McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys as good as this car is, it goes to a different level when you put -3.8 degrees camber in the front and -2.2 in the rear.

Had the kit installed today at Performance Speed Tech at Motorsport Ranch and the car is transformed into a track monster as if it wasn't good before now it is just downright SICK!

We just did a quick run on the skidpad at the track tonight and it feels like a Go Kart, just point it and it goes, no nervousness just pure joy!

Don't worry about the tire wear either, as toe is the evil culprit there and this car runs at almost 0 toe front and rear stock anyways so we keep it the same as stock after alignment.

PM me if interested and I will point you in the right direction.

Here are some crude pics of front and rear after camber kit is installed.

Camber is very apparent.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Interresting project !

Don't worry about the tire wear either, as toe is the evil culprit there and this car runs at almost 0 toe front and rear stock anyways so we keep it the same as stock after alignment.
I'm not sure about this statement regarding camber vs toe.

Running -3.8 degrees camber must have some negative impact on tire wear under normal road conditions (e.g. highway). My guess is the tires will just melt on the inside.

PS: What camber are the stock cars running ?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
152 Posts
Having done track setups for years on a mid engine car I can tell you -3.8 is very aggressive.
Front should be 0 toe, and very slight toe in at the rear to ruduce squirm.
For a dual use street /track use -2 front and rear. -2.5(front) will cut a bit more understeer at the limit but -2.5 will now start to wear more the inside edges.
-2 will have more wear on the inside compared to stock but only show towards the end of the tyre life.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
iric,my tyres are lasting approx 4k with only one track day.We will all be interested to see what happens,please keep us posted as everyones opinions are valid ,but it seems a little aggresive and if you can afford the probable tyre wear its always good to have someone willing to try new things.:)

·
Dread man , truly dread
1,183 Posts
Waaaaay too much camber for road use . Interested to see if it confuses any of the systems with sustained track use .

·
Registered
3,072 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stock Camber
-1.5 front & -1.0 rear

Total Toe
-0.017 decimal toe out front & +0.067 decimal toe in rear

Already tested on skidpad and track

-3.2 not enough in front, moved to -3.8 is very good

-2.2 rear is perfect

Leave toe at stock.

Toe is what kills tires, been doing this way too long!

Have 1200 miles on car w 2 track days, outside edge on front from my first impression was it needed at least -3.0 degrees turns out it needed more, rear I guessed -2.2 and it was spot on as -2.7 is too much.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
So who is it that's making and selling the camber kit? And how much is it? Last but not least how much labor involved in performing the job? Cheers...

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Stock Camber
-1.5 front & -1.0 rear

Total Toe

Already tested on skidpad and track

-3.2 not enough in front, moved to -3.8 is very good

-2.2 rear is perfect

Leave toe at stock.

Have 1200 miles on car w 2 track days, outside edge on front from my first impression was it needed at least -3.0 degrees turns out it needed more, rear I guessed -2.2 and it was spot on as -2.7 is too much.
Get back to us with the milage when they are shot please,it will be interesting to compare notes on wear compared to those that havent tracked alot :)

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Stock Camber
-1.5 front & -1.0 rear
Total Toe
Thanks for sharing. Do you know by chance what is the maximum possible camber with stock parts ?

Of course a lot of toe does kill tires but so does a lot of camber. Or can I run -5 degree and no toe and get perfectly even tire wear ? :eek:

-3.8 camber might be great for track use but way too much for road use. Just IMHO of course :)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK guys I tracked the car yesterday on P Zero Street tires.

Car ran consistent 1:21's at Motorsport Ranch Cresson on the 1.7 and I got as low as 1:21.1 twice but tires heated up and just wouldn't stick as much, the longer the session went

Ordered new P Zero Corsas and will let you know how that goes but having said this with the camber set at 3.8 front it was approx 1 sec a lap faster.

The car is also perfect on the road.

The camber kit is great! Thanks AJ

Can't wait to try out the Corsas

·
Registered
2 Posts
OK guys I tracked the car yesterday on P Zero Street tires.

Car ran consistent 1:21's at Motorsport Ranch Cresson on the 1.7 and I got as low as 1:21.1 twice but tires heated up and just wouldn't stick as much, the longer the session went

Ordered new P Zero Corsas and will let you know how that goes but having said this with the camber set at 3.8 front it was approx 1 sec a lap faster.

The car is also perfect on the road.

The camber kit is great! Thanks AJ

Can't wait to try out the Corsas
Thanks Iric!

Just to clarify, the kit is still a prototype. We are working on final pricing and installation details. The kit will allow for over -4.0 degrees of camber. We are fairly certian that will not be necessary :). The kit is capable of running less than what Iric is running. I find that alignment settings will vary by driver choice and feel. At -3.7 degrees and Iric driving the tire temperatures were within 12 degrees from outside to inside. The downside was the street tire was just not up to the task on track we ended up chunking the center of the tire as it overheated. Another gain to be had is a slightly wider front tire and wheel in relation to the rear. This should distribute the cornering load better.

Last, another by-product is an increase in the track width of the car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just FYI I wanted everyone to know that the car has a eccentric bolt to adjust camber but I believe it can only adjust to -1.6 max.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
1.21 at MSR is Pretty good time! Keep us updated when u get the Corsa's on.

Sadly the Street Pzero are poor for track use. I am thinking of ordering a set of rims with MPSC or Corsa's(but I prefer MPSC).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1:19's on Corsas

Put on Corsas, 335 rear & 265 front with -3.8 front & -2.2 rear camber and .4 total toe in front and rear and my best time on a cold track at 30 lbs of pressure avg all the way around was 1:19.3 at MSR 1.7 mile track and I did that several times.

I think w a better day, hotter temps I could drop into the high 1:18's if everything is spot on.

Will keep you up to date

Thanks

1 - 20 of 26 Posts