McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The MP4-12c is an amazingly fast car right from the factory but are the any drivers out there who feel like they want a little more? Has anyone modified their mclaren in the forum?

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
The MP4-12c is an amazingly fast car right from the factory but are the any drivers out there who feel like they want a little more? Has anyone modified their mclaren in the forum?
A few have better flow cats that release another 40+ hp,but as for ECU I don't think so,although there are a few after market products.Its seems most are happy to protect their warrenty.Also the upgrades that McLaren have done so far exceed any aftermarket ones ,and there might be one in the offing next year,even if it has to be bought,it will be a far better buy than anything off the shelf IMO

·
Registered
215 Posts
can't go wrong with bolt on free flowing cats.. Even if mclaren upgrade comes through, those cats will always increase power/torque and response significantly. Actually even more if mclaren trickles with the ecu with more boost/power.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
A few have better flow cats that release another 40+ hp,but as for ECU I don't think so,although there are a few after market products.Its seems most are happy to protect their warrenty.Also the upgrades that McLaren have done so far exceed any aftermarket ones ,and there might be one in the offing next year,even if it has to be bought,it will be a far better buy than anything off the shelf IMO
I couldn't agree with you more andy on what concerns the ECU. It's not something I would want to tinker with unless provided by the folks at Woking. As for the exhaust yes this baby needs to be opened up and allowed to breath, which in turn improves on the somewhat muted sound it produces. Cheers.....??

·
Sponsors
449 Posts
Users Mac1 and Jmoney have installed the AWE Tuning MP4-12C Performance Catalyst and Exhaust System installed on their vehicles. Feel free to reach out to them for their impressions on the kit.

·
Sponsor
936 Posts
I think many are wondering how nicely these catalysts play with the stock computer programming. No one wants to be in a position to lose a warranty. Usually, a computer reflash or equivalent ensures everything works well, together. Any comments from AWE, Fabspeed, or any dealers on here? Has anyone seen, heard, or experieneced any problems.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I think many are wondering how nicely these catalysts play with the stock computer programming. No one wants to be in a position to lose a warranty. Usually, a computer reflash or equivalent ensures everything works well, together. Any comments from AWE, Fabspeed, or any dealers on here? Has anyone seen, heard, or experieneced any problems.
MP4Dream I've had no issues what so ever with the cats on my car, they have performed flawlessly. I'm contemplating switching out the rear section from the current Fabspeed to the up and coming Akrapovic. Cheers.....??

·
Registered
163 Posts
Now Im not a power freek, but why do you need to foook around with cats on a 600bhp car ?
when not taking your golf clubs with you would have the same effect on A to B time.
Maybe not eating in the morning,,, or a Xlax or two before bed ??

This pre conception with too much power has eluded me for decades, Power does not make you faster in all cases, and the curve is exponential (600bhp is more than 60% up it) so more power wont make as much difference as less weight. at the begining of the curve it is opposite and more power does make more difference than weight. I personally reccon 400-450 bhp is the tipping point when weight loss starts to make more like for like difference per Buck.

Maybe drivers should consider why comets travel so fast but need no power to propel them ?? physics lesson anyone ?

Is this the right room for an argument :D ??

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
That's why I only weigh 165lbs aka 74.84kgs aka 11.79st, and I've got super light weight rims etc, etc on or in my putt-putt. Cheers....??

·
Registered
163 Posts
That's why I only weigh 165lbs aka 74.84kgs aka 11.79st, and I've got super light weight rims etc, etc on or in my putt-putt. Cheers....����
:lol: you lucky bugger.... i obviously eat too many moose burgers :p

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Well if your eating moose burgers good for you, it could be the pints of ale your drinking. I love to eat moose and venison and anything that's organic. Which probably explains my small size in all aspects of the word, which in turn doesn't appeal to the opposite sex LOL??. Cheers.....??

·
Registered
163 Posts
Well if your eating moose burgers good for you, it could be the pints of ale your drinking. I love to eat moose and venison and anything that's organic. Which probably explains my small size in all aspects of the word, which in turn doesn't appeal to the opposite sex LOL����. Cheers.....����
Hey, you got me wrong bud, I shoot and eat all sorts of beasts and game for 25 years, I also cook a wickid 12 hour venison dish at 50 degrees,,, grollocked,cut, rolled, and stuffed....

But i have to also admit to the ale :( "you got me there mate"

I also have a very good Moosey Mounty mate in Missasauga ...yup! -10 he told me today (i reccon he always adds a few degrees on to make himself look temp hardened) , good luck with the ladies though sir ..
we were actually arguing about rubber shore rating for engine mounts and its change due to temprature, both sat there on the phone with Durometers in hand ....

funny old life :)

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Hey, you got me wrong bud, I shoot and eat all sorts of beasts and game for 25 years, I also cook a wickid 12 hour venison dish at 50 degrees,,, grollocked,cut, rolled, and stuffed....

But i have to also admit to the ale :( "you got me there mate"

I also have a very good Moosey Mounty mate in Missasauga ...yup! -10 he told me today (i reccon he always adds a few degrees on to make himself look temp hardened) , good luck with the ladies though sir ..
we were actually arguing about rubber shore rating for engine mounts and its change due to temprature, both sat there on the phone with Durometers in hand ....

funny old life :)
Now that you've mentioned all that delicious sounding food, I'm feeling a bit hungry and thirsty all at once. You seem to quite the funny character, I'm sure you must have a ton of stories to tell about life. As for the temps here right now it's -3C which is actually pleasantly warm, compared to a couple of days ago. As for the impact cold has on rubber etc yes indeed it can change it physical composition. Cheers.....??

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Why does everything deteriorate into off topic on this forum? Isn't this a McLaren enthusiast site?
Because we are enjoying life and our cars are a small reward.

I have tossed around the idea of hp and sound. Owning a 16M I have done a few mods including a Capristo.

The MP4 is pretty good out of the box so it's really hard to justify messing with unless as Andy stated the factory offers something.

Messing with Cats where I live with emission testing has been a PIA with the Ferrari but if someone else told me they had zero CEL's it would be worth considering.

Going back to the Capristo - EVOM makes a ECU upgrade for the Ferrari and Capristo eliminating CEL and adds at least 60 hp.

I think down the road as others test these mods with success it will become more popular.

Buddygrip - I agree it's all about weight and grip on the track but rolling races and 1/4 mile runs are quite popular especially with launch.

·
Sponsors
449 Posts
Not only are we the only tuner in the world who was able to engineer a 200 cell catalyst solution for the 12C, we also guarantee no Check Engine Light or any other adverse operational issues. Drop me a PM and I will share some information regarding warranty concerns and aftermarket parts on the 12C.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Why does everything deteriorate into off topic on this forum? Isn't this a McLaren enthusiast site?
As Doug said MP4,I guess its more of a members club,where you can come and chew the cud with like minded owners.To be fair McLaren have up until recently only had the one model,and I must have repeated myself numerous times on advise given on similar issues over the last 3 years,which has been my pleasure But.if we had to be serious all the time it would probably die a death.Sorry if this offends you and others.
What we need is John to do a pole :)
Or better still a sub-section for those that want to make friends with other owners ??

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
As Doug said MP4,I guess its more of a members club,where you can come and chew the cud with like minded owners.To be fair McLaren have up until recently only had the one model,and I must have repeated myself numerous times on advise given on similar issues over the last 3 years,which has been my pleasure But.if we had to be serious all the time it would probably die a death.Sorry if this offends you and others.
What we need is John to do a pole :)
Or better still a sub-section for those that want to make friends with other owners ??
Personally can't get enough moose burger and beer. Love the stuff..bit of Canadian ice wine to finish. ... luvverly!l

1 - 20 of 40 Posts