you could get them to stink/smoke a bit, but there was no fade whatsoever... By the time the brand-new Corsas were long gone, there was still no difference in braking...

·
Registered
691 Posts
As for tire pressures - depends on which tire you have and the track conditions (and the track itself). There is no simple answer for this question - you have to play around with it on the day. Trackside, tires/pressures are always 90% (or more) of the conversation going on. It's THE issue.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thx guys, yeah the car is flawless on the track!
i also have iron brakes and they were spot on all day.
im going to run 29F and 32R next week and see how the car feels.
thx guys

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thats why i bought the new super sport tires. they are very sticky for street tires.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
20x9fr 20x12Rr Cor Forged 1piece wheels.
i think the factory wheels look a little small on the car, so this filled up the wheel well perfectly w/o sacrificing ride quality.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts