2016 Lamborghini Aventador LP 750-4 Superveloce 1:25.42 sec
2015 Nissan GT-R NISMO 1:25.70 sec
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (Z07, 8A) 1:25.76 sec
2015 McLaren 650S Spyder - 1:25.88

Cannot believe how much faster than the 675LT the 720S went

·
Registered
303 Posts
Viper ACR ran 1:21:24 would be first. But it's a short track put the same cars on a track like Nurburgring and the order finished and differences in time will be completely different. However 1:21 is a pretty awesome time.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Viper ACR was run with a different driver on a manufacturer effort, aka infinite suspension and geometry tweaking, aero setup, tires, etc. Reason why I only care about sport auto lap times and not manufacturer times on the Ring

·
Registered
303 Posts
Viper ACR was run with a different driver on a manufacturer effort, aka infinite suspension and geometry tweaking, aero setup, tires, etc. Reason why I only care about sport auto lap times and not manufacturer times on the Ring
I don't care who the driver was, the fact is it ran a 1:21:24 regardless of how you explain it. I wouldn't call Randy Pobst an inferior driver. I'd like to see what it runs on the Ring, the only known time that I've ever came across is 7:14 but it doesn't say anything about driver or anything so it's probably not a valid time. I don't think it will do sub 7 min time but it's probably pretty close to it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't care who the driver was, the fact is it ran a 1:21:24 regardless of how you explain it. I wouldn't call Randy Pobst an inferior driver. I'd like to see what it runs on the Ring, the only known time that I've ever came across is 7:14 but it doesn't say anything about driver or anything so it's probably not a valid time. I don't think it will do sub 7 min time but it's probably pretty close to it.
Well the 7:14 of the 720s on the Nordschleife were don by journo driver Horst van Saume on normel pirelli road tyres. Take as porsche did with the Gt2Rs, driver Lars kent (absolut pro driver with probably the best knowledge of the Nordschleife) Give the 720s sepcial compund (as the Gt2 Rs had, not on the market right now for public), heated tyres, Nordschleife setup and rent the ring for 2 days to get the best lap published, the 720s well easely run a 6:55 with the right hands..

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Fact is that without sometime like Lewis Hamilton, a truckload of tires, and engineers to setup the car and analyze the data, we will never know what the limit is for any of these cars. Drivers matter, which is why we compare times from the same driver, hopefully in the same track condition, at the same time. What did Randy run the ACR at Laguna Seca compared to the "record"?

·
570S Silica White
702 Posts
Makes me wonder kind of time the 720S will turn in at the next Lightning Lap (hopefully it will be there), considering the NFGT just broke the C&D record there. And the Senna times will be even more interesting.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Fact is that without sometime like Lewis Hamilton, a truckload of tires, and engineers to setup the car and analyze the data, we will never know what the limit is for any of these cars. Drivers matter, which is why we compare times from the same driver, hopefully in the same track condition, at the same time. What did Randy run the ACR at Laguna Seca compared to the "record"?
Sure all that stuff matters, but you can play that game all day long with about any kind of competitive environment. Ever since the beginning of competition whether it be cars, professional sports, etc, there is always an infinite amount of reasons as to why someone or something did or did not do something. Something like this you can look at time of year, time of day, track upgrades, etc, etc, the list goes on. There is a numerous amount of things you can say "what if" to. Bottom line, the fact is the score sheet doesn't have enough room to say how it was done, just the fact that it was done. And that is the only thing that matters.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Wrong, there's plenty of room in the score sheet. And the score sheet is getting longer. Just like in big games, context matters. I don't pay any attention to any not sports auto 'ring time. That was long debated over 10 years over in the official supercars.net thread which was one of the first to officially tabulate the laptimes. I can't tell Jack diddly that the ACR that ran from the factory was what the customer receives. Ferrari has been playing that stupid game for decades. Guess what, independent verification is a tenet of the scientific method. In every scientific study, there is an attempt to minimize variables and if that can't be helped, only keep second order ones. Randy ran a slower lap than the factory driver with full engineering team at Laguna Seca. Weather (wet/dry track, track temp, air temp) and driver are the two biggest variables. To completely disregard one of those two just doesn't make sense. That we are even comparing a car that is a full on track special to a car that can be daily'd and driven cross continent in comfort is telling.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think the most impressive part is the fact from personal experience the 720s is the most comfortable, practical, least street compromised car on this list besides maybe the turbo that is 3.5 seconds off.

·
Registered
76 Posts
We ran 720/perf/gt3rs at thermal. All 3 on troffeo r’s. 720 best, gt3 .5 second back, perf another second back. Short of long, I’m selling the perf.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts