McLaren Life banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Carbon back is just a cover, standard seats, my car has them too.
I love the physical properties and look of CF, but to be used as a cover just does not make any sense what so ever. Well I thank god I didn't order those for my car, additional cost with no weight savings what so ever I'd be totally pissed off, they do look good though. Cheers....??

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I love the physical properties and look of CF, but to be used as a cover just does not make any sense what so ever. Well I thank god I didn't order those for my car, additional cost with no weight savings what so ever I'd be totally pissed off, they do look good though. Cheers....??
look amazing... make more sense on spider

·
Registered
367 Posts
Lightweight is a nice way of saying standard. CF should structural, not cosmetic. It looks great though. Are they comfy? I regret getting electric seats that I never adjust.

·
Owner
893 Posts
Lightweight is a nice way of saying standard. CF should structural, not cosmetic. It looks great though. Are they comfy? I regret getting electric seats that I never adjust.
:)Everyone is entitled to get what they like, however ....
CF .... It's a plastic coated carbon-cloth. When used as trim ... A decoration of sorts.:rolleyes: Happily for the auto manufacturers, a lot of people buy into the hype; the same with the Alcantara fad ...... what is Alcantara ?? A textured polyester fabric. I could see if it were genuine suede !! I always drop into Burberry and asked for a polyester suit.:D
P.S. Ergo..... You're right, most never use the power adjust after it's set, but I can adjust my manual seat in just one second, those motorized ones are painfully slow.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
:)Everyone is entitled to get what they like, however ....
CF .... It's a plastic coated carbon-cloth. When used as trim ... A decoration of sorts.:rolleyes: Happily for the auto manufacturers, a lot of people buy into the hype; the same with the Alcantara fad ...... what is Alcantara ?? A textured polyester fabric. I could see if it were genuine suede !! I always drop into Burberry and asked for a polyester suit.:D
P.S. Ergo..... You're right, most never use the power adjust after it's set, but I can adjust my manual seat in just one second, those motorized ones are painfully slow.
Suede is not as durable as Alcantara, and will fade horribly with exposure to sun.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Alcantara was invented by a junior chemist accidentally spilling goop on a pancake griddle in the 70s. It doesn't fare much better than suede vs sun or physical wear. Saw a bad example on a 360 challlenge that no doubt spent most of it's life indoors. I'll still take it over faux wood or overpriced CFRP but let's be real.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I like the look of alcantara. All the best interiors I've ever seen on cars used a mix of leather and alcantara. Just creates a nice contrast. I think it also looks better than leather when it comes to patterns. For example, I think Q-cit-whatever looks terrible on a Lamborghini with leather, but really nice with alcantara. Leather always appear too bubbly in patterns imo.

Whether or not it is as durable isn't a concern since I don't think I'd keep any car long enough to see that happen.

Another bonus is that if it's on the seats, it doesn't get super hot in the summer.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Owner
277 Posts
I like the look of alcantara. All the best interiors I've ever seen on cars used a mix of leather and alcantara. Just creates a nice contrast. I think it also looks better than leather when it comes to patterns. For example, I think Q-cit-whatever looks terrible on a Lamborghini with leather, but really nice with alcantara. Leather always appear too bubbly in patterns imo.

Whether or not it is as durable isn't a concern since I don't think I'd keep any car long enough to see that happen.

Another bonus is that if it's on the seats, it doesn't get super hot in the summer.
And it holds you in place in turns, leather lets you slip in the seat.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts