McLaren Life banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car usually started on the second crank with a jumpy idle and excessive exhaust smoke. Engine cranks, but won't start, I tried to start it in Extreme cold -7 and it was parked outside for 2-3 days in negative -0 weather, could that have created an issue with a seal?

Is there any way I can run a diagnostic with a universal diagnostic scan tool? I heard I need Mclaren Specific Laptop to check error codes?

Could it be a fuse? Is there a way to check the Spark plug? or if it's getting fuel/creating compression?

Thank you for any help or ideas, I'm really stuck with this, no warranty remaining and the dealer needs a few weeks to look at it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
With that kind of negative temps I would suspect a electrical plug has come undone. There is a procedure for retuning the fuel curve, that will help for the crazy start idle. Yes you must have a diagnostic scanner to read the sensors and look at the parameters but you can read codes with a OBD2 reader. If your dash isn't saying anything then I doubt you have codes in the ECU. Once you get it running follow these steps for several times, it will clean up your cold start.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With that kind of negative temps I would suspect a electrical plug has come undone. There is a procedure for retuning the fuel curve, that will help for the crazy start idle. Yes you must have a diagnostic scanner to read the sensors and look at the parameters but you can read codes with a OBD2 reader. If your dash isn't saying anything then I doubt you have codes in the ECU. Once you get it running follow these steps for several times, it will clean up your cold start.
View attachment 209517
Thank you for the information can any OBD2 reader plug into the 12c and read the codes? It does have an engine light.

"I would suspect a electrical plug has come undone" How would I check for this?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Thank you for the information can any OBD2 reader plug into the 12c and read the codes? It does have an engine light.

"I would suspect a electrical plug has come undone" How would I check for this?
The first thing I would do is check and see if you have any active codes on the car by using the stalk on the steering wheel, your manual will help you through this. There are many OBD2 readers and you can buy them at just about any auto parts store or even Walmart, Harbor Freight has them also. Do you have the check engine light come on at any time while its running? Do you have the message to take to Mclaren service pop up?

As far as finding a electrical plug undone this will require you to get into the engine area and just pull and push on all the electrical connectors to see if any are loose. Extreme cold could cause a loose connection to contract and pull out. A diagnostic reader would tell you if you have a sensor bad but an OBD2 reader might not. I seriously doubt you have a bad plug or coil, there are 8 of them so not starting at all wouldn't be just one of them. Just my thoughts.

Make sure you have gas in your tank, just read this from another thread. ;)

2012 MP4-12C
2,563 Posts
Spark plugs are a pain to get to, quite involved. While it may tell you something, especially if they need replaced, it should be a last resort.

Reactions: p2164
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.