McLaren Life banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at mclaren Philadelphia last week. They had an orange MP on the floor with what appeared to be factory carbon fiber exhaust tips. Needless to say, they looked beautiful. Does anyone know the cost of these? Does anyone make these on the aftermarket scene? Cost? And if so, do you think that they are an easy self install, or does half the darn bumper need to be taken off?

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I was at mclaren Philadelphia last week. They had an orange MP on the floor with what appeared to be factory carbon fiber exhaust tips. Needless to say, they looked beautiful. Does anyone know the cost of these? Does anyone make these on the aftermarket scene? Cost? And if so, do you think that they are an easy self install, or does half the darn bumper need to be taken off?
The only one that I know of is Akrapovik they make tips but not for the Mac.

·
C A R B O N
342 Posts
They are not a MOS product. They are made under the same prepeg autoclave process that the factory uses in the same 3k twill Carbon Fiber.

David

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"Does anyone know the cost of these? Does anyone make these on the aftermarket scene? Cost? And if so, do you think that they are an easy self install, or does half the darn bumper need to be taken off?"

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
"Does anyone know the cost of these? Does anyone make these on the aftermarket scene? Cost? And if so, do you think that they are an easy self install, or does half the darn bumper need to be taken off?"
I would not waste your time. I highly doubt they will be able to handle the heat. They will look like crap in less than 6 months.

·
C A R B O N
342 Posts
The tailpipe temps I we have seen are aprox 300-325F after a very spirited drive and a heat soak. The CF itself is tollerant to heat. It is the resin that is the issue normal breakdown( yellowing ) happens at about 200-250 degrees. There are higher temp reseins available in pre-peg form. Additionaly the finishers are lined with a heat protective layer good to 1200F radiant and 800F direct.

They are an excluseive product at this time available through McLaren of Philly only. 610 886 3000

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
The tailpipe temps I we have seen are aprox 300-325F after a very spirited drive and a heat soak. The CF itself is tollerant to heat. It is the resin that is the issue normal breakdown( yellowing ) happens at about 200-250 degrees. There are higher temp reseins available in pre-peg form. Additionaly the finishers are lined with a heat protective layer good to 1200F radiant and 800F direct.

They are an excluseive product at this time available through McLaren of Philly only. 610 886 3000
Well, show me a car with them installed after 2000 miles of spirited driving.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Well, show me a car with them installed after 2000 miles of spirited driving.
I've got a set on my BMW X6M from day one and the vehicle is over a year old. The CF tips still look brand spanking new on my truck. So depending on who makes the tips/exhaust system I'm sure discoloration can occur. Cheers....??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts