McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 720S ended up with all exterior stuff (apart from the door applique) in carbon fibre and I really liked it, the look of course and the anorak in me liked the weight saving which in fact was only around 10kg including the CF MSO air brake.
765LT would have to be all or nothing in carbon fibre from my visual perspective when I say all I don't mean ALL as obviously that can go on forever, I am meaning:
Diffuser
Rear Bumper
Aerobridges
Front Splitter
Front air intakes
Side skirts
Hood intakes
Front fender intakes
Rear side fender air intakes
Side Mirror caps
The bottom four items are included in the base price but the upper six items when ordered using the packs come to £38K (around $50K US)

My anorak logic was not getting any satisfaction from any weight savings by speccing the parts in the gorgeous visual CF since all the parts in Dark Palladium were already in the ultra light weight carbon fibre.
I personally do not like the mis match of having the bottom four items in visual carbon fibre and the upper six in Dark Palladium so yes I went for the ridiculously priced MSO Black Pack where all the above items with the exception of the fender vents (which remain visual carbon fibre) get painted gloss black, also those door appliques get the gloss black

I am hoping that the gloss black will really pop against the Chicane Effect paint and provide the homogenous look which I want.

Question is, how many on here thought similarly, any other Black Packers on here ?

·
Registered
461 Posts
I considered it and was tempted, but then wondered if I would regret not getting visual CF on such a special car.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went with full CF exterior except the roof rails. The carbon weave really pops as you can see from the attached photo of my car. You’ve come this far.... may as well go all the way.

Looks fantastic, the wing really works on the white (y)

May I ask, did you get the door applique/winglet in CF ?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Looks fantastic, the wing really works on the white (y)

May I ask, did you get the door applique/winglet in CF ?
You mean the rear aero bridge? Yes I did and I think it’s a must if you do the other exterior components in CF. It’s a large piece and you look directly at it every time you reach for the door handle.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You mean the rear aero bridge? Yes I did and I think it’s a must if you do the other exterior components in CF. It’s a large piece and you look directly at it every time you reach for the door handle.

Not the aerobridge, they call it the door winglet or applique, it is the bit in front of the aerobridge and includes the door handle/push bit , circled in red - is this CF too ?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Not the aerobridge, they call it the door winglet or applique, it is the bit in front of the aerobridge and includes the door handle/push bit , circled in red - is this CF too ?
The door winglet is part of the of the aero bridge, at least according to my dealer and the actual 765LT order guide.

235810DA-04D9-4CB0-8C11-DE648D47A9DE.jpeg

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for clarifying that, looks great, this must be why the visual CF aerobridge option is so expensive as those pieces are quite intricate and I would imagine hard to make.

·
Registered
112 Posts
It’s CF. It wasn’t a separate option so it must be part of the aero bridge.

I totally agree that the rear aero bridge is must have option. At the 765LT price point, what is another $12,370 in the overall scheme of things. Nothing about these purchases make any financial sense whatsoever. The calculus is merely about trading money for enjoyment and fulfillment.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I totally agree that the rear aero bridge is must have option. At the 765LT price point, what is another $12,370 in the overall scheme of things. Nothing about these purchases make any financial sense whatsoever. The calculus is merely about trading money for enjoyment and fulfillment.
For some of us the man maths has to kick in at some point, having worked out a way of justifying and sucking up the depreciation we have just taken on our bought new two year old 720s I guess one decides to draw a line somewhere although I added the damn engine window after the spec had been entered into the system :)
Not wishing to detract from those with the awesome visual CF but I had it all on my 720 and kind feel like I have done that bit and am looking forward to the pop of the gloss black (CF) bits (y)

·
Registered
112 Posts
For some of us the man maths has to kick in at some point, having worked out a way of justifying and sucking up the depreciation we have just taken on our bought new two year old 720s I guess one decides to draw a line somewhere although I added the damn engine window after the spec had been entered into the system :)
Not wishing to detract from those with the awesome visual CF but I had it all on my 720 and kind feel like I have done that bit and am looking forward to the pop of the gloss black (CF) bits (y)
I mean, I guess so, but my only point was that if someone has $430 to spend on a goofy car, they probably have $442 to spend on a goofy car. This car is so special, I personally did not want to run the risk of wishing I had equipped the car differently.

·
Registered
461 Posts
This car is so special, I personally did not want to run the risk of wishing I had equipped the car differently.
This is precisely my fear too.

I know I won't regret spending too much, but I might well regret spending too little.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I mean, I guess so, but my only point was that if someone has $430 to spend on a goofy car, they probably have $442 to spend on a goofy car. This car is so special, I personally did not want to run the risk of wishing I had equipped the car differently.
Agree totally hence dropping £14K/$18K on the MSO Black Pack, I think those with the mis-match (IMHO) of Palladium and visual CF may harbour regrets somewhere down the line.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I spec'd the black pack. The black pack pricing was so offensive. I feel black looks better than dark palladium (feels really grey to me). I ended up spec'ing the black pack mostly due to budget. Getting everything in carbon fiber was over 3 times more expensive than the black pack. Also, I am worried the carbon fiber options are the worst when it comes to retaining your value.

I did carbon everything in the interior.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I ended up spec'ing the black pack mostly due to budget. Getting everything in carbon fiber was over 3 times more expensive than the black pack.
I now realise I am using Man-Maths to justify my decision, as I compared total car cost with Black Pack vs with Carbon, and took the view the percentage increase on the whole car was not significant. :LOL:

You (correctly) compared the options themselves.

I prefer my maths :)

·
Registered
461 Posts
I didn’t spec the Carbon aero bridge. I actually think it’s over priced. But, I can certainly respect why those who spec’d it did.
I didn't spec this on my 720S, but the factory installed it anyway. I'd now find it hard to not have it on my LT, when my current car has it. Same with visible interior CF structure. I didn't spec it, but half of it was installed anyway.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I spec'd the black pack. The black pack pricing was so offensive. I feel black looks better than dark palladium (feels really grey to me). I ended up spec'ing the black pack mostly due to budget. Getting everything in carbon fiber was over 3 times more expensive than the black pack. Also, I am worried the carbon fiber options are the worst when it comes to retaining your value.

I did carbon everything in the interior.
I like your thinking (y)
Don't forget most if not all the parts which MSO paints gloss black are carbon fibre anyway, it began with budget for me but now I am super excited about it, think it will look awesome a much stronger contrast than the dark palladium or visual CF and it seems quite a rarely ticked option, an exclusive club :cool:
Did you also go for the CF air vents in the interior ?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts