McLaren Life banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
I had the good fortune of being able to test drive the 12C, 458, and LF-A back to back the other day. The 12C killed the competition and the expericance made me even more eager to get my hands on mine (coming in June!!:D) but the LF-A was a real surprise. The car drove fantastic and the fit and finish is on a Rolls Royce level. If money was not object I could definitely see owning both cars; completely different experiences but both very entertaining in their own way. Was wondering if any other 12C owners tested the LF-A and their thoughts on the car?
thanks
I completely agree. LF-A is a great car. I drove it at Monticello and on some backroads here in CT, and the car is hugely impressive. Great turn-in, fantastic sound and engine and really crappy gear-box. I was tempted for a bit, but at twice the price of the competition, it made no sense. I asked Lexus if they would just lease the car to me, but they were very eager to sell it, which tells you all you need to know about the value proposition down the road.

·
Registered
292 Posts
A slightly damaged LFA available: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2012...0845801?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item35ba6b11e9

The LFA's carbon/composite fabrication is superior to the likes of the Veyron, CC_/Agera, Zonda/Hyaura, Aventador, and even MP4-12C. The in-house loom rivals Airbus, Boeing, and Aero-Space/Defense technologies.

In principal, there's nothing "new" on the MP4-12C (hydraulic suspension, air-brake/brake-steer, pre-cog, carbon monocoque, etc. have been around for decades), but McLaren made all of these hallmarks remarkably synergistic.

The market niche` for the LFA seems to be the 599GTB, DB-S, and other front-engine V12 ~$300k+ luxo' GT platforms, instead of the ~$200k+ (rear) mid-engine V8 realm of 458's, Gallardo's, R8's, MP4-12C's, 911 GT2's/Turbo-S's, etc.

BTW, it was understood that all LFA's were to be leased thru Lexus for 24-months, then the leaser was granted the option to outright purchase the LFA. There were no exceptions to this acquisition process. This heavy'handed approach by Lexus was to remove flippers & eliminate market-adjustment-value from the LFA purchase process.

FWIW, I really even don't care for the LFA (exterior styling is a bit, odd; performance is a bit, underwhelming; front mid-engine vs. rear mid-engine) but I believe it to be a technical Tour de Force w/ regards to fabrication/construction (incredible CF/composite prowess that'll trickle down to their more ubiquitous offerings thru economies of scale) & an unrivaled engine note (by far, the best sounding current engine short of an F1 power-plant).
Let me assure you that there was no lease program in operation, after all. I was told explicitly in fall 2010 that they changed their approach.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.