McLaren Life banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the MPC today to see my car on the production line. Very special to see it being made and talk to the guys working on it. When I arrived it was at the station where all the fluids are added and we waited whilst it moved to the next station where the car is started for the very first time. They invited me to perform the honours!

It will be complete by end of next week and then is off to MSO for some more work so should be delivered later on in June. They wouldn't allow me to take any photos but did provide a photographer from Customer Relations so will need to wait until they send through the photos before I can post any here.

The P1 production line is currently being installed on the side nearest the paint shop and will be operational in 2 weeks. Saw some P1 body shells being painted back in the MTC. Jenson was there today in the F1 simulator and his pit crew were working hard at practising pit stops in the practice bay. Saw a 1.9sec.

Overall, a great experience. McLaren really do this stuff very very well.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
It is a special experience and, as you say, well done to high standards.

Some years ago I was visiting the newly opened Rover factory.....my memory says the whole thing cost £25m in the late 70's......and I started to talk to a line operator when we were interrupted by a booming voice ' don't you talk to that f.....ing white collar p...ck. Tell him to f..ck himself back to his office' ( It was the shop steward, one of Red Robbo's mates).

I was there as a supplier to sort out a fitment problem with the rubber door seal......ie to help the line operator. Times have changed.

You started your car on the line.....wow.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
It is a special experience and, as you say, well done to high standards.

Some years ago I was visiting the newly opened Rover factory.....my memory says the whole thing cost £25m in the late 70's......and I started to talk to a line operator when we were interrupted by a booming voice ' don't you talk to that f.....ing white collar p...ck. Tell him to f..ck himself back to his office' ( It was the shop steward, one of Red Robbo's mates).

I was there as a supplier to sort out a fitment problem with the rubber door seal......ie to help the line operator. Times have changed.

You started your car on the line.....wow.
I always wondered why we don't have a world class mass car industry anymore:rolleyes:

Great experience Pete,it is a memorable day out,everyone should do it:)

·
Administrator
2,698 Posts
Went to the MPC today to see my car on the production line. Very special to see it being made and talk to the guys working on it. When I arrived it was at the station where all the fluids are added and we waited whilst it moved to the next station where the car is started for the very first time. They invited me to perform the honours!

It will be complete by end of next week and then is off to MSO for some more work so should be delivered later on in June. They wouldn't allow me to take any photos but did provide a photographer from Customer Relations so will need to wait until they send through the photos before I can post any here.

The P1 production line is currently being installed on the side nearest the paint shop and will be operational in 2 weeks. Saw some P1 body shells being painted back in the MTC. Jenson was there today in the F1 simulator and his pit crew were working hard at practising pit stops in the practice bay. Saw a 1.9sec.

Overall, a great experience. McLaren really do this stuff very very well.
What a great experience,

So far we really are impressed with our 12C Spider.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Great experience Pete. I need to ask you, how many days into production was the car in when you visited. I was told that my car will be started on 9th of July and I was given either the 10th or 16th to go visit. I'm not sure which date to pick. Any help on this one would be great.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great experience Pete. I need to ask you, how many days into production was the car in when you visited. I was told that my car will be started on 9th of July and I was given either the 10th or 16th to go visit. I'm not sure which date to pick. Any help on this one would be great.
Not sure exactly how many days in mine was but the car was around two-thirds complete. I'd choose the 16th as there will be more of the car to see.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Not sure exactly how many days in mine was but the car was around two-thirds complete. I'd choose the 16th as there will be more of the car to see.
Thanks a lot Pete. Will do.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Pete those pictures are great. Thanks for sharing. Any idea how many cars are completed each day? I just purchased a white spider with MO calipers and the same interior! I've saved your pictures. Now I have to figure out how to photoshop the steering wheel to the proper side:cool:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Very nice pics Pete. Just as a follow up I went on the 16th to visit the factory and my car was coming off the line that day so the timing was perfect.

Cheers

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
Now I have to figure out how to photoshop the steering wheel to the proper side:cool:
That was kind of easy, but there's at least one element in the photo that gives the game away which I can't easily fix and you won't get very far without it. ;)

>8^)
ER

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
That was kind of easy, but there's at least one element in the photo that gives the game away which I can't easily fix and you won't get very far without it. ;)

>8^)
ER
Am I that dense? I realize its the same photo flipped in the other direction, but I can't seem to figure the rest out. Hope it's not obvious.

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
Well the tachometer is backwards now which is not totally obvious. It's the lack of a gas pedal which should be visible in the footwell near the center console (in a proper LHD car viewed from this angle) which would make it tough to enjoy your car. ;)

>8^)
ER

1 - 14 of 14 Posts