McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchase certified pre owned, I will not say at what dealer at the moment. 2020 1600 miles that turned out to have numerous problems not detected during their inspection process before we purchased. Two of those issues in the engine bay. One being a hose clamp was missing and rubber melted against another hot hose. Dropped melted rubber about and the valve cover apparently were leaking oil. Either way it caught fire.

question is this a dealer issue or manufacturing? I say it’s the dealers fault but my friend says otherwise.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
What is the proper fix or compensation from dealer or manufacture in this case. ?? I would like to know if you think this after only three weeks should be ripped apart fixed and handed back, or are we due a new car? Your thoughts are much appreciated, it will take full engine out, full interior, full electrical wire loom replacement to even start to fix it . No paint was damaged. I had given him a mini extinguisher that he used to put out the flames

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
dang sorry to hear what color car?

who knows depending on price to repair and extent of damage maybe they will want to do something besides repair

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Purchase certified pre owned, I will not say at what dealer at the moment. 2020 1600 miles that turned out to have numerous problems not detected during their inspection process before we purchased. Two of those issues in the engine bay. One being a hose clamp was missing and rubber melted against another hot hose. Dropped melted rubber about and the valve cover apparently were leaking oil. Either way it caught fire.

question is this a dealer issue or manufacturing? I say it’s the dealers fault but my friend says otherwise.
Sounds like a dealer issue to me - they didn't inspect it as they should have. I'd be looking for a full, and immediate, refund.

·
Premium Member
2012 "Swipe" 12C
818 Posts
Regardless of who is at fault (Manufacturer Defect or Dealer Negligence), This is an insurance claim for sure.

Make the Insurance claim and let the insurance company chase down either the Dealer or McLaren... my bet is the insurance company writes you a check asap, and they don't bother with either of the two above.

Sorry for your loss! The good news is there are lots of 600LT's available, so a replacement should not be too hard to find.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Regardless of who is at fault (Manufacturer Defect or Dealer Negligence), This is an insurance claim for sure.

Make the Insurance claim and let the insurance company chase down either the Dealer or McLaren... my bet is the insurance company writes you a check asap, and they don't bother with either of the two above.

Sorry for your loss! The good news is there are lots of 600LT's available, so a replacement should not be too hard to find.
This. File a claim through you auto insurance carrier. They will pay the claim and then go after either McLaren or the dealer to recoup their payout to you. Let the insurance company do all the legwork dealing with finding out WHO is responsible for the fire.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What’s sad is this was my second 600lt purchase in two weeks. I bought myself a Segestria Borealis for myself and loved it so much, I helped my friend get his the following weekend. It just really put a hamper in my Mclaren experience, I won’t drive mine until I inspect it myself. And the entire thing has been just shy of a nightmare. The dealer is already saying it’s not their fault , they did everything right, and it’s a corporate issue. Ummmm I don’t think so. But that for the uppers to sort thru. I want to know the details because I put half million dollars into two cars at a single dealer. We should be able to trust the certification inspection process at a dealer of this caliber. Otherwise I could have just bought it not certified thru craigslist or any other non authorized mclaren dealer. The fact this slipped thru their inspection process clearly shows me they didn’t even bother to look at it. The front bumper was haggerd, repainted poorly, chipped fogged, aweful. I saw it like wtf is this. They suddenly offered to replace or repair it. On the way home the glass cracked, the front emblem was falling off. Vinyl wrap pieces everywhere. Steering wheel center cover alcantara messed up. Side tint which is illegal in California, hose clamp failure, leaking valve covers. Duck me, really, my child could have seen this, how on earth did this pass a certified inspection process. Just baffled

·
Registered
318 Posts
Sounds like an issue with one of their tech's. It's possible they have a very good service department but 1 tech is not up to par either training wise or pure effort put into the inspection. Many shops like the ones I have worked in are flat rate and pay by the job and not by the hour for the mechanics. Some tend to rush to make more money or the time the job pays is not reasonable. I have seen similar issues with corvette's at my prior workplace but as you state, you paid a premium for this car.

Very unfortunate. I'm sure you would have loved the brand without these early experiences. It's going to take a while for you to trust McLaren if you are still willing to give it a shot.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
What’s sad is this was my second 600lt purchase in two weeks. I bought myself a Segestria Borealis for myself and loved it so much, I helped my friend get his the following weekend. It just really put a hamper in my Mclaren experience, I won’t drive mine until I inspect it myself. And the entire thing has been just shy of a nightmare. The dealer is already saying it’s not their fault , they did everything right, and it’s a corporate issue. Ummmm I don’t think so. But that for the uppers to sort thru. I want to know the details because I put half million dollars into two cars at a single dealer. We should be able to trust the certification inspection process at a dealer of this caliber. Otherwise I could have just bought it not certified thru craigslist or any other non authorized mclaren dealer. The fact this slipped thru their inspection process clearly shows me they didn’t even bother to look at it. The front bumper was haggerd, repainted poorly, chipped fogged, aweful. I saw it like wtf is this. They suddenly offered to replace or repair it. On the way home the glass cracked, the front emblem was falling off. Vinyl wrap pieces everywhere. Steering wheel center cover alcantara messed up. Side tint which is illegal in California, hose clamp failure, leaking valve covers. Duck me, really, my child could have seen this, how on earth did this pass a certified inspection process. Just baffled
Why don't you just follow the process... Go through your insurance company like I'm sure you already have.

NO ONE is going to be able to help you on this forum (doubt you are even looking for help anyways). It just looks like you are setting up a good old internet rant and trying to get your money back on a car or get a discount on your already delivered car.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why don't you just follow the process... Go through your insurance company like I'm sure you already have.

NO ONE is going to be able to help you on this forum (doubt you are even looking for help anyways). It just looks like you are setting up a good old internet rant and trying to get your money back on a car or get a discount on your already delivered car.
That exactly what we are doing. But I am utilizing this forum to get other opinion and thought on the matter. I mean that’s what this is all about right Andy. Don’t be such a douche bag

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Get money back or discount ?! Really? Lol. Oh man you are something. Trying to start an internet rant. That’s ex ah rly why I deleted you from my IG. You are a tool Andy! No I am not looking for a discount, no I am not wanting my money back. Trust me I can afford what I buy. Dum dum dum

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
not trying to pick a fight
i do find it curious that dumping half a million and you didn't inspect the car too
The front bumper was haggerd, repainted poorly, chipped fogged, aweful. I saw it like wtf is this. They suddenly offered to replace or repair it. On the way home the glass cracked, the front emblem was falling off
why not refuse the car at this point?
take the car back?
I mean, no body should have a car that melts hoses and leaks oil especially right after purchasing an inspected cpo car.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wow 2020 1600 miles and chipped . And the windscreen that’s bad . After only 3 weeks you should just be able rejected the car for a full refund .
just waiting on finance approval on my 600 lt and this as certainly put me off at the moment reading this
What’s the issues with the windscreens ? I’ve heard a few stories about them cracking

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Wow 2020 1600 miles and chipped . And the windscreen that’s bad . After only 3 weeks you should just be able rejected the car for a full refund .
just waiting on finance approval on my 600 lt and this as certainly put me off at the moment reading this
What’s the issues with the windscreens ? I’ve heard a few stories about them cracking
If this thread puts you off, maybe you should read some positive threads to put you back on.
I lol

·
Registered
29 Posts
I I love the car just the odd unlucky one now and again I suppose as long as it’s had a good check over beforehand it will be fine

·
Registered
148 Posts
Sorry to hear about your 600LT experience, that's no fun at all. However, it doesn't make all Mclaren bad cars. Just like with all vehicle manufactures, 99% of cars will be good and unfortunately you will occasionally get that 1% that is bad. 17,000 + HARD miles on my 2018 570s and the car is bulletproof. Yeah the car gets loose rattles from time to time especially with their carbon tubs, but nothing some tools and Loctite can't fix. If you want a car that is perfect, buy a Honda Civic haha those things will never have a problem. Mclarens are race cars though, so the tolerances of the car are quite a bit different than your average vehicle. If I would have driven my Gallardo, Viper, or M6 as hard as I do my 570, they would have disintegrated lol. To be honest, there's going to be no way to know if it was the manufacturer or dealer that messed up. You should post on here who the dealer was that did the inspection so forum members on here can be aware though. Bottom line is, that Mclaren is not going to give you a new car if it was pre owned end of story. Yes they can do an inspection and certify it, but at the end of the day it is still a pre owned vehicle. If it was a brand new vehicle off the assembly line that caught fire after owning it for a couple weeks, then of course Mclaren would give you a new car. But unfortunately not on a pre owned one even being certified. Just let your insurance company handle this, will save you a lot of headaches in the long run. Or if you want to go the very hard route, get a lawyer and go after the dealer and Mclaren. In that case, will take months and lots of $$, and most likely not come out in your favor since the car was pre owned. File a claim with insurance, let them pay you right away, and call it a day.

Reactions: TheRoggan and slm

·
Registered
2019 McLaren 600LT Chicane Effect
155 Posts
Yeah, actually had mine crack the first time I drove it hard. Has to do with the extra thin windshield, the type of sealant they use and stress concentration going to the lower corners of the windshield. If there is any microscopic defect in the glass in that area the glass will absorb all of the energy and that energy will be released though. cracking at that defect. Not a big deal as it's covered under warranty, and a 570 windshield (thicker) or a more pliant seal will both help prevent this from occurring. That said, even with out that issue, the extra thin windshield (done to save weight) is very fragile and will be prone to cracking and chipping that a normal windshield would shrug off. While they do additional treatments to help strengthen the thinner windshields, there is only so much they can do with current technology. FYI, this is an issue with any car currently out there with 1.6mm windshields (instead of the standard 2.1mm), no matter who the manufacturer is.

·
Registered
2019 McLaren 600LT Chicane Effect
155 Posts
What is the proper fix or compensation from dealer or manufacture in this case. ?? I would like to know if you think this after only three weeks should be ripped apart fixed and handed back, or are we due a new car? Your thoughts are much appreciated, it will take full engine out, full interior, full electrical wire loom replacement to even start to fix it . No paint was damaged. I had given him a mini extinguisher that he used to put out the flames
In all honesty, it is likely going to be a Manufacturer issue instead a dealer issue in regards to money. That said, the manufacturer may revisit that particular dealership and make their own assessment of the facility/training/quality control. As other said, our insurance will be dealing with them, so you might never know the final outcome of what happens. As far as the fire, it's going to depend on the damage that occurred, and where. Unlike flood damage, total fire damage can more easily be determined and as long as it doesn't pass a certain threshold can easily be fixed. Even flood damage, if the car is worth enough, the insurance might want fix as well if they can (e.g. the Bugatti that took a fraudulent swan dive in TX was one they would have. fixed if they could have). That said, I wouldn't want one that had fire damage as the heat can adversely affect the life of many of the electrical components, age hoses, etc that isn't easily detected. If insurance is going to fix it, make sure the repair facility is up to the task and quotes based on replacing many parts and making sure any CF/Rubber/Electronics in the vicinity is examined and replaced if there is any question.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts