McLaren Life banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This weekend I was lucky enough to get a ride in a 2013 Mclaren MP4-12C spider. All I have to say it wow.

It was my first time seeing the spider in person, when it pulled up I was in a loss of words. Pictures do zero justice for this car. I've read alot of times how the Mclaren isn't as striking as a Ferrari or Lamborghini but I highly disagree.

I've always been told "Never drive your dream car because you will be let down" (well in this case ride), I've read and watched videos about the Mclaren and I admit I did build it up in my mind to be this amazing supercar and let me tell you it did not disappoint. A huge complaint I kept seeing over and over again was there was not enough noise, no excitement. This made plenty of noise and there was plenty of excitement. I couldn't get enough of hearing the wastegates and the engine sound. And the excitement, never ending. What a rocket ship! I've been lucky enough to have driven plenty of fast cars but this was in a different league.

I attached a few pictures of it with a quick video my girlfriend took as I drove off. Now the saving has begun for this machine, thanks for reading.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZRQ8UkABCs

Attachments

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
You've got that right though JonA85 this car is a real treat to drive, every time I go out for a ride I always come back with a huge grin on my face. You've got to love it. Cheers....??

·
Registered
29 Posts
Jon,

Thanks for the post. We all enjoy these types posts! Glad you commented on the waste gates - hearing the turbos spool up and then the waste gates blowing off is a real treat that I never tire of and something I never experienced in my 911 Turbos.

I am convinced that 90+% of the posters who complain about the 12C exhaust sound have never been near one and have only heard it on a You Tube video. A couple of little computer speakers can't come close to reproducing what the car sounds like, much less the turbos spooling up and waste gates blowing off. Took a sound meter with me in my spider the other day and idling at a stop light with the top up and windows down got a 85 db reading next to my ear on the A Scale, which is the one pertinent to hearing. The C Scale would have read much higher due to capturing more low frequency energy. The US Navy defines 85 db as the threshold, over which long term hearing damage begins. Do we really want it louder? Not me. I always liked the high pitched screech of my Ferrari's, but as a practical matter around town you are limited in the enjoyment of it, plus it gets tiresome. The 12C on the other hand provides a good deal broader range of delightful sounds that can be enjoyed much more around town at reasonable rpm's and I have yet to tire of it in the least.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts