McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello every one

im new member at this forum and i need an advice ..sorry for my bad english

i already paid deposit on 991 turbo s but last week i test drove used Mp4-12c from qualified dealer .. the asking price for this Mp4-12c was 198,000 and has 16000km on clock ..nearly same price as new 991 turbo s ...

My porsche dealer shocked me when he told me in 2016 turbo s will have increase in power by another 30 hp .. but i will not be able to upgrade mine if i buy one .. on the other hand Mclaren dealer told me the car engine is updatable anytime !!

As far as i know .. 991 turbo s is not as fast as Mp4 .. and the new upgrade ( 650 hp )could push mp4 to near avantador performance ...

Now i cant stop thinking to cancel my 991 turbo s and pick used 2012 mp4 next sumer for around 175000$ .. advice welcomed ...

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
No competiton really.Do you want a mass produced car or one that stands out,the safety and no compromise of a CF tub,or the old fashioned way,and although the 12c has seen depreciation because of a number of factors,it will have hit its level when you buy,were as the 991tts will be at the beginning of its. Plus the Porsche will be more than 10x as common ,and to the uninformed virtually the same as the last one in looks.
As for real world performance,the 12c will be better,but probably not as much in winter,although I still find the road holding comparable to my turbo in the wet and the cold.
Only big plus for me are the 4 seats,but most people have something else for those situations.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
If you rate the 12C after a test drive, wait until you live with one properly for a while, it only gets better.

Also, if you have a dealership near you for service, updates etc that's a plus.

PS It's already there with the Aventador, without any further updates.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I'm one of those that has a 991T on order for quite a while.
However I have withdrawn my proposal and only last week had a call for the OPC asking me to come in and pay my deposit.
I have loved my Porsche Turbos for the past 15 years but the 12C is a massive leap up ( in cost too I know)
Once to grips with the 12C it is above the Porsche realms of performance and just as easily usable everyday- but you'll pay for that bit..

The new car as mentioned will be just the normal, Yes I have no doubt that it will be amazingly quick but that's only part of the appeal, the looks for me on the 991 just didn't go far enough and my eye was taken by the 12C...
It would take a lot to get me out of the McLaren (services costs are helping) and the new Turbo just doesn't do it.
I don't need the 4 seats and having already toured Europe in the 12C like I did with the Porsche Turbo I can honestly say the 12C won nearly every aspect.
And for looks and exclusivity knocks it for six..

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
The new Porsche gets good reports from the journalists, surprise, surprise. But I can't help think it is more of the same albeit evolved and better but it is sort of the same.......

Have a good long test drive in the 12C and if your not smitten by the ballistic performance mash that pedal!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I think the all wheel drive is significant if you live in areas with lots of snow/ice. The rear seats are ok for a 3rd person sitting sideways or 2 small kids. So if that's an issue, that's tough to beat. There is also the cost differential.

With those caveats, the 12C destroys it in every other way. I'm also weird in that I only like getting new cars (only used cars i would ever consider is when I know the owner/driver and think they are good drivers--US is full of too many idiot drivers that mistreat cars), but that peculiarity may be my solely my own.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I've had porsches and do like the look of the 991 although... The interior looks too much Audi like. There have been times I was so pissed off with the mac but still its the car that I drive the most. In those 7months I had it I put over 10 000km.I like it that much I'm considering a spider but the european continental dealers just don't give me a reasonable price for my coupe. Max 176k€.....
The mac is a perfect all rounder, fast, agile, small easy to park somewhere... Wonderfull. Compared to an Aventador you'd be surprised of the mac's performance.

·
Registered
230 Posts
im a hardcore porsche guy and drove turbos for a long time. i was first on the list with a paid deposit for 2 years before the 991 turbo S pics and pricing came out, which made me decide to withdraw my deposit and get a 12c spider instead. the 991 turbo S in my opinion has an ugly underwhelming front and a ridiculous price, regardless of how fast its going to be.
i decided to spend much more and get something more unique and faster. 200k for a 911 is unacceptable in my opinion. the dealers dont know jack about the future, ur talking 3 years from now!, also why wait a whole year to pick up a used 12c for 175k, you can wait 2 years and pick one up for 150k maybe. if you like it now, get it now and if you have to buy used i would pay a bit more and pick one with less mileage. good luck.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
interesting point, the 12c is faster and better car all round than the 997tts, even in the wet the 12cs handling has to be experienced to be believed. I ran a 997tts as a daily driver for 2 years and 35k miles

But not when against the 991tts. I have a 991tts on order for Oct, Along with have driven the car . Apart from top end the Porsche is faster, not way faster but faster , round the bends also. It will also be quicker on track. i.e. the GT3 is faster than the 12c, ok on some circuits. The 991tts is faster than the GT3,

The 991tts should hold up well price wise, they have front loaded the build, No more until end of Q2 next year. Same as GT3

If it were me and a choice between a 13My 12C and 991tts, I would go for the Porsche every time......Opps sorry...It has to be the 12c, leaving aside all of the problems, this car has no equal....IMHO. Albeit if you intend to put miles on the 12c, you have to take into account that you will pay for this usage at the time of sale.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for everyone who shared his advice on this topic ..

actually im not in usa .. im in dubai ,, so no need really for 4wd ..

i decided to cancel my order on 991tubo s .. and searching for either orange or white mp4-12c ...

another question .. is ground clearance an issue if i decide to drive mp4-12c as daily drives ...

thanks alot ..

·
Registered
11,177 Posts

i decided to cancel my order on 991tubo s .. and searching for either orange or white mp4-12c ...

another question .. is ground clearance an issue if i decide to drive mp4-12c as daily drives ...

thanks alot ..
Never been an issue,if you have some really high speed bumps you put the car into track mode which stiffens up the car then go in at an angle .

·
Registered
108 Posts
interesting point, the 12c is faster and better car all round than the 997tts, even in the wet the 12cs handling has to be experienced to be believed. I ran a 997tts as a daily driver for 2 years and 35k miles

But not when against the 991tts. I have a 991tts on order for Oct, Along with have driven the car . Apart from top end the Porsche is faster, not way faster but faster , round the bends also. It will also be quicker on track. i.e. the GT3 is faster than the 12c, ok on some circuits. The 991tts is faster than the GT3,

The 991tts should hold up well price wise, they have front loaded the build, No more until end of Q2 next year. Same as GT3

If it were me and a choice between a 13My 12C and 991tts, I would go for the Porsche every time......Opps sorry...It has to be the 12c, leaving aside all of the problems, this car has no equal....IMHO. Albeit if you intend to put miles on the 12c, you have to take into account that you will pay for this usage at the time of sale.
Great advice. There are definitely more Porsche dealership to service your car and the warranty is longer as well. Please check your PM.

·
Registered
8,123 Posts

I wonder after how many iterations they have finally cured the fact that no turbo has ever been able to turn in..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi 991turbos - iMHO - I think in Dubai firstly the day to day driving sensation is more important than the speeds - they are all very very fast but I bet the daily commuting feel of the turbo is ..... well porsche like. The Mac is totally different - just sitting in the cockpit made me switch. Also the mac is new so enjoy it now before it becomes common place (relatively speaking). You can always go back later - a new brand, new car, awesome car coming on the scene is very rare. Most new brand cars are half baked and are around only a few years - I think and hope mac stays the course - we need a third way from Porsche / Ferrari.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
its now sorted, like well sorted . its better than the GT3 in my view. Another thing to take into account with the 12c, is what's is it going to be like for parts service when the music stops,.....

·
Registered
1,149 Posts

thanks alot ..
You should pm Jerry on here, he's in DBX and has a 12C.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Well the issue with the turbo, certainly in the water cooled era, is not and has never been whether they are quick. They are bloody quick point to point in all conditions but IMO have never been particularly fun.

to the OP, you might as well pick up a used 12c now and put down a deposit on the 991 gt3 RS for when that comes out

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Any truth to the 991tts doing 0-60 2.5s......1/4mi 10.6s......ring time under 7:20! Has the sound improved, all write ups say so. is turn in better as is driver involvement (steering feel/response). tts supposedly quicker than gt3. I hav a 997tt 6spd n definitely looking to upgrade. I considered the 12C but logistics n gremlins have me gun shy. I know the 991tts will b rock solid out of the blocks. I know this is supercar territory but creature comforts are unmatched with the 991tts. TIA for reply CITYLAD
Plus the money I save gets me a loaded BOXSTER S ;0)

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Widow , it is all true, sounds like you are on a win win, go for it and enjoy it. I'm sure it will be a popular success. A friend has ordered for his wife and daughter. He is convinced also.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts