McLaren Life banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been in love with the MP4 for quite a while now. In part 1, I went for an amazing ride.

http://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/mclaren-mp4-12c/2405-my-mclaren-mp4-experience.html

Now I've been lucky enough to get the keys and to experience DRIVING the MP4 myself.,,,,,I've always wanted to experience being in a F-18 Hornet being shot down the runway off an aircraft carrier and when I give the MP4 gas that is what I would imagine it would be. I've always read and heard how fast this thing is but nothing could have prepared me for this. I really thought I was going to go back to the future when accelerating. And after I left off the gas I had the same expression Matt Farah did after he did his first blast in the Venom GT.

(Fast forward to 4:40 if you forgot)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hDDBN_pIUQ

The Mclaren was set in "sport" mode for both settings and I didn't change the settings nor did I need to. This thing was everything I imagine it would have been and more. It rides so comfortable, no rattles or squeaks. It sounds amazing, yeah its no 458 but WHO CARES. Driving on the highway you would think you were driving a Veyron, the amount of attention this thing gets is funny. Every single car that drove by looked out the window in aw like they were seeing a human walk on water. I thought the Gallardo spider I rented got alot of attention, that couldn't hold a candle to this.

The ONLY few things I could find wrong was 1. The brakes, I couldn't get use them. 2. The paddle shifts were heavy and you would really have to pull on them to change gears. 3. I can't afford one :(

I have been very lucky enough to have driven many cars, but this IMO is in its own league. Now to go play the powerball.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Jon, did you rent it out for the day or do you happen to have a friend that has great taste in cars and is generous with the keys? Being you're in Mass, if you did rent it out for the day, mind sharing where from? If you were handed the keys by a friend, can I hang out with you guys (jk)? :D

-nh4.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
I'm guessing you drove a 2012 with the old pre-cog style shifting? The gear shift in the 2013 Spider I drove (bought and am taking delivery of it next week) is nice and light and clickety-click fast on gear changes. I think that was one of the bigger changes they made to the newer cars. I've only driven with the carbon ceramic brakes and had no issues getting used to them with them at all in the 2 hours I drove on them.

·
Professional Bum
252 Posts
The only thing you can take with you is your memories and experiences. You made both! And now you can really talk intelligently about the 12c (not that you haven't). So many comment without ever driving the darn thing. Had I drive one 2 years ago, I'd have bought one 2 years earlier! Its not all about the performance figures and mag reviews. Maybe you can sweet talk your local dealer or local 12c owner and get a invite to a Mac track day... That will really turn a frown up side down!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jon, did you rent it out for the day or do you happen to have a friend that has great taste in cars and is generous with the keys? Being you're in Mass, if you did rent it out for the day, mind sharing where from? If you were handed the keys by a friend, can I hang out with you guys (jk)? :D

-nh4.
I had a very kind friend who let me take it for a quick spin.

The only thing you can take with you is your memories and experiences. You made both! And now you can really talk intelligently about the 12c (not that you haven't). So many comment without ever driving the darn thing. Had I drive one 2 years ago, I'd have bought one 2 years earlier! Its not all about the performance figures and mag reviews. Maybe you can sweet talk your local dealer or local 12c owner and get a invite to a Mac track day... That will really turn a frown up side down!
The memories and experience will last a life time and I feel very lucky enough to have had them and to share with other enthusiast. My friend who owns this said he will not track it as he has other toys for the track.

·
Registered
310 Posts
What is it with the brakes? I think they're spot on! Amazing that they can haul you down from 200+ MPH yet still work smoothly at town speeds. Coming from a V10 R8 they're a huuge improvement, that did feel over-braked at low speeds!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What is it with the brakes? I think they're spot on! Amazing that they can haul you down from 200+ MPH yet still work smoothly at town speeds. Coming from a V10 R8 they're a huuge improvement, that did feel over-braked at low speeds!
For me the brake pedal felt heavy and was difficult to make a smooth/steady stop.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts