McLaren Life banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
A slightly damaged LFA available: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2012...0845801?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item35ba6b11e9

The LFA's carbon/composite fabrication is superior to the likes of the Veyron, CC_/Agera, Zonda/Hyaura, Aventador, and even MP4-12C. The in-house loom rivals Airbus, Boeing, and Aero-Space/Defense technologies.

In principal, there's nothing "new" on the MP4-12C (hydraulic suspension, air-brake/brake-steer, pre-cog, carbon monocoque, etc. have been around for decades), but McLaren made all of these hallmarks remarkably synergistic.

The market niche` for the LFA seems to be the 599GTB, DB-S, and other front-engine V12 ~$300k+ luxo' GT platforms, instead of the ~$200k+ (rear) mid-engine V8 realm of 458's, Gallardo's, R8's, MP4-12C's, 911 GT2's/Turbo-S's, etc.

BTW, it was understood that all LFA's were to be leased thru Lexus for 24-months, then the leaser was granted the option to outright purchase the LFA. There were no exceptions to this acquisition process. This heavy'handed approach by Lexus was to remove flippers & eliminate market-adjustment-value from the LFA purchase process.

FWIW, I really even don't care for the LFA (exterior styling is a bit, odd; performance is a bit, underwhelming; front mid-engine vs. rear mid-engine) but I believe it to be a technical Tour de Force w/ regards to fabrication/construction (incredible CF/composite prowess that'll trickle down to their more ubiquitous offerings thru economies of scale) & an unrivaled engine note (by far, the best sounding current engine short of an F1 power-plant).
@ Osiris_x11

Don't mean to be pedantic but I think your a little off in your praise of the LFA and it's "superior" Carbon/composite Fabrication, the loom was only used for the A-pillar the rest is the usual hand layered carbon techniques, and McLaren/Mercedes got there first, they used the same method for the nose-cone crash structure on the SLR project.
While your right about hydraulic suspension, carbon monocoque etc.. not being new the way in which McLaren makes the Monocell is new and is an incredible bit of engineering a one piece RTM carbon Tub with hollow sections that takes just 4 hours to make!

And has for the sound I personal think the Carrera GT, Ferrari 599 GTO, McLaren F1, BMW E46 M3 CSL make a better sound, but thats just opinion :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
The performance stats on the 918 look underwhelming but from a technical/aesthetics point of view it looks very interesting, I love where the supercar makers are going push the boundaries next as they can't simply up the cylinder/turbo count, Porsche engineers have reportedly stated to Autocar that the 918 will weight 1700kg (curb I hope) that seems a bit heavy for a car with 94mpg.

Does anyone know who owns the patent rights to the Monocell production method Carbotech? McLaren? will be interesting to know how Porsche produce the chassis with A-pillar in one piece, assuming it is one piece. McLaren use Boron steel for the A-Pillar on the 12c maybe it will be a one piece design for the P12?
McLaren & Ferrari are playing the Formula One Sercets game with regard to releasing info on their next projects, unlike Porsche!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.