McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello forum members.

I am currently considering the purchase of a MY 2012 MP with 5k miles and all Iris updates complete. Also had a 5k service just completed as well. $281k sticker.

I know coming to a McLaren forum will get me many biassed answers, but what are the main things I need to look for in this car? I.e., clutch wear (how do these clutches compare to that of Ferrari and Lamborghini).

Are there MUST have options (I believe sport exhaust is one most say is needed)? What are some of the hottest and best colors as far as resale goes?

I am really just open to any and all advice straight from actual owners that could help me along the way. I have heard from a few how incredible the car performs, but others have said it becomes boring after about 500 miles of driving.

I have read a lot about the depreciation factor that many new owners have taken. Is there an end in sight to the drop in value? If the car does everything so right as many say, what went / or is going so wrong??

Again... Any info will be greatly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Hi Mac Attack, there are a few threads on the topics you're after. Here's a recent one I set aside on what to check when taking delivery;

http://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/m...claren-orange-delivered-thursday-evening.html

As you mentioned depreciation, I don't think you'll find any 'must have' options, I think it will all come down to what you are looking for out of the car... If you look at them from the point of view of selling down the road, you may get a bit more later for an option you'll pay a bit more for now. I think the overall depreciation hasn't really been hugely different than many other exotics. I think the hope was (if I owned one, it would be my hope as well) that given the car itself is like a Ferrari 458 in terms of what it can do, that it would also have the same depreciation profile as the Ferrari... There are a few good threads on this topic going on right now in the forums so I won't re-hash it here.

As far as being biased, I'm in the same boat as you are. I'm not an owner, but I hope to be. In my case, I'm still a year or more out, so I'm loving the depreciation (sorry current owners!).

Are you looking at a 'McLaren Qualified' CPO car?

Best of Luck,

-NH4.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Mac Attack, there are a few threads on the topics you're after. Here's a recent one I set aside on what to check when taking delivery;

http://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/m...claren-orange-delivered-thursday-evening.html

As you mentioned depreciation, I don't think you'll find any 'must have' options, I think it will all come down to what you are looking for out of the car... If you look at them from the point of view of selling down the road, you may get a bit more later for an option you'll pay a bit more for now. I think the overall depreciation hasn't really been hugely different than many other exotics. I think the hope was (if I owned one, it would be my hope as well) that given the car itself is like a Ferrari 458 in terms of what it can do, that it would also have the same depreciation profile as the Ferrari... There are a few good threads on this topic going on right now in the forums so I won't re-hash it here.

As far as being biased, I'm in the same boat as you are. I'm not an owner, but I hope to be. In my case, I'm still a year or more out, so I'm loving the depreciation (sorry current owners!).

Are you looking at a 'McLaren Qualified' CPO car?

Best of Luck,

-NH4.
Thanks for the info. I will be coming out of a Ferrari Scuderia, so I'm not foreign to an awesome performing car. I've just been in and out of cars in less than a years time (past 3 cars) lately, and just seem to want a change (for whatever reason)!

And the car is being sold by the original owner, so I suppose that is not a CPO car in that sense.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Talk to dealers and they will say Volcano Red is the most popular colour secondhand and new plus, new, VO and any silvers which Porsche owners choose.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Just a quick note Mac,the clutch will never wear out,its a dual clutch and is so protected with sensors you would have to hit it with a sledge hammer to damage it,so your safe :) It will last the lifetime of the car

·
Registered
715 Posts
Just a quick note Mac,the clutch will never wear out,its a dual clutch and is so protected with sensors you would have to hit it with a sledge hammer to damage it,so your safe :) It will last the lifetime of the car
Yes, I was told by an engineer with Mclaren that it will, (not should) last at least 100k miles.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Hello forum members.

I am currently considering the purchase of a MY 2012 MP with 5k miles and all Iris updates complete. Also had a 5k service just completed as well. $281k sticker.

I know coming to a McLaren forum will get me many biassed answers, but what are the main things I need to look for in this car? I.e., clutch wear (how do these clutches compare to that of Ferrari and Lamborghini).

Are there MUST have options (I believe sport exhaust is one most say is needed)? What are some of the hottest and best colors as far as resale goes?

I am really just open to any and all advice straight from actual owners that could help me along the way. I have heard from a few how incredible the car performs, but others have said it becomes boring after about 500 miles of driving.

I have read a lot about the depreciation factor that many new owners have taken. Is there an end in sight to the drop in value? If the car does everything so right as many say, what went / or is going so wrong??

About the boring bit, I put over 600 miles on in the first week, now just at 1000 after the second. Could be honeymoon, but I look for reasons to take her out. If you get bored, do a launch. It'll reset any notions you may have.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Yes, I was told by an engineer with Mclaren that it will, (not should) last at least 100k miles.
Yes Walt,the main man who bench tested the gearbox and engine together actually told me they would be disappointed if the drivetrain didn't survive at least 200 k miles,with obviously the odd anomaly,when you know what they did on that test I,m not surprised !!

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
Hello forum members.

nyone who buys a new car and sells it in under a year with less than a few thousand miles deserves to take a massive depreciation.

A Scud that originally had sold at 100k over list making it a 400k car that now sells for 170k 4 years later with almost the same production numbers show Mclaren isn't doing so bad but it could IMO been a lot better but for!

Let me toss out a random number.

If 200 owners worldwide est. 10% of production would have acted like the other 90% of owners there would be significantly less depreciation.

Holding on to their cars and working with Mclaren would have been a far better path. There are other reasons but that spoke volumes.

Many blame marketing distribution etc - but the more I read from posts here this is my formed opinion.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
nyone who buys a new car and sells it in under a year with less than a few thousand miles deserves to take a massive depreciation.

A Scud that originally had sold at 100k over list making it a 400k car that now sells for 170k 4 years later with almost the same production numbers show Mclaren isn't doing so bad but it could IMO been a lot better but for!

Let me toss out a random number.

If 200 owners worldwide est. 10% of production would have acted like the other 90% of owners there would be significantly less depreciation.

Holding on to their cars and working with Mclaren would have been a far better path. There are other reasons but that spoke volumes.

Many blame marketing distribution etc - but the more I read from posts here this is my formed opinion.
I also think if McLaren would have released the car with the newest software, with the 616hp, lighter paddles, different throttle mapping etc. more would have kept their cars. The change between the first car I drove, and the 2nd with the new software, converted me to a buyer.

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
I also think if McLaren would have released the car with the newest software, with the 616hp, lighter paddles, different throttle mapping etc. more would have kept their cars. The change between the first car I drove, and the 2nd with the new software, converted me to a buyer.
Agree!

Which is exactly why I bought a Mclaren.

Some other factories save the best for last.

Whereas Mclaren really is trying to satisfy current owner regardless if they purchased it new or used.

Hopefully Mclaren will continue it's service til it's what everyone expected without exception.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Guys...

Is a clutch reading taken on these cars same way as Ferrari and Lambos? Has anyone one had one done. If so, what were the miles and clutch wear when taken?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Guys...

Is a clutch reading taken on these cars same way as Ferrari and Lambos? Has anyone one had one done. If so, what were the miles and clutch wear when taken?

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Guys...

No reading needed MAC,its a dualclutch,it will last the life of the car within reason,well over 100k miles and beyond,thats the beauty of this gearbox,no maintance,unless of course there is a fault,which you will not have to pay for if you keep up the warrenty :)
Dual clutchs do not work in the same way as conventional single plate clutchs,they are protected from wear in the way they work,whatever the abuse you throw at them.Its a completely different engineering solution to an age old problem of burning out clutches,it is as good as it says,and not too good to be true!!
It seems from your posts that this is your main worry,if that's the case,all your dreams have come true !!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No reading needed MAC,its a dualclutch,it will last the life of the car within reason,well over 100k miles and beyond,thats the beauty of this gearbox,no maintance,unless of course there is a fault,which you will not have to pay for if you keep up the warrenty :)
Dual clutchs do not work in the same way as conventional single plate clutchs,they are protected from wear in the way they work,whatever the abuse you throw at them.Its a completely different engineering solution to an age old problem of burning out clutches,it is as good as it says,and not too good to be true!!
It seems from your posts that this is your main worry,if that's the case,all your dreams have come true !!
Wow... amazing really!! So I;m assuming that goes for the likes of a 458 as well then..?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hello forum members.

I am not sure if you are the same person I have discussed this issue recently but I am going to sell my Midnight Blue (Sapphire Black is what they call it) 2014 12C with 10,100 miles for a 720 S. It is currently being serviced at Dallas McLaren and adding extended warranty. I have not really started marketing it yet so I do not have pics yet. Price will be negotiable. I like to keep my cars in pristine condition. You can text me if interested........316 250 8508.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts