McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First week with my Coupe. I am using it as a DD and I commute daily to Manhattan. One week (and 1000 miles) in, I am happy to report that the car is exceeding all of my expectations. The few well-known gremlins notwithstanding, the car does offer a range of performance and comfort that I find amazing. My previous DD was a Turbo S. As terrific as that car is, the McLaren definitely eclipses it in every respect (except extreme weather when the 4WD is missed).

Here's a shot from the road today. Empire State in the background.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
So where do you get to park it?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NYC parking garage--which is a good test of the lift kit. BTW, the lift kit is fully sorted, and does work great. Easy to engage, and it will auto disengage as speed increases.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Our 12Cs are kindred spirits, as mine handles the same daily commute duties into a large city (although your commute seems much longer than mine by your mileage).

The car has literally improved my quality of life, having turned a mundane and pain in the a$$ daily commute into two segments of absolute pleasure.

Did you find a Turbo S with winter tires very effective in snow? How was the ride height?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Half my first week's miles were the first day (obligatory first day road trip). But indeed, the commute is greatly improved by the 12C.

The Turbo S with winter tires plowed through pretty much anything. I only garaged her when the snow was above the front clearance. As for ride height--the Turbo was definitely higher from a passenger POV, but in terms of curbs etc., I find the 12C is doing the same or better. I tend to only use the lift kit for my NYC garage at this point--haven't had an issue elsewhere. I do find it helps to set the ride to Sport to help with curbs and bumps in the city (did the same on the Turbo). For what its worth, even on Sport, the 12C offers a better ride than the Turbo on soft.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine are standard (orange). Not likely you've seen me yet...this is ownership week 1.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Congrats on the purchase!!

Where r the pics of the car;)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks.

It's been raining or snowing virtually every day since I took delivery. As soon as the sun comes out I'll post some pics.

·
Registered
886 Posts
You are brave man! Congrats on enjoying it in one of the harshest places on the planet.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A quick shot--notice pile of snow in background.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Lol, man that is a ton of snow back there! Hope you got some Sotto Zeros on! ;)

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
That's what I call a lot of snow jp33pds, I gather that picture wasn't taken after the big storm. If so, where the hell did you put it all, let me guess you've got a radiant heated driveway with the upgraded lawn package. Lol....

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Those last few mounds are what's left-over after a few weeks of rain...we had it piled everywhere. The average at my house was about 18 inches.

On the tire front, I'm running summers right now, because I though I had missed the winter with a March delivery. Got that wrong.

This morning it was clear, but the temp was 28F. Really too cold for the tires, but I took the 12C anyway. Pretty handy to watch the tire temp gauge on the way in. They started warm from the garage, and stayed about 55-60F for the entire ride. Probably still too cold, but no issues just cruising in and taking it easy.

Another snow storm expected Wednesday. I'll be taking the SUV for that one, to be sure. Can only push this DD thing so far...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
NYC-DD update--6,000 miles/4 months

Having used the 12C as my dd for the past 4 months and 6,000 miles, I figured I'd offer a quick update:

First, in light of some of the posts I've read, I feel it is important to note that the car has been flawless. It is Porsche solid, and everything works perfectly. (Nav is a work in progress, but all other electronics are quite good).

The car has used no oil, and tire wear is reasonable so far.

The car is really spectacular in all aspects, and it only gets better with daily use. It is fun in all the ways it is supposed to be, plus it is completely un-phased by all the trials and tribulations of a NYC commute.

As much as I found the Turbo S to be great (and it was), the 12C is really in a league of its own. I think McLaren has done quite a job, and I'm quite happy every day with my car.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I must say, I really like the color and interior trim of your car. Grey looks really good on the 12c.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts