McLaren Life banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
I had the good fortune of being able to test drive the 12C, 458, and LF-A back to back the other day. The 12C killed the competition and the expericance made me even more eager to get my hands on mine (coming in June!!:D) but the LF-A was a real surprise. The car drove fantastic and the fit and finish is on a Rolls Royce level. If money was not object I could definitely see owning both cars; completely different experiences but both very entertaining in their own way. Was wondering if any other 12C owners tested the LF-A and their thoughts on the car?
thanks
I got to drive the LF-A for two laps around Infineon Raceway last year. It was impressive and made the R8 V8 I had rented for the weekend feel really slow. But I never considered buying it, partly because of the price, but mostly because it is 10 year old technology. The gearbox is the same one used in the Carrera GT, the V10 engine was designed back when F1 ran V10's etc. The 12C is a much more modern car technology-wise, IMHO. And faster, judging by the top speed going into Turns 1 and 7 at Infineon (me) vs. Turn 2 at Laguna Seca (HyperMac).

·
Registered
356 Posts
dennis - doesn't it have a paddle-shifted automatic sequential box, whereas the CGT has a 6 speed manual?
You are correct - LFA is a single clutch six speed SMG, similar to (but not the same as) BMW E60 M5. Carrera GT only came with manual 6 speed. I'm trying to remember who gave me the [mis]information, as I know I remember discussing it at the LF-A event...

·
Registered
356 Posts
Dennis,
If you had to choose between Carrera GT and the LFA, which would it be and why?
I've never had a chance to drive a Carrera GT. To be perfectly honest, I wasn't even in the market for an exotic until I started reading about the 12C several years ago. The more I read about the technology and Ron's vision, the more interested I became. After test driving the 12C I knew I had to have one. I never considered buying anything else.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.