McLaren Life banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone, I am listing these to see if there is an interest for them here on the forums. This is a set of front bumper skid plates that mount to the lower area that is prone to damage from driveways and unexpected road conditions. I make these out of marine grade Polyethylene, they attach with special aluminum tri-bulb rivets which are included, and can easily be done in your garage without removing your bumper if you enjoy working on your own car. I included a couple pics of them held up to a 12c that did not have skid plates installed to show fitment and coverage of existing damage.

I have priced them lower than I would normally sell them for to you guys here, as I would like to build a reputation for them and would like to encourage people on the forum to install/have them installed and leave their honest feedback. I have sets made for other McLaren models as well.
I just wanted to mention while I am registered as a vendor here, this is an after work hobby of mine, each set is hand made, not mass produced by a CNC machine.

Price is $180.00 shipped anywhere in the U.S. Please feel free to ask any questions.

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm interested. What tools are required for the installation? Don't have a pop rivet gun, I guess they aren't expensive.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm interested. What tools are required for the installation? Don't have a pop rivet gun, I guess they aren't expensive.
I actually use a Harbor Freight Tools cheap $5.00 hand rivet gun, the aluminum rivets I use install with very little effort. here is the link to the best deal I can find on one if you do not have one already.

https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-riveter-set-38353.html

Also worth mentioning, if anyone is in the Orange County area and wants to buy a set, you can bring your car by and I will install them for free for you, and that goes for any ones I make currently.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Would you be able to use a proper double sided tape to install? That way would avoid drilling.
Not sure what the tape is called, but used for other applications. Ie badges, spoilers and things that need to be properly secured.

People may be scared of drilling their bumper.
Great idea, I have something similar on my 570 and gives me much peace of mind when I hear the dreaded scrape.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Would you be able to use a proper double sided tape to install? That way would avoid drilling.
Not sure what the tape is called, but used for other applications. Ie badges, spoilers and things that need to be properly secured.

People may be scared of drilling their bumper.
Great idea, I have something similar on my 570 and gives me much peace of mind when I hear the dreaded scrape.
While I have seen people use the 3M trim tape to try to adhere skid plates on cars, I highly do not recommend doing so. Trim tape does not create a strong bond to the material the skid plate is made out of and hold it tight to the slight contours to the bumpers. I have experimented with "flame treating" the material which helps the tape stick better, but it is still not what I would consider safe. Depending on how the skid plates get impacted it could cause the tape to let loose in areas, and that combined with high speed driving can cause them to come off. The rivets are the safest and easiest option, second would be removing the bumper and using actual stainless steel threaded hardware. I remember years ago putting add on front spoilers and lips on my cars with trim tape only and bottoming out the car pulling out of a steep driveway, then having to pull over and pick up my new part and throw it in the car and hope nobody saw it come off.
Any time I have been to the McLaren or Ferrari dealer, the good majority of the sales/cars in for service have some brand of skid plates installed and they are always attached with rivets or nut and bolt hardware.

·
@ChaseZimmerman
335 Posts
NEW PRICE IS $129.00 SHIPPED !!! anywhere in the U.S.
I'll take a set. I have noticed lately (my 12C is lowered) that I have been scraping on many occasions and would like to try and prevent this as best as possible... Car looks too damn good lowered to go back to stock height. Lol! :D

PM me so I can get a set ordered! Thanks very much!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts