McLaren Life banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I cross posted this on Lambo-Talk but wanted to get some other viewpoints. A few weeks ago I contemplated the idea of possibly upgrading my LP570 SL to an Aventador SV. In my quest to find out more I decided to rent a 2014 Aventador w/ Kreissig exhaust to give me some idea what the SV might be like, and for kicks a 720S as well that also had an aftermarket exhaust. Having my LP570 Superleggera to reference off of, which is supercharged with a Meissershaft exhaust btw, here were my observations comparing the SL and Avent and 720S. Keep in mind my time with the two rentals was short and I didn't have a chance to play with all the settings, and my memory might already be getting fuzzy even though it was yesterday ha!

AVENTADOR
  • Aventador felt more plush. In some ways more like a GT car. The seats were comfortable, visibility what I expected...didn't find it terrible, overall ergonomics were good.
  • The steering felt more vague and not as responsive or direct when compared to the SL and 720S. Definitely felt like the heavier car of the 3 which is no shocker.
  • Sound deadening seems more prevalent in the Aventador. Inside the cabin the exhaust note seemed more muted. Outside the car I know it's LOUD but inside I was surprised it wasn't more of an aural assault on the senses. I was shocked to find out that the SL and 720S were clear winners here for inside the cabin sound and drama.
  • The suspension was nice and compliant. I don't recall feeling nearly the bumps and jitters in every road surface as the 720S and SL.
  • The V12 roar is what attracted me to this car. Outside the car it sounds awesome, above 5k rpm it screeches but I feel outside observers get to enjoy it more than the actual occupants.
  • The car rips. I feel like once the rpms get to 5000rpm + you feel that surge all the way to redline and it just keeps pulling after that. I know the 720S is faster but at these power levels the sensation of speed is hard to distinguish...everything is a blur. It's enough power to put a smile on your face every time.
  • The e-gear is smoother than in the SL? I admit I only had it in Sport and never Corsa (doh!), but I don't recall feeling those violent shifts like I do in the SL. I know Corse makes a big difference though. I actually like that clunky more mechanical feel. But overall it was engaging and no disappointments here or enough time to really judge.
720S
  • I kept hearing this car, while blistering fast, lacked emotion and is too easy to drive, but I didn't find that the case at all! The chassis was stiff and suspension jarring at times. I felt every crevice and bump in the road and felt more like what I am used to in the SL. I didn't play with the suspension settings but the dial was on S, but with the sport bucket seats it felt like a track oriented car rather than an everyday supercar.
  • The steering was fantastic of course. Very direct and responsive
  • The sound...wow, this was the biggest shocker to me after reading from many how dull it sounds. Maybe stock it does, but with an exhaust the 720s is more than acceptable in the sound department. It is LOUD. My friend drove past me at WOT while I was in the Avent and made my ears ring. It also has a higher pitched tone than I imagined and was more exotic sounding than I expected. Is it as good as the V12, no not quite, but it was much better than I expected for a V8 biturbo and I could live with that.
  • Inside the cabin sound was more of a rush in the 720S. You hear everything from the shriek of the exhaust, the turbos, road noise. More drama in this regard. Hard to give a clear winner here between the 720S and my SL.
  • The dual clutch is great, what I expected. We all already know all these new cars shift blistering fast. I did like the paddles, how they rock back and forth together.
  • The car is fast, insanely fast. This one also had a tune. I didn't test it's limits and always eased into the throttle, but from what I'm hearing, if this car grips and hooks when getting onto the gas hard then wow! But the reality is, when comparing these three cars with 700+ hp, they all give me that same speed sensation. Everything becomes a blur at that point. Seat of pants is hard to distinguish, you simply know you're moving.
After this test drive I have to say I came to appreciate my 570 SL even more. I'm almost afraid to say this, but I feel like I get more of that Lambo drama in my car than the Aventador. The cabin noise, suspension, the way the car handles, everything just more raw. I know that's not what everyone likes and the Aventador might feel like a big upgrade in this regard, but that was my observation. The 720S felt more like the natural transition from a SL. Also, if the doors are important, Mclaren wins!

Which leads me to the SV. Is the SV a much more raw driving experience than the Aventador? Anyone who's driven any of the cars here can compare how the SV feels by contrast? It would be disappointing for me to trade in my SL which I love, plus $200k+ for a car that doesn't tick all the boxes. Sure it may turn more heads but I'm not spending $200k+ for that reason alone lol! Whereas on the other hand, for a little more I could keep the SL and add a preowned 720S. But admittedly, I liked the idea of possibly jumping to the next tier of supercar with the SV, which I hold in higher regard in terms of exclusivity than the 720s. I did find the 720s beautiful though in Paris Blue. Definitely a head turner as well and certainly exotic looking. Bottom line, I hadn't really considered the 720S but after driving one I was in awe.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Well I cannot answer directly on the SV, as I have not had one of those. But here is where I can compare a few that are similar.

If you take the Huracan and the Aventador as one example and the Ferrari 458 and Ferrari F12 is like comparing your 570 SL with the Aventador (any variant or in this case - SV) - they are really 2 different cars for 2 different purposes really. I could not compare the Hurcan with the Aventador, nor really the 458 with the F12 I had. Both the 458 and Huracan are more tossable smaller go carts compared to the Aventador and F12. For overall fun to get in and drive I would say I enjoyed the Huracan and 458 more than the F12 and Aventador, in that they were more nimble, smaller, less of an event. Now that is not to say I did not enjoy the bigger brothers, I did but for different reasons. They are more of an "event" to drive, much bigger physically, more exclusive, more power, more noise, more exotic and rarer, still trackable- but not their stronger suit, more of a treat and GT of a car. Still having ridiculous speed, etc. But not as nimble, or sporty. I can't say I liked one better than the other, but they are just different.

That leads me to my 720s. Honestly it is like 2 wrapped into one (which I have not found on any other car I have owned to date.) It is light and nimble, fast and also an event to drive. So it almost for me is a 2 for 1. Sporty, Nimble, tossable, but also mature, comfortable, and an event to drive and witness (for spectators).

The only other car that I think is a 2 for 1 for a different reason is my current and past porsche 911's. In that they are great daily drivers, and are quick enough and sporty to still be fun and not get bored with using them every day. But I daily drive the 911 and use the 720s and the other cars in the past I mentioned as more my weekend fun, track, event cars.

If I had to pick a car today I would go with either a Huracan Performante spyder (Which I got a chance to drive a buddies, just a nice step up from my Huracan 610-4 spyder) or the 720s (I have the coupe) but would take either the coupe or Spyder. But with that said, I bought the 720s, and couldn't be happier, and probably will keep it until something that meets the 2 for 1 criteria again.

FWIW - I did love the 458 still looks great imo - it is just a little dated (interior) and slower. The F12 was a beast, and one of the best looking Ferrari V12s outside the 1960s variations. But that car was one of the most dangerous cars I have ever driven (top 3). It absolutely could not put the power down properly, and you were just 1/2 throttle away from death in the first 4 gears. but calm if you didn't push it. (I imagine the dodge demon to be similar, but I have not driven one of those).

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I cross posted this on Lambo-Talk but wanted to get some other viewpoints. A few weeks ago I contemplated the idea of possibly upgrading my LP570 SL to an Aventador SV. In my quest to find out more I decided to rent a 2014 Aventador w/ Kreissig exhaust to give me some idea what the SV might be like, and for kicks a 720S as well that also had an aftermarket exhaust. Having my LP570 Superleggera to reference off of, which is supercharged with a Meissershaft exhaust btw, here were my observations comparing the SL and Avent and 720S. Keep in mind my time with the two rentals was short and I didn't have a chance to play with all the settings, and my memory might already be getting fuzzy even though it was yesterday ha!

AVENTADOR
  • Aventador felt more plush. In some ways more like a GT car. The seats were comfortable, visibility what I expected...didn't find it terrible, overall ergonomics were good.
  • The steering felt more vague and not as responsive or direct when compared to the SL and 720S. Definitely felt like the heavier car of the 3 which is no shocker.
  • Sound deadening seems more prevalent in the Aventador. Inside the cabin the exhaust note seemed more muted. Outside the car I know it's LOUD but inside I was surprised it wasn't more of an aural assault on the senses. I was shocked to find out that the SL and 720S were clear winners here for inside the cabin sound and drama.
  • The suspension was nice and compliant. I don't recall feeling nearly the bumps and jitters in every road surface as the 720S and SL.
  • The V12 roar is what attracted me to this car. Outside the car it sounds awesome, above 5k rpm it screeches but I feel outside observers get to enjoy it more than the actual occupants.
  • The car rips. I feel like once the rpms get to 5000rpm + you feel that surge all the way to redline and it just keeps pulling after that. I know the 720S is faster but at these power levels the sensation of speed is hard to distinguish...everything is a blur. It's enough power to put a smile on your face every time.
  • The e-gear is smoother than in the SL? I admit I only had it in Sport and never Corsa (doh!), but I don't recall feeling those violent shifts like I do in the SL. I know Corse makes a big difference though. I actually like that clunky more mechanical feel. But overall it was engaging and no disappointments here or enough time to really judge.
720S
  • I kept hearing this car, while blistering fast, lacked emotion and is too easy to drive, but I didn't find that the case at all! The chassis was stiff and suspension jarring at times. I felt every crevice and bump in the road and felt more like what I am used to in the SL. I didn't play with the suspension settings but the dial was on S, but with the sport bucket seats it felt like a track oriented car rather than an everyday supercar.
  • The steering was fantastic of course. Very direct and responsive
  • The sound...wow, this was the biggest shocker to me after reading from many how dull it sounds. Maybe stock it does, but with an exhaust the 720s is more than acceptable in the sound department. It is LOUD. My friend drove past me at WOT while I was in the Avent and made my ears ring. It also has a higher pitched tone than I imagined and was more exotic sounding than I expected. Is it as good as the V12, no not quite, but it was much better than I expected for a V8 biturbo and I could live with that.
  • Inside the cabin sound was more of a rush in the 720S. You hear everything from the shriek of the exhaust, the turbos, road noise. More drama in this regard. Hard to give a clear winner here between the 720S and my SL.
  • The dual clutch is great, what I expected. We all already know all these new cars shift blistering fast. I did like the paddles, how they rock back and forth together.
  • The car is fast, insanely fast. This one also had a tune. I didn't test it's limits and always eased into the throttle, but from what I'm hearing, if this car grips and hooks when getting onto the gas hard then wow! But the reality is, when comparing these three cars with 700+ hp, they all give me that same speed sensation. Everything becomes a blur at that point. Seat of pants is hard to distinguish, you simply know you're moving.
After this test drive I have to say I came to appreciate my 570 SL even more. I'm almost afraid to say this, but I feel like I get more of that Lambo drama in my car than the Aventador. The cabin noise, suspension, the way the car handles, everything just more raw. I know that's not what everyone likes and the Aventador might feel like a big upgrade in this regard, but that was my observation. The 720S felt more like the natural transition from a SL. Also, if the doors are important, Mclaren wins!

Which leads me to the SV. Is the SV a much more raw driving experience than the Aventador? Anyone who's driven any of the cars here can compare how the SV feels by contrast? It would be disappointing for me to trade in my SL which I love, plus $200k+ for a car that doesn't tick all the boxes. Sure it may turn more heads but I'm not spending $200k+ for that reason alone lol! Whereas on the other hand, for a little more I could keep the SL and add a preowned 720S. But admittedly, I liked the idea of possibly jumping to the next tier of supercar with the SV, which I hold in higher regard in terms of exclusivity than the 720s. I did find the 720s beautiful though in Paris Blue. Definitely a head turner as well and certainly exotic looking.

not sure if an 720s is less exclusive than an Aventador SV ... you have to remember that the 720s is the base car and there are far fewer around, than Aventadors (not SVs or SVJs) ... however from a technological point the 720s even as the base version is far more advanced than the Aventador SV which is a soon to be replaced base design of 2011 (before any McLaren besides the F1 was even made) which may now just get one/two more final versions before going out of production ... I also don't feel that an Aventador with real car enthusiast has anything over a 720 beside maybe the more brutish look/while with the 720s you get more of a spaceship ... if you look for attention the Aventador certainly wins but I am not sure that is a good thing ... Many will tell you that the general reactions to a 720s are far more positive than to an Aventador (which maybe also has some weight in the decision )

2,598 Posts
I have owned both and driven an SV extensively. From a lookers perspective the SV is fantastic, Lamborghini set the Bad Boy standard for other exotics to follow a long time ago, hence all the posters on teenagers walls across the globe, myself included when I was a kid!
That was the Diablo VT back in the day...HaHa!

