McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I think about it to wrap the complete roof of my white MP4. Only the middle part I have seen several times in black, but not the whole area incl. window frames. Has anyone made this, seen this or pics from it on a MP4?

Often this is seen at 458 Italia like here.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Looks great on the Italia for sure. MP4 can only be done on center of roof excluding pillars because they blend into the rear fenders out back.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Looks great on the Italia for sure. MP4 can only be done on center of roof excluding pillars because they blend into the rear fenders out back.
That´s the point, if it looks good incl. black pillars or if the line is destroyed. Here I've made it to some photos(unprofessional). How are your opinions ?

·
Registered
715 Posts
Interesting.

My MO one has the center roof done as well. In looking at it the front (a pillar)I think can be done. However the back would require a really crafty hand as the c pillar sweeps into the back fender swell. Looks cool but not sure it's doable well. On the 458 there is a panel line right at the fender swell that separates the c pillar. Easy to transition. On the Mac not so much. Good luck, let us see what you come up with. Here's my roof:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374141220.345463.jpg

·
Registered
560 Posts
IMO the 458 looks good like that. the 12c not so much..
I do like the top center black (like the gt3)

with the wrap issue, 2 of my friends had problems. one was on a 12c where he had the rear bumper wrapped HS style. if you look at the car during the day with polarized glasses you can literally see the plastic wrap melted around the exhaust and vents.
2nd guy has a new SS Camaro and decided to take wrap off. when he did paint came off with the wrap.
im not saying don't do it, just take necessary precautions.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have seen cars that have been wrapped for about 4 years and the plastic is now cracking and peeling off in some areas, and taking the paint with it. These cars tend to sit outside in the weather and are driven everyday. I don't know anything about wraps or what the proper care is for the wrap, maybe the cracks can be avoided.

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Mask - That looks pretty cool from the photos. What make of wrap did you go with? Any commentary on potential side effects from heat exposure near the engine bay cover? I only ask as there was another thread that mentioned impact from wrap near the exhaust outs... Probably hotter there than at the engine lid though.

Again, looks good!

-nh4.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mask - That looks pretty cool from the photos. What make of wrap did you go with? Any commentary on potential side effects from heat exposure near the engine bay cover? I only ask as there was another thread that mentioned impact from wrap near the exhaust outs... Probably hotter there than at the engine lid though.
Again, looks good!
-nh4.
The wrap is only up to the engine bay cover. It is therefore no heat to the foil, so I hope :).

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here the direct comparison before and after, of the same view.

I hope in this area the foil will get no problems with the heat from the engine :rolleyes:.

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Mask - It must depend more on the type of wrap, the maker, and probably the most important bit, the adhesive used to stick it to the car. I did a quick search and came up with the following link. I'm honestly not sure what either of these might mean, but it has a high temp of "more than 180 degrees C" and temp resistance up to 250 degrees C.

http://www.sinocarwrapfilm.com/ProductShow.asp?id=246

I'm sure that area will have some heat exposure, but I doubt (and hope) it wouldn't be 180-250 degrees C worth of heat!

-nh4,

·
Registered
715 Posts
Great Job. Looks fantastic. The bit at the back hump was very well done. Is there a noticeable lip or were you able t put it in a crease?

The overall look is really great.

Fine job.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts