McLaren Life banner

301 - 317 of 317 Posts

·
Registered
7,997 Posts
So they sold more than 25 models ?!
I suspect there were 'good customer' issues if the two xp got remade. I thought there was only one xp and that car started life as a 12c.

The third car at the bottom isn't an HS even though it closely resembles one.

If the criteria for it being an HS is the vin starting 688, I think there are only 25 of those.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I tracked my HS and P1 at VIR yesterday. What a glorious car the HS is on track! My best lap in the HS (Trofeo) was only 8/10 of a second behind my best lap in the P1 (Corsas). I could really feel the difference the Trofeos made in grip and stopping. The brakes on the P1 are better but they have more mass to stop and the Corsa tires provide less grip. But I was still amazed with the HS especially given how much faster the P1 is on the straights. It's just so lovely and stable to drive at high speeds.

BTW my P1 did it's 8,000th mile while on track! I glanced down and saw a little over 150mph while the odometer ticked over to 8,000! Now comparatively very few of those 8,000 miles were actually on the track at speed (probably 400-500) but it was still fun to hit that milestone on my favorite track (VIRginia International Raceway) on a beautiful sunny day. My love for these cars grows fonder and fonder.
Great pics still love that blue.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
What I was thinking at the Time

I suspect there were 'good customer' issues if the two xp got remade. I thought there was only one xp and that car started life as a 12c.

The third car at the bottom isn't an HS even though it closely resembles one.

If the criteria for it being an HS is the vin starting 688, I think there are only 25 of those.
This is funny that you post this after all this time. Glad that you took my advice going back to school, a few night classes must have cleared everything up. I'm not a person to tell you I told you so I will tell you what I was thinking about when responding back to you. I wasn't going to post everything that I know I just thought the owners of these cars should know the existence of extra cars.

But you seemed so stubborn not to believe what I was telling you. I really didn't know what to say other than go to school which I meant go find out for yourself. Even in a PM I mentioned to you a generic term of one of the owners and to me you kept repeating I have a contract and McLaren wouldn't do that to the contract owners. That's what I was understanding at the time. And then you posted about the people you deal with are "in the know". Well maybe so but at the moment in time those people in the know certainly didn't want you to know. So I just left the thread for you to find out eventually on your own. That's why I stated I want you to find out because I wasn't posting that intel here.

The thing that I failed to understand was that McLaren had just screwed the 675 LT Coupe owners/orders with the spider LT so why couldn't you realize the possibility? I took it as if no McLaren wouldn't do that to me I have a contract.

Also at this time I asked NB if he knew anything and other than the dusty prototype he didn't know anything about extra cars. I won't post his ownership here but you can figure why I asked him. He did make his own inquiry soon after.

I just wanted to add that McLaren didn't go out of its way to make more than 25 cars or mislead anyone. It's just a particular course or route taken and I think most would understand the details involved.

As far as serial numbers I have no idea...

BC

Hope you are enjoying your HS I still think its one of the best looking. Well maybe not as nice as XP3... I jest I jest.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
When is the last time this register has been updated?
lol did you just buy the silver one that was for sale last month or another reason you ask?

OK know the answer already ;-)

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #306 (Edited)
Update

Mule - RHD - Orange - Europe - Mule based on MP4-12C

XP1 - LHD - Orange - Middle East - Carbon Bonnet
XP2 - LHD - Silver - Europe - Yellow and Blue Details

001 - LHD - Volcano Red - Europe
002 - RHD - Red Carbon - Europe - Black Carbon Details
003 - LHD - Volcano Orange - USA - Exposed Carbon Racing stripe
004 - LHD - Black - Middle East -
005 - LHD - Sterling Grey - USA - Orange Details
006 - LHD - Satin Volcano Red - Middle East - Offset Black Carbon stripe
007 - RHD - F1 Charcoal Grey - Europe -
008 - RHD - Agrigan Black - Europe - Red Details
009 - LHD - Black - Far East - Gold Wheels
010 - RHD - Silver - Europe - Orange Stripe and Details
011 - LHD - Chameleon Carbon - Middle East -
012 - LHD - Blue Carbon - Europe - Blue Details
013 - LHD - White - USA - Green carbonfibre details, Green Stripe
014 - LHD - Silver - USA - Orange Details
015 - LHD - Black - USA - Orange Details
016 - LHD - Carbon - USA - Red Details
017 - LHD - Volcano Orange - USA - White Details
018 - LHD - Jet Black - USA -
019 - RHD - Green - Europe - Yellow Details
020 - LHD - F1 Chrome - USA - Orange Details
021 - RHD - Blu Alfa - Europe - White Details
022 - RHD - Grey - Hong Kong -
023 - LHD - Silver - Europe - Carbon Stripe, Orange/Red Details
'024' - LHD - Black - Europe -
025 - LHD - Orange - Europe -

** - LHD - Black - Europe - Based on 675LT, Carbon Bonnet
** - LHD - Silver - Europe - 'MSO R', based on 675LT, Carbon Stripe, Red Details

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #307
Updated 010, 022, and 025 as confirmed. Also added the Mule, an unusual car and the MSO R, which it essentially an MSO HS except in name and minor variation. All numbers known and confirmed. Only 024 remains at large!

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Updated 010, 022, and 025 as confirmed. Also added the Mule, an unusual car and the MSO R, which it essentially an MSO HS except in name and minor variation. All numbers known and confirmed. Only 024 remains at large!
MSO R? The coupe or spider?

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Only including the Coupe here as a different body type, in my mind, makes the Spider a bit different. There is an argument to include it, I guess.
The R is not an HS, I’ve only seen the spider. Should you include the coupé ? Probably.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Only including the Coupe here as a different body type, in my mind, makes the Spider a bit different. There is an argument to include it, I guess.

Spider needs to be mentioned but not included ... its really a unique car as kind of the only "688HS Spider" ever made

·
Registered
1,145 Posts

they told me when I took pictures of it that the MSO R coupe is not a 675LT and also did not start its life as one (my dealer is the one where it was delivered) ... it was always only that car ... from my knowledge the spider was a 675LT spider press car before

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #313
they told me when I took pictures of it that the MSO R coupe is not a 675LT and also did not start its life as one (my dealer is the one where it was delivered) ... it was always only that car ... from my knowledge the spider was a 675LT spider press car before
The son of the owner posted pictures of the 675LT coupe that was to be 'a special donor car' on his page dedicated to the car, claiming it to be 'McLaren's Former press car and Record lap holder at TopGear track'.

Add to that the fact that I have VIN pictures of it before and after it's update with the VIN indicating that it was indeed a 675LT.

Unfortunately you appear to have been advised incorrectly!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The son of the owner posted pictures of the 675LT coupe that was to be 'a special donor car' on his page dedicated to the car, claiming it to be 'McLaren's Former press car and Record lap holder at TopGear track'.

Add to that the fact that I have VIN pictures of it before and after it's update with the VIN indicating that it was indeed a 675LT.

Unfortunately you appear to have been advised incorrectly!
the green one ? I remember that, but thought it was a spider and base for the spider ...
Anyway could be I mixed up what they told me about the coupe and spider (was about a year or so ago) ... one was purpose build and the other was not but modified from a 675LT

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #315
The R is not an HS, I’ve only seen the spider. Should you include the coupé ? Probably.
IIRC correctly, the only difference between the R and the HS is the rear wing and the name badges.

The 570S with the new MSO Defined High Downforce Kit (wing) would not reasonably warrant a new model designation and I think, similarly, it is a stretch to do so with the R.
the green one ? I remember that, but thought it was a spider and base for the spider ...
Anyway could be I mixed up what they told me about the coupe and spider (was about a year or so ago) ... one was purpose build and the other was not but modified from a 675LT

Ah that makes more sense. Yes, the Coupe was a modified 675LT, the Spider was the last ever P11.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Interesting what you posted about the only differences on the R type.

I don’t want to bring up the drama like last time when I mentioned an extra MSO HS was made. I have a gut feeling that there is still another one in existence. Only a gut feeling I might add.

Also two cars of interest I would mention.
One is a 675 LT scooped coupe that had one of the blue printed engines and the owner had a small badge of 688 on the side.

The other I believe is a 675LT that had some elements of the exterior of the MSO HS installed. I won’t mention anything else since it was told in confidence but it did come from one of McLaren's most important clients.

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
The 4.0l engine was tested in other cars before the 720S so it would make sense if the 688PS engine was tested in a 675LT first.

301 - 317 of 317 Posts