The 720S, it’s simply on another level, performance and drivability(huge difference), looks, well Amazing. That now only leaves one thing, what tickles your fancy?

Again, I’ve owned both and the Aventador is a big girl, in all flavors including the SV. I still think she’s sexy though and just love those lines, what can I say.

One thing I do admire that the Lambo(s) have kept and that is the Sound! You simply cannot get the sound or should I say Scream of a naturally aspirated 10 or 12 cylinder on a Turbo based power plant.

However, what’s in my garage.....a 720S Spider, and it’s going to be there for a some time to come.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you take the Huracan and the Aventador as one example and the Ferrari 458 and Ferrari F12 is like comparing your 570 SL with the Aventador (any variant or in this case - SV) - they are really 2 different cars for 2 different purposes really. I could not compare the Hurcan with the Aventador, nor really the 458 with the F12 I had. Both the 458 and Huracan are more tossable smaller go carts compared to the Aventador and F12. For overall fun to get in and drive I would say I enjoyed the Huracan and 458 more than the F12 and Aventador, in that they were more nimble, smaller, less of an event. Now that is not to say I did not enjoy the bigger brothers, I did but for different reasons. They are more of an "event" to drive, much bigger physically, more exclusive, more power, more noise, more exotic and rarer, still trackable- but not their stronger suit, more of a treat and GT of a car. Still having ridiculous speed, etc. But not as nimble, or sporty. I can't say I liked one better than the other, but they are just different.
Thanks for your thoughts. Yes I guess I just didn't picture the Aventador necessarily in that light, although I've read numerous times alluding to that fact, after I've experienced it I can finally understand where everyone is coming from. I was looking at possibly taking that next step for an even bigger "event" with the V12 Lambo, and aside from the appearance and wow factor with the doors and all that, from a pure driving perspective the older SL and the 720S felt more eventful. Not to say I didn't enjoy my time in the car, but different strokes and all that. The F12 I've always found beautiful and another car with intoxicating sound. Though from your remarks it sounds like that might not be quite what I'm after either.

not sure if an 720s is less exclusive than an Aventador SV ... you have to remember that the 720s is the base car and there are far fewer around, than Aventadors (not SVs or SVJs) ... however from a technological point the 720s even as the base version is far more advanced than the Aventador SV which is a soon to be replaced base design of 2011 (before any McLaren besides the F1 was even made) which may now just get one/two more final versions before going out of production ... I also don't feel that an Aventador with real car enthusiast has anything over a 720 beside maybe the more brutish look/while with the 720s you get more of a spaceship ... if you look for attention the Aventador certainly wins but I am not sure that is a good thing ... Many will tell you that the general reactions to a 720s are far more positive than to an Aventador (which maybe also has some weight in the decision )
With regards to the base Aventadors, I would pick 720S hands down from my short stint with both. I honestly wouldn't even trade my SL for the base Aventador as I'd rather keep that extra cash in my pocket. Just thinking out loud here, but my draw towards the SV is the N/A V12, 600 made, the SV packages gives it a much improved look interior and exterior, and if it's anything like the LP670 SV which are pretty rare and exclusive now and with current prices reflecting that, I think the Aventador SV will eventually follow the same trend. I just don't see that with Mclaren unfortunately, not even with their LT series with current data. Also, and I know we sometimes put too much emphasis on Nurburgring times, but the sub 7 min lap time if nothing else, tells me this is a seriously capable car.

But I agree with all your points on the 720S. Actually spending some time with one I really did get to appreciate the car. It does look fantastic and edges itself over the Aventador, against the SV I'm torn, though the 720s is very spaceship as you say....I do like that.

I have owned both and driven an SV extensively. From a lookers perspective the SV is fantastic, Lamborghini set the Bad Boy standard for other exotics to follow a long time ago, hence all the posters on teenagers walls across the globe, myself included when I was a kid!
That was the Diablo VT back in the day...HaHa!

The 720S, it’s simply on another level, performance and drivability(huge difference), looks, well Amazing. That now only leaves one thing, what tickles your fancy?

Again, I’ve owned both and the Aventador is a big girl, in all flavors including the SV. I still think she’s sexy though and just love those lines, what can I say.

One thing I do admire that the Lambo(s) have kept and that is the Sound! You simply cannot get the sound or should I say Scream of a naturally aspirated 10 or 12 cylinder on a Turbo based power plant.

However, what’s in my garage.....a 720S Spider, and it’s going to be there for a some time to come.
Going back to the sound, I can't remember which exhaust they had on the 720S but it sounded amazing! I didn't expect that on a turbo car, it had a shriek to it that I didn't expect.

With regards to the SV, is the experience much more different than the Aventador? Some might think I'm crazy but I like hearing all the mechanical noises, feeling every pebble on the road, the brutal shifts from the single clutch, less cabin insulation so you can really hear the engine.

With all that said, the 720S certainly tickled my fancy and if it weren't for the few looming questions over the SV I think the choice would be clear!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Thanks for your thoughts. Yes I guess I just didn't picture the Aventador necessarily in that light, although I've read numerous times alluding to that fact, after I've experienced it I can finally understand where everyone is coming from. I was looking at possibly taking that next step for an even bigger "event" with the V12 Lambo, and aside from the appearance and wow factor with the doors and all that, from a pure driving perspective the older SL and the 720S felt more eventful. Not to say I didn't enjoy my time in the car, but different strokes and all that. The F12 I've always found beautiful and another car with intoxicating sound. Though from your remarks it sounds like that might not be quite what I'm after either.

With regards to the base Aventadors, I would pick 720S hands down from my short stint with both. I honestly wouldn't even trade my SL for the base Aventador as I'd rather keep that extra cash in my pocket. Just thinking out loud here, but my draw towards the SV is the N/A V12, 600 made, the SV packages gives it a much improved look interior and exterior, and if it's anything like the LP670 SV which are pretty rare and exclusive now and with current prices reflecting that, I think the Aventador SV will eventually follow the same trend. I just don't see that with Mclaren unfortunately, not even with their LT series with current data. Also, and I know we sometimes put too much emphasis on Nurburgring times, but the sub 7 min lap time if nothing else, tells me this is a seriously capable car.

But I agree with all your points on the 720S. Actually spending some time with one I really did get to appreciate the car. It does look fantastic and edges itself over the Aventador, against the SV I'm torn, though the 720s is very spaceship as you say....I do like that.

Going back to the sound, I can't remember which exhaust they had on the 720S but it sounded amazing! I didn't expect that on a turbo car, it had a shriek to it that I didn't expect.

With regards to the SV, is the experience much more different than the Aventador? Some might think I'm crazy but I like hearing all the mechanical noises, feeling every pebble on the road, the brutal shifts from the single clutch, less cabin insulation so you can really hear the engine.

With all that said, the 720S certainly tickled my fancy and if it weren't for the few looming questions over the SV I think the choice would be clear!

Well they made more than 10.000 Aventadors and of the special versions at least about 3.000 SVJ SVJ Roadster, SV SV Roadster, 50th Anniv etc vs 5500 720s so far... there will be many more specials if they really push the V12 replacement back to 2024 (was in the news sometime ago) ...

the 6:59 lap time is very doubtful - first it was a works lap in development (during a Pirelli tire development session) ... the car only made 2 laps with these tires and no one really know what was on there ... plus of course its a factory car and driver ... the only official times for the McLaren 720s that exist for the NS are magazine laps with a sort of run down press car that was used by about every magazine in Europe and was on Corsas ... that was a 7:08 by a reporter/ semi professional driver vs the best driver Lambo has ... on every other circuit the 720s is way ahead of the SV and many ppl who own both tell the same ...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well they made more than 10.000 Aventadors and of the special versions at least about 3.000 SVJ SVJ Roadster, SV SV Roadster, 50th Anniv etc vs 5500 720s so far... there will be many more specials if they really push the V12 replacement back to 2024 (was in the news sometime ago) ...

the 6:59 lap time is very doubtful - first it was a works lap in development (during a Pirelli tire development session) ... the car only made 2 laps with these tires and no one really know what was on there ... plus of course its a factory car and driver ... the only official times for the McLaren 720s that exist for the NS are magazine laps with a sort of run down press car that was used by about every magazine in Europe and was on Corsas ... that was a 7:08 by a reporter/ semi professional driver vs the best driver Lambo has ... on every other circuit the 720s is way ahead of the SV and many ppl who own both tell the same ...
Yeah I know Lambo likes to crank out all the special editions, many of them just slapping on new stickers and giving it a special name. Porsche likes to do this too but I think people really only pay attention to the RS models as being truly unique, akin to the SV and now SVJ. I also read the V12 replacement is pushed back but as long as they don't produce an SVJ R or something then maybe it's not necessarily a bad thing.

But yeah I'm not trying to pit the SV and 720s against each other in terms of Nurburgring times as you're right, you have to take these times with a grain of salt as conditions, setup can create a huge variance. I'm just merely pointing out the fact that the SV must be a very capable car if it can achieve anywhere close to the 7 min mark...not just all show anyway! But in any real world scenario that I would be using the car for, the 720S is unquestionably faster.

But with all that said, after watching several more reviews on both cars, the 720s is such a cool machine. I'm going to take it out again to get another feel for it as truth be told that is the car tugging at me more. And actually the 765LT might even been an option if I wanted something even more exclusive...just afraid to take that new Mclaren hit!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Yeah I know Lambo likes to crank out all the special editions, many of them just slapping on new stickers and giving it a special name. Porsche likes to do this too but I think people really only pay attention to the RS models as being truly unique, akin to the SV and now SVJ. I also read the V12 replacement is pushed back but as long as they don't produce an SVJ R or something then maybe it's not necessarily a bad thing.

But yeah I'm not trying to pit the SV and 720s against each other in terms of Nurburgring times as you're right, you have to take these times with a grain of salt as conditions, setup can create a huge variance. I'm just merely pointing out the fact that the SV must be a very capable car if it can achieve anywhere close to the 7 min mark...not just all show anyway! But in any real world scenario that I would be using the car for, the 720S is unquestionably faster.

But with all that said, after watching several more reviews on both cars, the 720s is such a cool machine. I'm going to take it out again to get another feel for it as truth be told that is the car tugging at me more. And actually the 765LT might even been an option if I wanted something even more exclusive...just afraid to take that new Mclaren hit!
there will near certainly be a kind of SVJ R (and I don't mean the track car) - I already read rumors about a year ago that the SVJ wont be the most hardcore version of the Aventador ...

About the LT (not sure you would still get an allocation right now) demand in the US seems to still be high even with the current crisis ... however seeing the 675LT its near certain that at some point one can have good deals on a sightly used 765LT too ( I don't think that will be within the next 12months, more in like 18-24 months)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
there will near certainly be a kind of SVJ R (and I don't mean the track car) - I already read rumors about a year ago that the SVJ wont be the most hardcore version of the Aventador ...

About the LT (not sure you would still get an allocation right now) demand in the US seems to still be high even with the current crisis ... however seeing the 675LT its near certain that at some point one can have good deals on a sightly used 765LT too ( I don't think that will be within the next 12months, more in like 18-24 months)
So there will likely be a more hardcore SVJ...interesting.

I actually inquired about the 765LT today and to my surprise I could have an opportunity at a build slot (but possible hoops to jump through), but truly not sure if I want to go down that road. As you pointed out, I thought the 675LT would do better than it has and I agree with your assessment, a lightly used 765LT in 18-24 months time can probably be had for good deal less. Struggling with the idea of speccing out my own though, as I have grown to love the debut car with the Nardo Orange. Not sure how many of that color will be available on the 2nd hand market.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts