McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gang,

I wanted to report back after buying my 13 Mp4-12C a few weeks back. Quick history of the car...one owner, 5900 miles, fully serviced at dimmitt in tampa bay.

I was told that McLaren is a very unreliable brand before purchasing this vehicle. I was told to specifically avoid the 12C. Having owned many many fast cars over the years (but never anything exotic) I knew better than to trust the internet or people who have never owned one in the first place. Furthermore I have broken many of my fast cars over the years. Sometimes I was lucky enough to be under warranty and sometimes I wasnt. Case in point was a c6z06 I purchased with low miles that ended up spitting a rod through it's block. 20k in damage (needed a new motor) with no warranty. However, buying a 12C was a different ballgame as parts were 20 times more expensive and in some cases impossible to get without long waits.

So I came to this forum for advice and got excellent advice. Many of you were very happy with little to no issues and some of you had issues but were still happy and a very few of you had lots of issues and hated your experience. Pretty much exactly like any other car forum out there. Hell some of the biggest whiners on earth are on the subaru outback forum (my daily driver). Doesnt get much more reliable than a subaru outback!!!

At the price range I was going into (110-130k) I had lots of really cool/fast options. Used gallardo's, r8 v10's, viper acr and a brand spanking new Zr1. 750hp and full warranty...hmmmm. haha. Then I sort of stumbled onto the 12C. I was intrigued from the beginning. A 300K car with little to no miles for 115k??? A car that can still beat nearly anything on the road even though it's 7 years old? A car that turns heads much more so than anything else I can think of??? hmmm again! lol.

At the time I was driving a 2018 E63 AMG S with renntech tune as my daily and a 16 GTS AMG with renntech tune was my weekend toy. I loved both of those cars very much and they both had warranty even with the tunes (my MB dealer actually sells the tunes). The GTS got lots of attention anywhere I went and the E63 was the exact opposite, heck I even had a women in a c300 ask me how I like my c300 when she saw the e63...lol. I was happy with both cars though and didnt really consider trading anything in or getting anything new...not until our new illinois governor passed a law that only allowed up to 10k tax credit on a trade in.

My plan was to get an exotic this spring or maybe summer but when that law got passed it put me into a position to truly think things over. If I didnt play my cards right I could lose 15-20K in tax credit after Jan 1.

And I am glad I did. There was a local 12C at a great price. It seemed like all the cards had fallen into place. Same dealer I purchased the GTS from. The dealer was highly motivated to sell it as winter was setting in (early november in northern illinois). After negotiation trade in on both my AMG cars for several days we got a deal done. I was pleasantly surprised to find out my 12C had fabspeed exhaust with 200 cell cats and a custom tune. It made 641WHP on a mustang dyno. It also had a passport radar professionally installed. Pretty much exactly what I would have done to the car anyways without spending another 15k...lol.

The first time I drove the car I knew I would love it. The sound was better than anything I have ever had and the car was way more comfortable than I expected. Great visibility from the front end. I loved all the modes. The power is nothing short of incredible. Feels like a very low 10 second car maybe even high 9's on tire. High 130 trap speed. Perfect for the street imo. The handling is on rails. Way more predictable than my c7z06 and much lighter than my gts. The gts handled great as well though. Just a different feel due to the heavy weight of it.

Yesterday I hit 6400ish miles in it. I have been blessed with decent mid 40 degree weather on and off since I bought it. Today in the low 50's. Tomorrow in the low 50's. After that the cover goes back on and into hibernation mode she goes!

Car is beyond my expectations. Just an incredible experience so far.

Any quirks or issues yet? Yes, but nothing I would actually complain about. Bluetooth connectivity to my pandora can be a bit of a battle sometimes. If I put my hand on the passenger seat to set anything down I get a warning from the dash that my passenger doesnt have a seat belt on...lol. I do have the headlight issue which will be addressed this winter with bumper removal DIY sticky on this forum. I do wish the car had a backup camera...not sure if that can be retrofitted or not but I have young kids so I do prefer having one. Thats my list of issues/quirks and thats with me really digging deep. The performance of this car makes those little niggles pretty much a non-issue.

So, that's my experience so far on my first exotic car. I took the plunge into the cold dark mclaren waters and havent drowned yet! lololol. I truly hope this car stays reliable as it has been, it is an absolute blast to drive.

Thanks for all the help with it so far! Couple pics from yesterday...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Awesome! I just got mine last month, got it back from Dimmit this week w/ new accumulators and new michelin's and wow is it mind blowing!! Have yet to figure out how to play Pandora with IRIS??? May look into tune soon...

BTW, Former Army pilot here... Need to get my Disabled Vet plates put on ASAP lol

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome! I just got mine last month, got it back from Dimmit this week w/ new accumulators and new michelin's and wow is it mind blowing!! Have yet to figure out how to play Pandora with IRIS??? May look into tune soon...

BTW, Former Army pilot here... Need to get my Disabled Vet plates put on ASAP lol
I plug my phone directly into the USB slot in the center storage console. Then select media (your phone should be a selectable option). Seems to work pretty good.

Yes, those DisVet plates are really important when you get pulled over going 160mph...trust me! lolololol.

·
Registered
248 Posts
drive the heck out of it now.the 2012' had some teething problems but this was all sorted out on the 13' and good thing you took all the internet mumbo jumbo with a grain of salt.
once sorted out,they are fantastic cars.

except for iris that is.works well enough but .... an occasional reboot always helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the post, beautiful car. I have owned my 2013 12C now for a month, it was also a locally owned car that a friend of mine had. He now as a new 650.
Love the 12C !

·
Registered
13 Posts
If it’s a 13 I assume it has iris 2 and with that they did offer backup cameras, even on the 2012’s when they Upgraded to iris 2. I believe I’ve read it was $2500 for it from the dealer

·
Registered
567 Posts
If it’s a 13 I assume it has iris 2 and with that they did offer backup cameras, even on the 2012’s when they Upgraded to iris 2. I believe I’ve read it was $2500 for it from the dealer
Sounds about right - a reasonable price with a zero added 😱

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds about right - a reasonable price with a zero added 😱
lol...yep, i just bought a really nice jvc dvd/backup camera combo for $165 bucks off of Amazon. Installed it on my subaru in a few hours.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I believe that is with dealer installing it too. They also have to load the app on to the iris
Is there no way of getting an aftermarket unit into the car? I would assume the wiring is all connected to other stuff a well? Just curious if anyone has done that.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The resolution on the Iris is also pretty bad so it's a lot of money for a factory backup camera. A good shop can install a hi res rear view mirror kit for probably a 3rd of the price. I just put one in my daughters car for less than 400 and a few hours of work.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The resolution on the Iris is also pretty bad so it's a lot of money for a factory backup camera. A good shop can install a hi res rear view mirror kit for probably a 3rd of the price. I just put one in my daughters car for less than 400 and a few hours of work.
This is a great idea!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Iris 2 was done on my car prior to purchase.
it should have a back up cam then.if not,see if you have the app.if so,plug and play,or ask dealer to update software and install oem camera.
the in-mirror camera is also a good alternative.the oem is slow to boot up sometimes and lags a bit at night.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, I don’t even see that option on my home screen. So I don’t think mine got the camera update.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts