McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I was picking out which car to get, was thinking that the 458's nose may be the prettiest front end I've ever seen. And that Mac was really nice, but not quite as pretty. I picked the Mac for the performance, it was simply better in almost every way.

I was watching the old Clarkson review on TG of the two, and the 458 started to look a bit dated. Don't get me wrong. Still a lovely car, but a bit...less.

I don't know if it's some phycological effect at play here. Perhaps it's some rationalization the mind works. Yes, my wife is prettiest, or the love of the thing makes you appreciate its aesthetic more.

Or perhaps it's the flip side... Not sure you've ever experienced this with a song. But you hear some pop tune, and you instantly like it. It's catchy. But you listen to it a bunch of times and then get sick of it and wonder how you could have liked it (a bit saccharine like some boy/girl band pop song). And then you listen to some other tune, and dont like it at all. But for one reason or the other, you hear it a bit more, and then you really love it and it becomes one of your all time favorites. Something about the mind takes some time to fully appreciate it.

Anyhow, weird thing is, now, I prefer the Mac. It doesnt look dated. It looks better poised. It just looks better. Anyone else have a similar experience? The 458 is like some sugar pop song, and the Mac is a timeless piece of engineering art.

http://www.gfwilliams.net/blog/Entry/16.html

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
I think the MP4 is the best buy on the market - at sticker or discounted.

It's my dd placed placed in track / track mode full time - it's a blast sounds terrific and looks even better.

I don't use IRIS and never touched the stalk and for those who do - eventually Mclaren will work things out - til then deal with it :)

·
Registered
551 Posts
Best buy I'm not sure but why would one settle for less.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I think it is a great car and from certain angles looks awesome. But I think they could have done better given the blank sheet of paper they had.

·
Registered
367 Posts
They both have some great angles. 458 from the side and rear is just fierce. I never liked the nose. Awful headlights. Agree about the 458 being a bit dated already. Designs that are functional rather than dramatic or trying to top an outgoing model should theoretically be more durable and timeless. At this point I prefer the 918 to anything else, on looks alone.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They both have some great angles. 458 from the side and rear is just fierce. I never liked the nose. Awful headlights. Agree about the 458 being a bit dated already. Designs that are functional rather than dramatic or trying to top an outgoing model should theoretically be more durable and timeless. At this point I prefer the 918 to anything else, on looks alone.
Interesting you mention the 918. Which looks pretty much like the GT. And which, when you look at both of them head on, look a bit like the Ferrari 430. All nice looks, but kinda dated to me head on.

Love the other angles of the 918/GT. Really really beautiful. Really love the semi-truck style exhaust ports of the 918.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Then a beer tap/toast is on me should our paths cross! :)
Yessir beer works just fine!

I do believe that when you grow to love someone or something, you see beauty in all of their/its details. The love affair I have with this car borders on the unhealthy; my wife is placated only by the fact that it is a car, not a woman. :) In truth she is very supportive and agrees wholeheartedly that it is beautiful and very special. Plus she doesn't tease me for always leaving every morning through the front door, so that I can watch the garage door raise from the outside - a daily unveiling. :)

·
Registered
282 Posts
I think mclaren has followed the path similar to that of the f1... I wasn't thrilled when I first saw the f1. But over time, the design in terms of its simplicity exudes an elegance which was fairly timeless... Similarly, I see a lot of that aspect in the 12c... It just gets better looking the more you look at it over time...often, simplicity usually is the most enduring design element

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I still think the 458 is better looking -- love side profile with two-tone paint and the rear -- but the 12C is actually quite nice. Could it be better? Sure, but it's still very nice looking. I also think it's just one of those cars you have to see in the flesh. It is in fact much more exotic looking that people have been led to believe.

I have yet to find a car that hit every nail on the head -- price, looks, performance, experience. Every car seems to miss on some aspect. I think the next R8/Gallardo might finally deliver on all those fronts, but we'll have to wait and see.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Simplicity is key. For example, some MSO vents and ripples are troubling to me. As are all the aventador vents. I posted on Ferrari chat about them once after counting about 7 per side, not including openings on the exhaust and engine cover frames.

A tired analogy, but some women are attractive in the still frame. Others are more natural, versatile, earthy. Posing versus procreating.

There are prettier cars than the 12C. As tastes change, previous aesthetic choices (my 458) seem inferior. They aren't; it's me that has changed.

·
Owner
893 Posts
All I have noticed lately, is that many, many more people are drawn to this car than were to the 2 Gallardos that I had.
I've been amazed ..... it's like a bee to a sweet orange blossom. :)

·
Registered
499 Posts
I think the 12c overall shape is very nice. Love the rear haunches. But the exterior detailing is uninspiring and in some ways overly fussy, thereby detracting from the beautiful shape.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree. The Aston Martins may be another example. The design is not in-your-face but timeless and conservative in a sort of functional and rational way. It wears well for many years.

The front of the 458 may not. The 430 and Scuds look dated I think, just after a few years.

I think McLaren did great with the 12C and that the design will stand the test of time. But hey, I am not a car designer, just a guy who likes cars.

·
Registered
289 Posts
The 12C has an evergreen and timeless design... truly form over function:)

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Here's a nice video showing both cars in a great light. But it's the Mac that keeps surprising me with better looks. But again, YMMV. :)

http://www.gfwilliams.net/blog/Entry/16.html
You had to get Robbie in on the act!!!!!!!!!:) That will make his day,but well deserved.:cool:

For me,i just love all the swoops and hidden shapes you see from inside the car looking though the mirrors,shapes that are not obvious from the outside or in any 2D picture.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
1 - 20 of 55 Posts