McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got my car today, and here are some thoughts after 50 miles:

Power handling and ride are amazing, controls are easy to change on the fly.
Throttle response is much improved, great low end response and torque.
Steering feel is awesome.
Carbon ceramic brakes are awesome.
Car stays amazing flat is quick corners, no body roll.
Visibility is great out front and when changing lanes.

Love the looks, especially in McLaren Orange.
Interior is stunning.
Colored seat stitching should be standard to match the dash.
Doors were tricky to open, so I watched McLaren Philly's Youtube training.
Got in car, closed door and window would not roll up, easy fix, did not close door hard enough.
Not happy my car was described as fully upgraded, but paddles are the older pre-cog style, which I understand now, but still want the newer paddles, with the lighter feel.
Aero mode reduces rearward visability, but makes the car look better.
When I pull into my garage, and pull the left paddle for a few seconds to engage neutral, the car's idle drops very low, almost feels like it is going to stall.
When you come to a stop, car does not automatically shift down very quickly, come to a dead stop, there is a delay before it selects 1st gear. Too much IMO.

Do not like the location of the power seat controls, need to activate the auto entry exit feature, sure it's in the main menu, as it is tough to carefully get in without touching the seat bolster.
Love the climate control location, heater works great.
Blu-tooth works great, regarding phone.
Looking for the Ipod cable, was not in center console. :(
Stereo is above average, still playing around with sound settings, reduced bass and increased treble, and moved fader forward a bit.
Volume nob should be able to be used for other functions, quick scrolling, etc.
Volume sensitivity is way too low, have to turn it up past 70 to get any decent volume level.
Scan tuning is insanely slow, and you cannot hold the button down.
Seek works fine, was fairly easy to save my presets quickly.
Cannot see how to do Blue-Tooth audio streaming?
Should have come with a dead pedal, even rubber would be fine.
Aluminum area surrounding gauges should be carbon if carbon interior is optioned.
Center console is too small, cannot lay Ipod flat inside, too narrow.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Great write up, you need to double check with McLaren on a couple of the complaints you have as they can be taken care of regarding the Audio system. Also agree about the Power Seat Control, it is in a bad place, but you should be able to pull the left stock and it will move the seat getting in and out. Use an I Phone connector in the center console for your Music, quick fix, car does not come with this, but you probably have an extra one. I agree with some of your interior criticisms. Regarding the Transmission this seems to be a software fix, mine is much better since V10 and has none of these issues.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great write up, you need to double check with McLaren on a couple of the complaints you have as they can be taken care of regarding the Audio system. Also agree about the Power Seat Control, it is in a bad place, but you should be able to pull the left stock and it will move the seat getting in and out. Use an I Phone connector in the center console for your Music, quick fix, car does not come with this, but you probably have an extra one. I agree with some of your interior criticisms. Regarding the Transmission this seems to be a software fix, mine is much better since V10 and has none of these issues.
What is the left "stock" you are referring to?

My car has already been upgraded to the highest version, even the brand new Nav. Upgrade, regarding software. I have heard from another recent new owner that McLaren is backordered on some of the hardware updates, maybe this is why my paddles have not been changed?

·
Registered
418 Posts
What is the left "stock" you are referring to?

My car has already been upgraded to the highest version, even the brand new Nav. Upgrade, regarding software. I have heard from another recent new owner that McLaren is backordered on some of the hardware updates, maybe this is why my paddles have not been changed?
Mark, the back order that could be on your paddles, I am not sure. The left stalk that handles the information controls on the steering wheel for resetting things, changing induction sound noises, checking tyre pressures, etc. That also allows you to ease entry and exit on the car, when you set it and pull back on it getting in and out.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Unless im mistaken Mark its only the software of the paddles that are changed,everyone that i am aware of still has the original paddles that the car comes with,but the newer cars dont have the pre-cog?? Maybe im confused as the old grey cells have not been too good for a couple of weeks:eek:

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unless im mistaken Mark its only the software of the paddles that are changed,everyone that i am aware of still has the original paddles that the car comes with,but the newer cars dont have the pre-cog?? Maybe im confused as the old grey cells have not been too good for a couple of weeks:eek:
Andy, the car I drove at Exotic Racing Las Vegas had the newer paddles, shift feel is just like a Ferrari. My understanding from a post I read here a few months ago is that you get this change with version 10?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mark, the back order that could be on your paddles, I am not sure. The left stalk that handles the information controls on the steering wheel for resetting things, changing induction sound noises, checking tyre pressures, etc. That also allows you to ease entry and exit on the car, when you set it and pull back on it getting in and out.
Do you still have the older pre-cog paddles or the newer one's? Exotic Racing's car was upgraded at MNB too.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Andy, the car I drove at Exotic Racing Las Vegas had the newer paddles, shift feel is just like a Ferrari. My understanding from a post I read here a few months ago is that you get this change with version 10?
The shift change on platform 10.2 is only software.The lighter paddles without pre.cog are a physical change that comes on newer cars,they dont change the mechanicals on the paddles on 10.2,best just check with the US dealer if its any different there:confused:

·
Registered
418 Posts
Do you still have the older pre-cog paddles or the newer one's? Exotic Racing's car was upgraded at MNB too.
Mark, mine was a newer car and had the Un Pre Cog Paddles. I believe you may have to have more than a Software Change in order to get this.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mark, mine was a newer car and had the Un Pre Cog Paddles. I believe you may have to have more than a Software Change in order to get this.
Just got off the phone with Alessandro, he said it comes with a completely new steering wheel. He is checking into for me.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Can somebody explain what these pre cog paddles are?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Original pre-cog paddles has a higher tension spring, so it takes more effort to get to the switch for the actually gear change, so while holding the tension before getting to the switch the transmission 'pre-cog' the gear. The newer paddles don't, it pretty much just go straight to the switch.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Ok than. I guess I have it. The first one I drove one reaaly had to squeze for the gear shift and on my it's a soft click.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Just got off the phone with Alessandro, he said it comes with a completely new steering wheel. He is checking into for me.
Hey Mark just a heads up, if the outcome concerning your steering wheel is not to favorable I may be selling mine. So let me know via PM and I will provide you with all the details. Cheers....??

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Original pre-cog paddles has a higher tension spring, so it takes more effort to get to the switch for the actually gear change, so while holding the tension before getting to the switch the transmission 'pre-cog' the gear. The newer paddles don't, it pretty much just go straight to the switch.
Almost. The Pre-Cog paddles actually have a detent, similar to the auto-focus detent on a high-end camera. That's how you know that you have Pre-Cog selected. Then the shift is like pulling the trigger on a rifle. I find it equally utterly hilarious that people can't figure it out and that McLaren actually thought they would! :)

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Mark just a heads up, if the outcome concerning your steering wheel is not to favorable I may be selling mine. So let me know via PM and I will provide you with all the details. Cheers....����
PM me what you want for it, and after Alessandro lets me know, I will decide.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
p.s. once you get about 10,000 km or who knows how many shifts, the spring tension on the paddles works in and decreases significantly. Ironic but true.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
p.s. once you get about 10,000 km or who knows how many shifts, the spring tension on the paddles works in and decreases significantly. Ironic but true.
I doesn't matter, I have them figured out, just not happy they are not changed with the software and hardware upgrades. Should be able to do it without getting a completely new steering wheel.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
I doesn't matter, I have them figured out, just not happy they are not changed with the software and hardware upgrades. Should be able to do it without getting a completely new steering wheel.
Yep understood. Was just posting that more for general info. Everybody should get the paddle feel they prefer. I actually inquired about getting the stiffer spring tension back. No real solution for that, yet.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Yep understood. Was just posting that more for general info. Everybody should get the paddle feel they prefer. I actually inquired about getting the stiffer spring tension back. No real solution for that, yet.
I could let you know 6th about the tension aspect after looking at mine tomorrow, I had mine taken off the car. I was contemplating having it altered, by incorporating matching red leather on the top of the wheel and black perforated with red inside the perforations. Cheers....??

1 - 20 of 20 Posts